monicca93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, ive applied for my second year finance and there was this question about higher amount of maintanance loan and whether i want it. I answered yes but when i received my declaration recently, higher amount of maintanance loan was nowhere mentioned, just ordinary maintanance loan and grant. Could you tell me how this higher amount is calculated then and in what circumstances it is given. Ive tried to look at gov.uk but there was nothing about it.
Thanks
Monika
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there.

By selecting the higher amount of maintenance loan we simply assess you for the maximum amount available to you rather than an amount you had indicated. For students who are eligible for a grant they may find that their loan is reduced as the grant is increased to ensure students have less to pay back.

Students can apply for what is called the 'Special Support Grant' where you can be awarded the same amount of grant, but it does not reduce your loan therefore resulting in a higher rate of funding.

Students do need to meet certain criteria for the special support grant such as:

• are a lone (single) parent;

• have a partner who is also a student and one or both of you are responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education below higher education level;

• have a disability and qualify for the Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium;

• are deaf and qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowances;

• have been treated as incapable of work for at least 28 weeks;

• have a disability and qualify for income-related Employment and Support Allowance;

• The student is entitled to Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.

• are aged 60 or older.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (340)
55.74%
I don't have everything I need (270)
44.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed