The Student Room Group

Cardiff Law School now a bad choice?

umm so I've heard some things which have got me a bit worried and I'm thinking maybe i should see if i can change my choice? I thought cardiff was a good place for law but I've been told that the law school is broke and its merging with the politics school to generate more money. i don't see how this a good thing as it will lose its rank right? also i was told that a 3rd year lecturer in jurisprudence just up and left the country midway through without telling anyone and now the students in their 3rd year are suffering which sounds quit bad. they sacked a new tutor too last year because waaay too many of the year failed. my friend also told me that its not that friendly on the course but integrated is nicer. anyone else hear this?
Hello, I am the admissions secretary for the LLB Law course. One of my colleagues passed on your message to me and I would like to try and ease your concerns.

Firstly, you should not worry about the coming changes to the law school. We will be merging with the politics department, but this is not because we need the money and it will not adversely impact the standard of education we can offer. We are doing this to expand the range of research and teaching expertise at the school and this change will be extremely beneficial to students on some of our integrated degrees, such as the Law and Criminology LLB and the Law and Politics LLB. Expanding our teaching and research skills to include politics will allow us to continue offering high quality teaching and supervision and we are very excited about it. It will certainly not damage our credibility and we will not lose our ranking in the law tables as a result. If anything we hope that it may help to improve our reputation.

I am not familiar with the rumours about staff leaving, but I can say that it is quite common for university staff (at any university) to leave for other job opportunities and all staff have the option to leave at any time, after an working their agreed notice period. We will always try to minimise the impact that this will have on our students by providing alternative staff to cover any classes already underway.

If you have any additional questions about any of these points or if you would like to chat further, then please feel free to contact me on [email protected].
Reply 2
Hi there,

I'm a 3rd year law student at Cardiff and perhaps I can clear up a few things.

The law school is and will continue to be an excellent place to study. Lecturers include the leading professors in personal injury, family law (they write THE textbook) and religious law.

The merger was nothing to do with finances, the politics school asked to become part of the law school. It will not change the law schools rankings and it will remain Cardiff Law School but with a department of Politics. This can only be advantageous, it will allow more interdisciplinary modules, often law and politics cross over due to the law often changing due to different people in power in Westminster! It will also make us a bigger school and this have a stronger lobbying power in the senior university meetings to make sure we get all we want!!

In regards to Juris, yes one of the lectures left to take a position in Australia however a new lecturer was put in place straight away so no time was lost. Obviously different lecturers have different views (perhaps more so in juris which is all about the philosophy of law) however this can only help students gain better insight into the arguments and thus produce better essays. After all university is all about debating the issues and researching your own opinions!

I presume the second point is about land? The tutor didn't get sacked because people failed (I got a first!!) but some students prefer the styles of teaching of one tutor more than another with some students liking the opposite! At any rate the lecturer now running land law is excellent and well liked by students.

In regard to friendliness, I have made my closest friends in law so I completely disagree with it. You have to remember however that a law lecture consists of 300 people, there are less on integrated degrees so it is perhaps easier to make friends with a larger proportion of the course.

The Law Society is a fantastic way to make friends across all years as well. Last year winning the Best Big Society in Cardiff university!

Does that help clear things up? Any more questions I'll be happy to answer :smile:
Reply 3
Hi rhys1004,

I was wondering if you could explained how the modules are conducted. Is it a 100% examination based? or a 75% exam and 25% coursework?

I had heard from some of the friends that Juris is a tough subject to score. Is that true?

From the cardiff website, I have read that each of the student will be assigned with a personal tutor.(maybe I read it wrongly) but could you clarify that and how does it work?

It would be better of you could tell me about your daily life as a law student. I think it would be helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending