How to deal with money in espana Watch

BioIz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ok don't laugh at me, I have never been abroad without a responsible adult D: Can anyone advise me the best way to handle money on a two day holiday in Spain? I basically need to pay for two nights in a hostel and food but I'm worried about carrying a lot of cash around and obviously you have to pay charges to use debit cards abroad... Any advice would be fabby
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Weigh it up - you'll be charged any way you look at it to convert £ to €, so you might as well carry the wad of cash around. Just don't flash it in public!
desdemonata
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Carrying money is fine. Handle it the same way you would in the UK, just don't make sure you look like the clueless tourist carrying it around, especially in a big city, if you're wearing an England footy shirt and ill-fitting shorts you'll be more likely to be targeted by pick-pockets.

Where are you going in Spain?
iJess
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I went to Spain there were an awful lot of pick pockets and beggars as unemployment is an issue in Spain. Carry it on you but have it somewhere you can feel or know its safe, not in your back pockets etc
standreams
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
Weigh it up - you'll be charged any way you look at it to convert £ to €, so you might as well carry the wad of cash around. Just don't flash it in public!
I couldn't disagree more!

Yes, you get charged to change from £ to Euro (or any other currency). And yes, you get charged (varying amounts, depending on which bank you have an account with) to withdraw from ATMS. So either way, you have to pay. Agreed.

What I don't agree with (and this is just my opinion, not saying yours is wrong) is the statement that therefore you "might as well carry cash around." If you get pickpocketed/mugged (unlikely, but it does happen) then you've lost all of it. Debit cards are replaceable (even while abroad). Cash isn't.

I don't even bother getting any Euros before going to Spain now (I go regularly, as I have family there). I rely entirely on using ATMs or paying on debit. They are everywhere, and I always keep another (debit or credit) card safe somewhere as backup in case mine gets lost of stolen.

There are a few countries in the world which are cash-only economies and where it's impossible/very difficult to withdraw money from ATMs or use debit cards. They are often a pain in the neck to travel in due to the need to carry cash around (sometimes huge wads of it) and the constant worry about what happens if it gets lost/stolen/blown away in the wind. For the vast majority of countries I'd always recommend relying mostly on debit cards, perhaps taking a bit of cash along as an emergency. Safer and more convenient.
smudge_moon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Use a cash card like fairFX or Caxton. Little to no charges using it, and you can use it everywhere it just piggybacks off of visa or MasterCard

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (106)
17.76%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.3%
Not great so far... (212)
35.51%
I want to drop out! (116)
19.43%

Watched Threads