The Student Room Group

Why can't I get an interview?

I've been applying online for over 2 months now (I plan to physically hand out CV's later this week) but so far I've had no positive responses if any replies at all.

I am applying for fashion retail which I have over a years experience in gained from working in an Oxford Street store, I also have interned as a fashion assistant at a magazine for over 5 months. I have very high A levels and I am studying for a degree at a Russell Group uni, so when I receive responses from employers such as 'Unfortunately we have decided that you are not a part of this selection.
We mainly looked at experience, education and affinity with fashion.' I don't understand where I am going wrong?

I even got rejected from Primark!

Reply 1
Original post by JasmineLDN
I've been applying online for over 2 months now (I plan to physically hand out CV's later this week) but so far I've had no positive responses if any replies at all.

I am applying for fashion retail which I have over a years experience in gained from working in an Oxford Street store, I also have interned as a fashion assistant at a magazine for over 5 months. I have very high A levels and I am studying for a degree at a Russell Group uni, so when I receive responses from employers such as 'Unfortunately we have decided that you are not a part of this selection.
We mainly looked at experience, education and affinity with fashion.' I don't understand where I am going wrong?

I even got rejected from Primark!

It's commonplace now that highly qualified applicants are still turned away whether it be from universities or jobs. You could try asking for feedback when employers reject you, to see if there is anything you may be missing. However, all you can really do is just keep applying. You'll strike lucky one day.
9/10 they want an individual with minimal prospects who won't have the ability to leave the job after a few months. Try Zara. I work in a store and they actually stress the importance of having an interest in fashion and appreciated the fact that I was an inexperienced student. They even state on their website that part time jobs are available for those who want to work during their studies which range from 9 hours to 30.
Original post by thenewone61
9/10 they want an individual with minimal prospects who won't have the ability to leave the job after a few months. Try Zara. I work in a store and they actually stress the importance of having an interest in fashion and appreciated the fact that I was an inexperienced student. They even state on their website that part time jobs are available for those who want to work during their studies which range from 9 hours to 30.

hey, I've got an interview on tuesday i really want this job, but i already work in sainsburys and they pay 7 38 after 6 months,
but i wanted to move and work for zara, how much do they pay an hour?
Original post by harrietowusu
hey, I've got an interview on tuesday i really want this job, but i already work in sainsburys and they pay 7 38 after 6 months,
but i wanted to move and work for zara, how much do they pay an hour?

I'm a cashier and earn £6.50 an hour + 2% commission which is typically £200-300 a month.
I'm a cashier and earn £6.50 an hour + 2% commission which is typically £200-300 a month.

how many hours dyou do if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by harrietowusu
how many hours dyou do if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind. I usually work 15-20 hours during term time with focus on the weekends. It goes up and down depending on the hours available. Leading up to exams they decrease my hours to around 9 but I have to let them know well in advance.
Reply 7
where do you work, what qualifications do you have? and experience? because i have many qualifications yet still fail to land a job
Reply 8

where do you work, what qualifications do you have? and experience? because i have many qualifications yet still fail to land a job
Original post by 2011maxik

Zara. GCSEs, A levels, 1st in first year lol. I'm in my second year studying biomed at Kings. Initially, I had planned to do pharmacy so I have a good amount of work experience. 4 Pharmacy placements, 1-2 weeks each. Under supervision I was allowed to deal with a large amount of bulk POMs deliveries every morning, checking stock, checking off the receipts, filing etc. I worked at an Oxfam store for 5 months and British Heart Foundation for 3. I know how to use a till, deal with customers etc. I've been fundraising for a local charity in support of Somali refugees for a few years. I just spoke about that in my interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending