The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

GSA questions?

So from september I'll be at Ravensbourne in London taking my foundation. Then I am contemplating heading to glasgow either do Product Design, or Textiles. I pretty much know my way around the city already as i have plenty of family there, so i know that i'd adore it. and my london accent disappears quite fast whenever i'm up! annnnd i can transfer stores from my current job

But yeah...

1. I heard that you have to be a non-UK student to get halls?! As much as the daily 8 hour each way commute back and forth to london appeals... true or false?
2. Hopefully I would be applying for 2nd year (due to the foundation), but i'm not really bothered if i did 1st. Saying i did start at 1st the one problem i forsee is the age difference. i will be almost 20, in a course of 17 year olds. I could be very wrong, but down here ID is so stupidly strict i could imagine just not having a social life! My mother swears not, but i think that the situation has changed from the 70s in aberdeen. What do people think/know?
3. just how wonderful is the nightlife for indie/electro?

i know i sound like a total fool but i do have a slight fear moving from london that my social life will die completely!
1. Rubbish - I was offered halls, and I'm 45 minutes drive from Glasgow. The halls aren't particularly big or lovely though, just to let you know - some courses (Product Design Engineering being one of them) get offered halls with the university though, as the course is split between the two unis.

2. Most people won't be 17 - I took a year out, came back and went into 1st year, and was a year older than most on my course. I was 19, they were pretty much all 18. If you skip first year, you definately won't have this problem. I don't think PD allow direct entry to 2nd year, but you can ask - my course, PDE, allows accelerated entry, but it's based on the engineering side of things, not the design side. ID varies wildly depending on the venue, but I've never really been in a situation where it's been an issue.

3. Glasgow has the best club and music scenes in Scotland. End of story. The Art School Union has a totally different vibe from any other union I've been in, and their taste in music certainly covers most bases - there are also loads of clubs, venues and arenas in the city for your musical tastes.

Any more questions, ask - I'm heading into second year Product Design Engineering (NOT Product Design - the two courses are very different, and we hate each other with a passion... just kidding!), so I can give you a bit of info - there would appear to be pretty much nobody else on here at GSA, unfortunately!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
wonderfulwonderful

yes i was going to do the BEng, but after GCSE physics coming out with a B (after being predicted an A*), going onto the alevel, i realised i knew absolutly NOTHING about physics. first year we had an insane irish man who didn't notice we spent the whole time facing the other way playing truth or dare, 2nd year i had a guy who told us about working in the navy every week. hahaha

yeah i heard the clubbing was pretty buff. i think i just have this terrible fear coming from london where i can go out every night to something pretty great, i will end up somewhere where there is nowt. i'm a classic bingedrinking dancewhore. i have however decided it is my new dream to do a clubnight wherever i go. hahaha. also i work at carbon so generally everyone knows whereabouts to go. just as long as it isn't filled with NME/after****e/frog style nights i'll be a happy girl
Reply 3
wonderfulwonderful

yes i was going to do the BEng, but after GCSE physics coming out with a B (after being predicted an A*), going onto the alevel, i realised i knew absolutly NOTHING about physics. first year we had an insane irish man who didn't notice we spent the whole time facing the other way playing truth or dare, 2nd year i had a guy who told us about working in the navy every week. hahaha

yeah i heard the clubbing was pretty buff. i think i just have this terrible fear coming from london where i can go out every night to something pretty great, i will end up somewhere where there is nowt. i'm a classic bingedrinking dancewhore. i have however decided it is my new dream to do a clubnight wherever i go. hahaha. also i work at carbon so generally everyone knows whereabouts to go. just as long as it isn't filled with NME/after****e/frog style nights i'll be a happy girl
The GSA Union is a love/hate affair. I hate it. Saturday night is Club NME, so you might want to avoid it then! The other nights are apparently better, but the barstaff are useless, so I can't be bothered with it - especially considering there are so many other better bars and clubs nearby.
Reply 5
BiscuitFuelled
The GSA Union is a love/hate affair. I hate it. Saturday night is Club NME, so you might want to avoid it then! The other nights are apparently better, but the barstaff are useless, so I can't be bothered with it - especially considering there are so many other better bars and clubs nearby.

By GSA you mean Glasgow school of art? I love that union. There is a high percentage of posers, but that provides quality comedy value. GSA union is cheap, dark, and mostly has good music if you like that sort of thing.

But there are plenty of other great places too.
Reply 6
This sounds like my sort of scene lol.
Reply 7
haha i'm often perceived as a poser. but i know my stuff!
i'm seriously considering glasgow again. it's there or stay in london
Reply 8
I dunno what it is, but I've always preferred the sort of clubs that are dingy, cheap, with banging rock music, where you're more likely to stick to the floors, but can mosh/ dance away like a foolio and nobody cares. Much more than these pristine white, uber 'trendy' hip hop type places, where everyone seems to aspire to look like P-Diddy or Beyonce and wishes that they all had solid gold tooth caps and floor length white mink coats. Where if you're not 'cool' in exactly the same way that everyone else is 'cool' you're not really worth acknowledging.
Reply 9
i just need lots of electro
Reply 10
scruffs
I dunno what it is, but I've always preferred the sort of clubs that are dingy, cheap, with banging rock music, where you're more likely to stick to the floors, but can mosh/ dance away like a foolio and nobody cares. Much more than these pristine white, uber 'trendy' hip hop type places, where everyone seems to aspire to look like P-Diddy or Beyonce and wishes that they all had solid gold tooth caps and floor length white mink coats. Where if you're not 'cool' in exactly the same way that everyone else is 'cool' you're not really worth acknowledging.

I totally 100 percent agree with you!
I agree with you - those types of clubs are usually filled with people who think they're the height of fashion, when they're actually the dregs at the bottom of the glass. The best clubs are the ones that don't try and price each other out of the market - they're the ones that rely on reputation.

Latest

Trending

Trending