TheGeekGal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys!

So I have about seven weeks left before exams start. everyone is expecting me to get A/A* but I've barely started revision. I crammed for three to four house for my science additional 2b mock the night before and don't know how but got 62/90 which was apparently an A*? Sam story for GeographyPhysical and I got an A in my maths mock but I'm still panicking since I never get mock grades in real exams.

with maths I don't know where to start ( I have about ten weeks till the first mats exam) How do I do it and how much do I revise? science about seven weeks. Again how do I do it? , I can't seem to focus every time I try to sit down and I'm now panicking that I'll let myself and everyone else down like crazy!! not to mention geography and French. I'm not confident but the only subject I'm kinda okay with is English.

there also the the fact that all of my friends have begun revising, one girl got B-Ds last year and now she's been revising so much plus tutor that she's getting A to A* 's in ever subject!! I'm nervous and scared because I have this kind of pressure to be the best from everyone personally I iust want to do the best I can but I know I'm not pushing myself and I don't know what to do??

So please thoughts advice, friendly support? honestly I could do with anything right now??
Firenze26
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I sort of have the same problem, while not expecting the same grade as yours, my classmates, teachers and my parents expect me to get high grades on my GCSEs. I'm actually sitting 7 exams on the 2nd half of May and the 1st half of June, and man, I'm nervous, I mean this is my first GCSE exams. Anyway, don't pressure yourself too much, while it can help you revise, too much will cause you to stress out. Don't focus on other people's situation, focus on your own, you'll just try and unconsciously mimic them and that's a bad thing since you will have a different learning style than them.

For Maths, I would suggest to memorise the key formulas and just practice, unlike Science, your maths knowledge is applied on a series of questions you may not have seen before, so you'll need to know how to apply it to any question so you can answer exam questions, go to mymaths or emaths or khanacademy or whatever.

For Science (I'm actually going to do Chemistry and Biology, this year), I think that you'll just need to memorise key words and concepts for Biology and the application of concepts in chemistry. For physics, I suggest you do the same thing as maths, memorize formulas and answer questions since I heard that physics have numerous questions related to maths but don't forget to memorise the key words and key concepts, it is still afterall a Science. I don't know what to say for the others since I'm not taking it or since I suck at it. But just remember that I've never actually sat a GCSE exam before, it's my 1st time y'know.

Good luck on your test,. BTW, what exams are you doing for science? Are you taking Triple?
TheGeekGal
Rep:
?
Thanks I'm doing the double, I've done my core science and came out with an A, I'm doing addition but doing two papers that have one paper with mixed 2a and one paper with mixed 2b ( so chem physics and bio in one)

good luck on your gcses and I guess I have been kinda of mimicking them. There's also the fact that when i go to redivide I have so many subjects I just start streaky about how I won't be able to cover them ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
EeeekI'mGnaFail!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol same predicament.
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're only GCSEs. Wait until you've got A-Levels to do...
futbol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're only GCSEs. Wait until you've got A-Levels to do..
futbol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're only GCSEs. Wait until you've got A-Levels to do then you'll see what stress actually is.
futbol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They are only GCSEs. Wait until you've got A-Levels to do then you'll see what stress actually is.
i'mlaura
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seriously CHILL! You still have a long time, it good that you obviously care a lot about your results, but you should already have the motivation to revise because you want to do well, don't do it for anyone else but yourself. Otherwise what will you do when it gets to A-levels or even University? This little bit of revision you have to do is nothing, so you need to get a grip (in the nicest way).

Revision for maths: lots and lots of past papers in timed conditions. When you mark it you will see the areas that you are struggling with, then get your gcp revision guide and learn it as well as the method in the mark scheme.

Science: set yourself a target of papers each night, aim to have gone through everything in about three weeks. Read through the page, cover it up and write down what you remember on another page. Have a piece of paper in your notebook as well with key definitions and equations that you just need to memorize. For the next few weeks continue to keep reading through the revision guides, your notes and do lots of past papers, several times if you have to.

History: I have no idea. Practice papers again?

English: Make sure you know the texts and key points in the plot really well. Write your paragraphs using Point, Evidence, Explain, Language.

You must be clever if you're getting good grades without much revision, so apply yourself and hopefully it won't take you too long to pick up concepts.

I got 6 A*'s and 4 A's at GCSE by revising about three/ two weeks before the exam. Though at AS I found it really hard and got BCCD in Bio, Chem, Maths and English Lit.

Good luck!
TheGeekGal
Rep:
?
Thank you all, and I've actually begun revising I've done most of chemistry, I'm not too worried about maths, I've done 2/3 rds of physical geography. so about five weeks and still have human geography, phsyics and biology, French, and some maths and English revision so not too worried
helpstressedout
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know what to do I have threeeeks left and haven't done anything I am predicted 8A*s 3As
I have completed maths and religious studies I got 2As; Iam retaking religious studies. In total I have 13 subjects haven't started revision I am panicking
What do I do ? I have got a conditional offer at a grammar sixth form I really want to go to based on those grades
I did a past paper 10 minutes ago and totally failed, I barely knew what I was doing
NatashaG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got 11 A*s at GCSE and the best advice I could give you is to stop panicking, you're obviously very bright because of the scores you got in your mocks...I did the very best in the subjects where I played it cool and just did past paper after past paper after past paper! If you put pressure on yourself you wont be able to relax in exam day, you need to go in with a cool head, remember GCSE science is all about memory and common sense and knowing key concepts...Maths is all about being precise and remembering a few rules, literally just do some hard questions and you'll be surprised at how shockingly easy the majority of questions are! English is all bout understanding texts and engaging with them creatively, DO NOT just copy what someone else thinks about a text the examiner can tell you aren't engaging fully with the text..

And with learning content for any exam just split it into chunks and don't just recite learn how to apply to exam questions...so what I do is make notes with exam questions in mind, structuring all of my thought processes around how the content will apply to an exam situtation goooood luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads