Additional amount of higher maintanance loanWatch
By selecting the higher amount of maintenance loan we simply assess you for the maximum amount available to you rather than an amount you had indicated. For students who are eligible for a grant they may find that their loan is reduced as the grant is increased to ensure students have less to pay back.
Students can apply for what is called the 'Special Support Grant' where you can be awarded the same amount of grant, but it does not reduce your loan therefore resulting in a higher rate of funding.
Students do need to meet certain criteria for the special support grant such as:
• are a lone (single) parent;
• have a partner who is also a student and one or both of you are responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education below higher education level;
• have a disability and qualify for the Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium;
• are deaf and qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowances;
• have been treated as incapable of work for at least 28 weeks;
• have a disability and qualify for income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
• The student is entitled to Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.
• are aged 60 or older.