The Student Room Group

Help with uni choices

Hey guys,

I'm really struggling to make a choice between two universities and was hoping you could help? The choice is between the best uni for my course or the 4th best but the one that I had an amazing time at on the open day. The real question is should I go for career prospects and possibly not enjoy uni as much or have a better time doing my Bsc and then just do an MSc at the better uni afterwards? :confused:

Thanks.
Lots of useful advice about Firm & Insurance choices here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of useful advice about Firm & Insurance choices here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices

That's not really helpful though is it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Career prospects, think long-term, especially in this current job market.
where are you going to be more happy? thats what matters.
Original post by Chris314
That's not really helpful though is it

Look carefully at the course content. Don't make your choice on anything as nebulous as 'reputation' or 'job prospects'. 'Employment' chances - these so-called statistics are notoriously dodgy. Whatever % rate of graduate employment is being quoted is not a guarantee of a job at the end of the course since that depends on you as a candidate not the course you did. If you don't enjoy the course you will be doing every day for three years, it'll be a very miserable three years and your chances of a 2.1 or above will be low simply for that reason. If that means doing an MSc later at another Uni, so be it.
Reply 6
Original post by caitlinlouise97
where are you going to be more happy? thats what matters.

I think I'd be happier at the worse one, but that could just be because of the really good open day I went to, how can I tell?

Look carefully at the course content. Don't make your choice on anything as nebulous as 'reputation' or 'job prospects'. 'Employment' chances - these so-called statistics are notoriously dodgy. Whatever % rate of graduate employment is being quoted is not a guarantee of a job at the end of the course since that depends on you as a candidate not the course you did. If you don't enjoy the course you will be doing every day for three years, it'll be a very miserable three years and your chances of a 2.1 or above will be low simply for that reason. If that means doing an MSc later at another Uni, so be it.

Will it impact my chances of securing a good job though if my BSc is from a less well respected uni, or will they just look at where my MSc is from?
Employers or other Universities are not as obsessed about 'reputation' as most school leavers seem to be. They are more interested in you, and what you have done at Uni (consistent course results, subject/topic interests and 'other stuff' like relevant vacation jobs, voluntary work, placements etc), than the self-marketing image of that Uni. So unless that Uni is really dire (London Met etc) don't get hung up on 'reputation'.
Original post by Chris314
I think I'd be happier at the worse one, but that could just be because of the really good open day I went to, how can I tell?

Is there any way you can visit the uni again, on a regular day? I'm from mainland Europe and it's impossible for me to make it to the open days, so I'm setting up a 'private viewing' on a regular weekday. I think that's the ideal way to see the school, honestly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Honestly you should go for the Uni you think you're going to be happiest at. You're going to be spending 3 years at University at least, and you don't want to go to a place which you're not going to be happy at. Going to see the Unis on a regular day is a good idea as you can see what place will be best, but go with where you will be happiest since going to University is 3 years of your life, and you want to make the best of it, even if it means going to a 'worse' Uni, because it may end up being the better choice for you in the end.

You can always do the Masters at the better Uni if you want to, as you've said. For example, I want to be a Primary School teacher, but I'm going to do Psychology at Uni and take a teaching degree after that, as I think that will be more enjoyable for me. Yes it takes more time, but I would rather do that than go straight into a Primary Education degree (however that is only me).

So basically, do what will make you happiest, because it's 3 years of your life.
When the reputations are quite similar, definitely gut feeling/happiness over reputation, no doubt about it.
Employers or other Universities are not as obsessed about 'reputation' as most school leavers seem to be. They are more interested in you, and what you have done at Uni (consistent course results, subject/topic interests and 'other stuff' like relevant vacation jobs, voluntary work, placements etc), than the self-marketing image of that Uni. So unless that Uni is really dire (London Met etc) don't get hung up on 'reputation'.

Original post by The Wild Youth
When the reputations are quite similar, definitely gut feeling/happiness over reputation, no doubt about it.

I agree with the above posts.

My husband enjoyed his studies at London Met so much that he gained a first class degree and is working in a high graded job.

Go with your gut feeling and definitely visit the universities again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending