Turn on thread page Beta

How did you meet your significant other? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a real sucker for love stories and would like to know how you met your partner whether that be boyfriend /girlfriend or husband/wife. I've still yet to find mine but I look forward to hearing some interesting stories!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Br33gu11)
    We were both members of a forum for a video game series we're both into, although we had never spoke to each other personally even though we'd both been members for a number of years.

On Valentine's Day a few years ago, I was outbid on an eBay listing for some comics related to the series that I'd been after for a while and mentioned it on the forum just afterwards. Turned out that he was the person who outbid me and he left a comment about us bumping the prices up for each other, and then asked if he could add me on MSN so we could talk about some other issues the seller had listed and work something out so we didn't end up paying over the odds for things again.

We ended up just talking a lot in general after that as we had a lot of mutual interests, and within a few months we became best friends.

There's an annual convention for the series in held in London and I had been planning to attend it that year, but something happened last minute and I wasn't able to make it. BF said he would get me a little something to cheer me up and ended up getting a hold of the series' creator who was a guest at the convention that year and got him to sign a T-Shirt for me, which I had not been expecting at all and it was one of the coolest things anyone has ever done for me. Afterwards he mentioned that he'd love to give it to me in person and we spoke about meeting up a few times, and also ended up flirting quite a lot and even admitted that we liked each other, but unfortunately one thing or another always got in the way of us actually meeting up and it was a long time before that actually happened.

We spoke on the phone once or twice in between, although I'm quite awkward with things like that and didn't do it often because I feel weird chatting to someone when I can't see them, and my BF wasn't too keen about going on cam since he was a little self-concious about it.

Eventually we did start to cam chat at the start of 2013 and at that point we still hadn't met up due to various circumstances that had happened in-between, but in August it was time for the annual convention again and this time I managed to make it down to London to attend. We decided to book a hotel room and spend the weekend together to see how things went, although afterwards we both admitted that we'd been a little terrified that the other one wouldn't like them as much in person and we'd just be stuck in a room feeling awkward for a good part of the weekend.

After a 9 hour bus trip with a local guy I'd met from the forum however, we met up at London Victoria Station and got on just as well in person from the moment we met each other. There was the initial "Oh hello!" and it felt a little strange to actually see each other in person at first as we had been talking online for over two years by that point, but it passed quickly and we got on so well. Both of us just felt 100% comfortable with each other and that is quite rare for me, and we ended up wishing we'd decided to stay a little longer since the time just went by so fast.

We had such a good time that I decided to travel to his place a few weeks later for the first time and spent a weekend there before the holidays ended, and also met his parents who were absolutely lovely.

He's since visited me and we've met up at least every month or two since then, and also spent Christmas together which was amazing. Going to visit him again for over two weeks when half term starts next week which I'm really looking forward to. He's still my best friend as well as my boyfriend and we always have an awesome time together no matter what we end up doing, and I'm so glad those auctions popped up and got us to start talking in the first place.

The distance is the only thing that does suck, although it could be a lot worse and at least we get to see each other on a semi-regular basis.

tl;dr: Mutual interests... which I'm quite sure would have been my boyfriend's answer to this question. :lol:
    Wow, that was worth the read! Amazing!

ReputationRep:
    I've had bad experiences with relationship so when i met my boyfriend I wasn't looking for a relationship. My sister and her husband are really into cars and they have a car group that meet up every so often. There just happened to be a meeting the time my sister asked me to go and i met my bf there.
    At first there was the initial introductions and things then we all went on a night out. I didn't really speak to him at all but i took plenty of pictures of the clubbing night and then I saw him the next day when everyone gathered to look at cars and race them around track. When it comes to uploading pictures to facebook, i have a weird obsession with needing to tag everyone in a picture.
    Since i had taken pictures of him, i decided i would need to add him as a friend in order to tag him in the photos. He accepted and then it turned out that he had taken photos of me as well! So he uploaded those ones and I commented on one of the pictures and he commented back and before we knew it, we ended up having our first conversation lasting about 2 hours with over 100 comments on the single picture! I was shocked that we could talk so easily and everything was so natural. A week or two later, the car group met up to go to the cinemas and I went along as well. He told people that he would be a bit late and advised them to go ahead and just save him a seat so i deliberately hung back so that i could be at the end of the row. This way, when he arrived, I would get to sit next to him hahaha
    I really felt chemistry between us and from then, we progressed to texting and began texting each other every day! ( a year and a half later and we still talk to each other every day! )

I told him before that i wasn't looking for a relationship and when guys hear that, they usually back away and dont try anymore but my bf kept talking to me and trying and that was something i really appreciated. He asked me out in september and at that point, i was still wary of getting into a relationship. Also, he asked me out through text! I don't like it when guys ask girls out over text so i told him that if he ever asked me out through text again, i'd punch him in the face! lolol Usually guys would be like alright, weirdo and i'd never hear from them again. But my bf translated that as try again so he waited a few months while still talking to me every day. From the day he confessed, we were progressing from friends to more than friends and you know, if he hadn't asked me out through text, i would have really thought about saying yes to him so at this point we were at that awkward stage where we were seeing each other but it wasn't official?
    I then realised that as much as I hated to admit it, I had completely fallen for him and there was nothing I could do about it.
    Then on Christmas Eve, he came over to my house with doughnuts and near midnight, he asked me if I would be his girlfriend to which I said yes, thought you'd never ask!
    It was the best Christmas day ever

ReputationRep:
    We met on twitter

A celebrity had started a hashtag relating to a band we're both fans of so we were both tweeting jokes using that. He saw me when he was reading the other tweets on the hashtag and liked my picture so he followed me.

We had a few brief exchanges over the next few months until one night I was drunk tweeting and he replied and we flirted a little. He then sent me a private message and we started speaking properly. We spoke every day for a week when he gave me his phone number and about a week and a half after that, we met up in person.

I'd only seen a few pictures of him so when we met in person, I didn't recognise him and walked right passed him at the station and he had to run after me.

It will be 2 years since that day we first met next week

EDIT: my boyfriend is not the celeb, he is just someone else who was using the hashtag, I just realised it makes it look like I'm dating the guy who started the hashtag!

ReputationRep:
    we met in a book shop where we were both playing a really geeky card game. I was seeing someone else at the time so we just became friends and used to hang out with other friends.
    When me and my ex broke up, my ex decided to get a friend over to cheer me up, and it was Chris, who sat really uncomfortably while I cried over the break up. to cheer me up he would take me out with friends to the cinema and to just hang out in town, then one night when we were down the pub he pulled me over to one side and asked if it would be ok to kiss me (he's quite quiet and shy) and we've been together ever since.
    We finally get married in July after dating for 4 and a half years

ReputationRep:
    In chemistry class at secondary school. He sat in front of me and he kept turning around and looking at me and took a beamer when I walked by or when we had to work together. He was friends with my best guy friend but I never knew that until a year later, my bf was with my guy friend and I popped up on my friend's MSN list and he recognized me from the pic as the girl in chemistry and he moaned at my friend to let him add me and he added me on there and FB and we started talking and then the next day we met up with all our friends and we just hung out and it went from there.

ReputationRep:
    My first ever date with my girlfriend, I had met her while she was on holiday and I on conference in Phuket, Thailand. During one of the breaks I went scuba-diving and that is where I first met her.

Then I asked her whether she wanted to go for an authentic Thai meal not one of those tourist-tuned crap stuff. I did the ordering and was a bit naughty, ordered some rather extra spicy ones.

Then she said she knew one very good ice cream place that she had been to as a kid, she made me walk with her 5km and there was no ice cream place, we were in the town area. It was already evening that time and we passed by one guy who was renting out motorbikes and jeeps, I told her I will bring her somewhere nice. I rented one open top jeep and drove it to the southern part of the island just in time to catch sunset. She thought I was crazy but loved it. Pity couldn't hear a thing she said while driving as that jeep had a very noisy engine and the wind just carried the voices away.

After that drove to the most northern point of the island and it would have been a non-story but on the way back there was a huge tropical downpour and that Jeep didn't have the canvas to prevent the rain. I drove into a fuel station, bought raincoats and we continued our drive back. I told her we should have rented something better and she said she wouldn't have it any other way.

We went out for dinner after that at another authentic Thai places and then I introduced her to the world of massages....... that was 5 years ago. She is still hooked on massages till today except she prefers it when I give it to her...... I wish I never brought her for that first one

ReputationRep:
    We met on holiday in Spain. It was my first day on holiday and I ended up joining in a game of beach volleyball, and talking to one of the other guys that was playing. He seemed quite friendly; he was Polish though and his English was relatively limited, but we met up the following day to play table tennis. When we next met up to play table tennis after that he brought along a friend, who was also Polish, but who was much better at English and much more talkative than the first guy.

My sister and I then met up with both of them a couple more times, but I found I had much more to talk about with the second guy. On my last day in Spain we spent most of the day together, and he genuinely seemed upset that I was leaving.

Shortly after getting back home, I sent him a Facebook message. He replied back, and before we knew it we'd been talking for three hours, and it just felt so natural. So we agreed to talk the following evening. Before I knew it, we were chatting virtually every evening; after a few weeks that progressed to Skype, and before we knew it we were telling each other everything; I found myself opening up to him more than I did to friends I had known for years.

We were talking over Facebook for nine months, just as friends, before we met up again - it was his 18th birthday, and he invited me over to Poland for his party, plus to also do some sightseeing, etc. We got on really well; we were just talking about everything. Then came the first time he held my hand - he just took it because we needed to hurry across a road, but it felt really natural. And then things just went from there...and we've been together for ten months, still going strong.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Wow! Great love stories on here ! :yy: !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fashion Girl)
    Wow! Great love stories on here ! :yy: !
    I know right!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww I'm loving the feels on this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Awww I'm loving the feels on this thread
    I wish I had a story to share but unfortunately not lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I met my girlfriend (and also my best friend) :love: through TSR.

We got talking on a thread of hers and discovered we each have a mutual love (and completely understandable) love for pandas We got to VMing each other and haven't stopped since!

In December (after a couple of months) we met up for the first time - went to the cinema and then just chatted for a couple of hours And we've met up several times since - it's hard only seeing her every couple/few weeks but it's worth it be said the time we have together is second to none and I love her very very much!! :love:

ReputationRep:
    I was bored one day so went onto Yahoo Members Directory online (which no longer exists) to find people who live nearish me to chat to. This one guy started talking back, and we chatted a few more times after that.
    After a week or two we arranged to meet up. We met up a few more times, went out clubbing and so on, until he asked me out. At first I said no, so he tried again a couple of weeks later, and I said yes, and basically Bob's your uncle.

That was nearly 13 years ago (and we celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary next week).

ReputationRep:
    Met in the back garden of a crappy bar. I took them to Nandos

ReputationRep:
    On the first day of sixth form. We were sat next to each other in the chapel while the lists of forms were being read out. Our forms weren't announced until the end so I told him I felt like the little boy Santa Claus forgot. I thought he was cute and seemed like a nice guy. It turned out that he was in 2 of my lessons and over the next few months we went from occasionally talking to each other to flirting every now and then to everyone in our year guessing that we liked each other. We celebrated our 2nd anniversary in January

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I had met and become friends at college fairly recently. We were sitting at the computers in the college library, discussing how we'd misjudged one another's taste in music when we met. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I ended up deciding that it was necessary for us to ask somebody else's opinion on what sort of music we 'looked' as though we liked. There was a boy sitting next to us, so I asked him. It transpired that we all liked similar music. My friend left and he and I had what was, to the best of my recollection, a very brief and awkward conversation about music.

We've now been together for almost two years and there's no doubt in my mind that he's the love of my life.

ReputationRep:
    Well I FIRST met my SO (Eleanor) back in primary school (or elementary school for the Americans) when we were 5 years old. She'd just moved down to London from Yorkshire, and everyone else in the class thought she had a funny accent, except me. I offered to be her buddy for the week, to help her find her way around the school and such. Over the next year we became great friends, and I helped introduce her to several other people who would go on to become good friends to her as well.

Unfortunately, at the end of that academic year, my mum got me to change schools. We lost contact for a long time.

Fast forward to January 2010, I've had Facebook for about 6 months now, and I'm slowly rediscovering a lot of people from both my primary schools. Among them, was Eleanor. We started talking online and caught up with each others pasts. We met up a few times, chatted, generally became good friends over the next few months. A week after her 16th birthday party, I asked her out.

Since then we've dealt with family death, mental breakdowns, exams, living apart at university and more. And then, February last year, I asked her to marry me. She said yes

We have a very odd relationship (I'm a physics student, she's a classical music lover) but we complement each other and are happiest in each others company. We have no official wedding date set yet, but we're considering summer 2015.

ReputationRep:
    in my dreams

ReputationRep:
    Thread died

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2014
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.