Do you consider 'racism' against white people in Britain a legitimate form of racism?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Arielle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Just a thought recently after I have been studying Race and Racism at university...

I am a White British female and growing up in an area outside London where White British is not always the majority, I have experienced many forms of racism. I won't delve into it too much, but lots of abuse against white girls such as 'white girls are all ****s', 'you'll suck me off won't you, you're white' etc and even a girl in the community was sexually assaulted by a group in a racially motivated incident. White boys in my area at school were called 'milkmen' and often beaten up because they were 'pathetic white boys'. One of my friends was also forced to move out of her home in an area where a mosque was built, because their family received abuse because their residence was 'taking up room for *****' (that is a quote from people from the Pakistani community).

I spoke about this with my lecturer who informed me that this was not a form of racism. He said that because this isn't a 'general' case, it's discrimination, not racism. How is this so? I think racism against any race is absolutely disgusting and do understand that the majority of racism in this country is aimed at ethnic minorities, but felt very frustrated that this wasn't being recognized as a form of racism, too and has been dismissed so easily.
Mr Smurf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes it is racism. I'm an ethnic minority and your teacher sounds like a soft bleeding heart liberal lefty who is so afraid of offending people.
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's definitely racism

Posted from TSR Mobile
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. Next question.
Shazzarr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If they're abusing because you're white then yes it is racism. Milkman is an offensive term which refers to the individuals race (being white).

I dont even go to uni and i know that racism goes for ALL races. Your lecturer sounds like a pansy :s
SmallDuck
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Arielle)
Just a thought recently after I have been studying Race and Racism at university...

I am a White British female and growing up in an area outside London where White British is not always the majority, I have experienced many forms of racism. I won't delve into it too much, but lots of abuse against white girls such as 'white girls are all ****s', 'you'll suck me off won't you, you're white' etc and even a girl in the community was sexually assaulted by a group in a racially motivated incident. White boys in my area at school were called 'milkmen' and often beaten up because they were 'pathetic white boys'. One of my friends was also forced to move out of her home in an area where a mosque was built, because their family received abuse because their residence was 'taking up room for *****' (that is a quote from people from the Pakistani community).

I spoke about this with my lecturer who informed me that this was not a form of racism. He said that because this isn't a 'general' case, it's discrimination, not racism. How is this so? I think racism against any race is absolutely disgusting and do understand that the majority of racism in this country is aimed at ethnic minorities, but felt very frustrated that this wasn't being recognized as a form of racism, too and has been dismissed so easily.
Yes, your lecturer is racist and ought be thrown in the slammer.
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I spoke about this with my lecturer who informed me that this was not a form of racism. He said that because this isn't a 'general' case, it's discrimination, not racism. How is this so?
I don't fully understand the distinction he is trying to make, but it doesn't sound like he is saying that these incidents weren't racism because the victims were white, but for some other reason.

My best guess is that he has invented his own definitions of words that have rather more general meanings in everyday speech.
adil-h
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Racism is racism, whether it is aimed at black people, white people, asians, etc.
Anyone who disagree is an idiot.
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, but if enough people believed white people could suffer racism there would be a LOT more racism convictions in the UK.

As a white male who is heterosexual it is 100% impossible to prejudice against me. :nopity:
Ribbit1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes it is racism and I think youre lying about your teacher saying it isnt
Unconventional.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's disgusting, but I don't think racism is really the right word because here in the West white people are the oppressor group as they're the majority and racism is systemically here against people of colour. In a different country/culture it could be different, if instead it was the people of colour who were systemically racist against white people (can't think of a country where that might be the case but I guess for example in Arab countries racism is projected towards those of African descent which is a close example).

Edit: Also, the things you mentioned in your OP are all definitely hate crimes and would be treated as such if reported to police. A hate crime is a crime where someone is targeted because of their difference to the group/people targeting them. The label of 'racism' wouldn't make the charge any more or less serious, it's still a hate crime and indeed racially motivated.
Stanno
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Your lecturer is an effing idiot then - it's racism, clear as day.
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Unconventional.)
It's disgusting, but I don't think racism is really the right word because here in the West white people are the oppressor group as they're the majority and racism is systemically here against people of colour.
So much so in fact that we in totally unforced move decided to allow millions of persons of colours to settle here and vote in our elections.

It is hard to argue that there is any official oppression in the UK and that private, semi-criminal oppression clearly cuts both ways, as the OP points out.
username878045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Observatory)
I don't fully understand the distinction he is trying to make, but it doesn't sound like he is saying that these incidents weren't racism because the victims were white, but for some other reason.

My best guess is that he has invented his own definitions of words that have rather more general meanings in everyday speech.
I think the distinction the lecturer is making is the one Unconventional mentioned - that white people are the dominant race in Britain, so cannot receive 'racism', which is systematic/institutional/societal, only discrimination, which is an individual case thing. Personally, I don't agree with this definition of racism; I think any racially-motivated discrimination or prejudice is racism.
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeh its racism but it happens to many people, i guess its so shocking to you as a white person that you have to make a topic about it but it is something which happens alot of ethnic minorities.
thesabbath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Unconventional.)
It's disgusting, but I don't think racism is really the right word because here in the West white people are the oppressor group as they're the majority and racism is systemically here against people of colour. In a different country/culture it could be different, if instead it was the people of colour who were systemically racist against white people (can't think of a country where that might be the case but I guess for example in Arab countries racism is projected towards those of African descent which is a close example).

Edit: Also, the things you mentioned in your OP are all definitely hate crimes and would be treated as such if reported to police. A hate crime is a crime where someone is targeted because of their difference to the group/people targeting them. The label of 'racism' wouldn't make the charge any more or less serious, it's still a hate crime and indeed racially motivated.
In other words, the accusation "racist" itself is applied only to those of a certain race. The knots the loony left have got everyone into with their extreme racial self-hatred, if their anti-white agenda wasn't still dominating the cultural Zeitgeist it would be hilarious.
niceguy95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thats Racism

Im not generalising but are the ones calling people white ****s, south asian?……….
Unconventional.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Observatory)
So much so in fact that we in totally unforced move decided to allow millions of persons of colours to settle here and vote in our elections.

It is hard to argue that there is any official oppression in the UK and that private, semi-criminal oppression clearly cuts both ways, as the OP points out.
To be fair, the first statement is erroneous because voter turnout amongst people of colour is consistently much lower than that of white people so you have no basis to argue that all these BAME people are voting in people that represent them because unfortunately they just don't, statistics prove that. Also the statement 'decided to allow millions of persons of colours to settle here' is a bit misleading. What about the huge black British population that are here because White people forcibly brought their ancestors here as slaves?

It's definitely not hard to argue there's official oppression in the UK, look at the police force, it's consistently been found to be systematically racist. Studies show if you have a NAME that doesn't look 'white' your CV is many times more likely to just be tossed aside, these studies exist and prove that these things happen. If they didn't we'd live in a society where racism would be a tiny issue and not something where people of colour are affected by it often daily.

I'm not at all overlooking the plight of people who suffer such as those mentioned in OP's statements, I really hope all those were reported to police and dealt with because they're disgusting crimes. However one must understand (as OP stated they did) that these situations are much less common than white perpatrators committing hate crimes against people of colour on racist grounds, and that there is no systematic racism against white people.
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PythianLegume)
I think the distinction the lecturer is making is the one Unconventional mentioned - that white people are the dominant race in Britain, so cannot receive 'racism', which is systematic/institutional/societal, only discrimination, which is an individual case thing. Personally, I don't agree with this definition of racism; I think any racially-motivated discrimination or prejudice is racism.
This definition is clearly vastly divergent from the general meaning of the word; it implies there is no such thing as a racist private act, only a racist official act. And since the British state has, as far as I am aware, never had official discriminatory laws toward resident citizens based on race, there is not and has never been racism in Britain. Fine, if you want to mess around with definitions maybe that follows, but I have some doubts that this man would agree with that analysis. I know you are not defending it, but just to point out it isn't a minor or technical difference.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
After three years in university you'll learn that not all lecturers know what they are talking about, or, live in the 'real world'.

Racism - prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior. What you have described, more or less, fits that definition.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (0)
0%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (0)
0%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (0)
0%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads