The Student Room Group

Someone mark my essay for transport F584

Analyse characteristics of a more sustainable transport policy [15]
A sustainable transport policy is one that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.

One characteristic of a sustainable transport policy is providing subsidies. These are grants provided by the state to transport operators to help reduce operating costs which would be reflected in significantly lower fares. These lower fares would mean that drivers would be more incentivised to switch modes of transport due to the fact the marginal private cost of making the journey would be lower than the normal car journey. In addition to this, the fewer drivers making journeys by cars would mean lower co2 emissions to be emitted in comparison to a train or a bus. On the whole, the pollution as well as negative externalities arising from car travel would be reduced and so meaning the subsidy provided is a characteristic of a more sustainable transport policy. Furthermore, this characteristic is compliant and meets the Eddington report 2006 in that it focuses policy and investment on our existing transport networks.

Another characteristic of a more sustainable transport policy is air passenger duty (APD). This is a per person charge on air travel from UK airports. The level of duty depends on the class of travel and the distance travelled. This would add to the marginal private cost of flying and with a charge that is variable depending on the distance travelled and class this may discourage people from taking these flights and so reduce demand. The lower demand for these flights would mean fewer flights and prevents the inefficient use of scarce resources. On the whole, APD may mean fewer flights which would reduce pollution significantly and is a characteristic of a more sustainable transport policy.

A final characteristic of a more sustainable transport policy is road pricing. These are direct charges levied for the use of roads including road tolls, distance or times based fees, congestion charging and are aimed to discourage the amount of vehicles on the road. The increase in the marginal private cost of motoring reflects the true social cost of the journey undertaken and forces the polluter to pay. For example electronic road pricing (ERP) directly tackles congestion and drivers are charged depending on the time of day and what gantries they pass through. In this instance the motorist may not wish to take the journey due to the greater costs they incur and possibly switch to a more sustainable option such as a bus/train. In addition to this, this characteristic meets the Eddington report’s recommendation of giving priority to reliving congestion and supports Eddingtons view that “We need road pricing to remove much inessential road users”. On the whole, road pricing is a characteristic of a more sustainable transport policy

To conclude, these are three characteristics of a more sustainable transport policy. There are many more but for the purpose of this question I have highlighted what I believe are the most important.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Full marks.
Reply 2
Original post by Top Queen
Full marks.

Really? No i'm sure it aint
I've had a flick through a few mark schemes, and I'm thinking probably around 13/15? You've analysed multiple factors in good detail, your writing is clear and you've made an effort to make it obvious that you've selected the characteristics that you deem to be the most important. It's good that you focus each paragraph back onto the question at the end of each one. You could possibly chuck in some kind of graph to outline the costs or to demonstrate how a subsidy works, just so you don't have to write quite so much? My teacher showed us that it was possible to get full marks without a diagram, it just means you have to write a bit more. I'm not great at transport so I might be wrong about what I've said, but it seems okay to me. Good essay, nice one!
Reply 4
Original post by bad_moose
I've had a flick through a few mark schemes, and I'm thinking probably around 13/15? You've analysed multiple factors in good detail, your writing is clear and you've made an effort to make it obvious that you've selected the characteristics that you deem to be the most important. It's good that you focus each paragraph back onto the question at the end of each one. You could possibly chuck in some kind of graph to outline the costs or to demonstrate how a subsidy works, just so you don't have to write quite so much? My teacher showed us that it was possible to get full marks without a diagram, it just means you have to write a bit more. I'm not great at transport so I might be wrong about what I've said, but it seems okay to me. Good essay, nice one!

Thanks
Reply 5
I got 11/15 for this essay

Quick Reply

Latest