The Student Room Group

How much free time will I have at uni?

I'm hopefully going to Bath in September to do Biology however I have a sports commitment (which can't be done actually at uni) and I'm really worried about having to stop? I don't mind cutting back on going out etc as I get fed up of it anyway although will obviously go out lots during the first few weeks. I'm not planning on joining any other societies or getting a job although I would like to go to the gym in the mornings to keep my fitness up. I really don't want to stop, some people tell me they get loads of free time and some don't? It's making me dread going to uni in case I do have to stop :frown:

It would be about 4-6 hours per week (2 of the hours would be at the weekend) plus travelling time to Bristol, plus gym time

Are weekends quite dead at uni?
It'll depend a lot on your workload, and different courses have different workloads. Although you don't need to go out all the time, it is important not to isolate yourself socially, and make some time for your social life.

I think the fact it's spread out through the week could be a bit of a problem. You'd need to make sure to avoid clashes with lectures, seminars and tutorials, which aren't always on a predictable schedule. The weekend hours should be fine. A lot of people work/volunteer one day a week at the weekend anyway.

I don't think you'll know 100% how easy it will be to fit in until you get your time table, but I would have thought 6 hours a week would be do-able for most of the year.
Reply 2
People at Oxbridge doing Medicine row in the Boat Race. Multiple students, including a Bath Chemical Engineer (who medalled) went to London. This should tell you all you need to know about free time and sport at uni.
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It'll depend a lot on your workload, and different courses have different workloads. Although you don't need to go out all the time, it is important not to isolate yourself socially, and make some time for your social life.

I think the fact it's spread out through the week could be a bit of a problem. You'd need to make sure to avoid clashes with lectures, seminars and tutorials, which aren't always on a predictable schedule. The weekend hours should be fine. A lot of people work/volunteer one day a week at the weekend anyway.

I don't think you'll know 100% how easy it will be to fit in until you get your time table, but I would have thought 6 hours a week would be do-able for most of the year.

It would be in the evenings so hopefully could do at least one out of two of the weekday ones.
Reply 4
Original post by Le Nombre
People at Oxbridge doing Medicine row in the Boat Race. Multiple students, including a Bath Chemical Engineer (who medalled) went to London. This should tell you all you need to know about free time and sport at uni.

That's what I thought, people manage to do sport AT uni in their uni's team so a bit of extra travelling time shouldn't hurt too much? My friends keep telling me I won't be able to do it but I didn't think it would be an issue until now :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by arainyday
That's what I thought, people manage to do sport AT uni in their uni's team so a bit of extra travelling time shouldn't hurt too much? My friends keep telling me I won't be able to do it but I didn't think it would be an issue until now :confused:

I can't see an issue, obviously it's easier if it's on campus but half am hour travelling or whatever shouldn't be an problem. Like I said people compete at a world class level as students, you will have the time.
I do a minimum of 10 hours a week of my sport and am currently on a first in second year. You'll be fine.
Original post by arainyday

I think your friends are exaggerating the situation. Just as a comparison I'm a fairly keen hobby horse-rider, and have spent most Saturdays at the stables throughout uni. I don't have any competitive ambitions, but the time commitment is still there. I also go to the gym or swimming two mornings a week (I could do more, but I enjoy the occassional lie in). In first and second year, I also had a job. I'm currently averaging a good 2.1 and could achieve a first depending on how my dissertation and exams go.

For me, evening commitments would have been harder, as I finished lectures at 6pm once or twice a week this year. However, depending on timetabling they would be possible.

In theory, 6 hours should be doable, it's just you could have a timetable that makes it difficult if you have specific scheduled sessions. If you can chose which evenings to go along, then it would be even easier, but it sounds like this isn't the case.
too much, dont worry yourself
I did more sport than that in first year / first half of second year and it was absolutely fine; my grades were unaffected and I still had a social life. However, I gave it up for reasons that were only partly related to the time commitment - I decided that I wanted to other things with my time at uni as well.

Avoid scheduling anything during the day, as you could have lecturse / seminars then. Weekends aren't dead, but they are what you make of them i.e. you can fill your own time how you like.

You could consider swapping any legs / cardio in the gym for cycling to Bristol - there's a lovely traffic-free cyclepath that's about 13 miles long and flat (so someone reasonably fit should be able to do it in under an hour) and if you don't want to do the journey both ways, it's entirely possible to put your bike on the train, for free) on the return journey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending