Turn on thread page Beta

Discussion thread for Nigel vs. Nick 1st debate- 7pm today watch

• View Poll Results: Who won the 1st debate
    Farage
    66.67%
    Clegg
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    A thread to discuss the first EU debate between Clegg and Farage. The first debate is being held by LBC radio and starts at 7pm with coverage from 6pm. Debate available on LBC radio, LBC app, LBC website and is being covered live on Sky News, Huff post and BBC news and their websites.

Live updates here- http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...or-europe-live

Watch here-
    1- http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_5029366.html
    2- http://www.lbc.co.uk/watch-lbc-leade...th-march-87667

ReputationRep:
    It's about to start

ReputationRep:
    Nick Clegg can be as on the ball and accurate as is humanly possible - but Farage will bluff his way through with rhetoric and half truths.

Just a moment ago he used Migration Watch as a source - says it all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going much for Clegg or Farage so far, tbh. They both sound OK-ish but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Personally feel Farage is raping Clegg atm

ReputationRep:
    Both are abysmal at best.

ReputationRep:
    I keep seeing comments like "Farage is doing one on Clegg" etc.

I can't see this. It is basically just:

Clegg: "We would sacrifice 3 million jobs"
    Farage: "More jobs would be created because of fewer regulations"
    Clegg: "No, we would lose 3 million."
    Farage: "No, we would be ok."

Chair: "Very good. Next question."

And repeat.

I didn't necessarily expect any different, but it doesn't seem to be Farage doing much better than Clegg or vise versa. Though Clegg seems to get more rounds of applause.

Farage is looking very shiny also.

ReputationRep:
    Clegg isn't the confident man he once was and it shows.

ReputationRep:
    Farage is destroying him.

Clegg is just coming out with standard political rhetoric.

'Just the other day....'
    'Only last week.....'
    'I recently spoke with.....'

Basically, all that Clegg is saying is 'it's easier to pay to be an EU member with our taxes for economic reasons than renegotiate deals/treaties', i.e. they're just lazy. Its okay though Clegg, just keep using our taxes whilst you sit at Westminster with your boyfriend.

Clegg has no grasp of business or commerce at all. Its quite embarrassing for our country that this guy is in fact our Deputy PM.

ReputationRep:
    Surprised Clegg is actually holding his own.

ReputationRep:
    Farage is doing wonderfully!

The whole house of mirrors is shattering!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I so badly wanted Clegg to get demolished but Farage just sounded like a reactionary, conspiracy theorist moron.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where the perception is that Farage is winning, it seems pretty close to me.

Immigration got Farage a bit hot under the collar but Clegg rebuffed relatively well though i'd give that to Farage.

Trade is where i'm at now (36 minutes) and if anything Clegg is the one putting Farage on the back foot, if anything Farage is making arguments that underline the importance of the EU-UK relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    Farage is doing wonderfully!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wonderfully?

He just got massively caught out on the 70% of laws thing. His own party's website removed it after various House of Common's reports and after an independant fact checker found that UKIP's figures came from out of context qoutes.

I think that this debate has gone some way to show that UKIP's claims cannot be entirely trusted - which is good.

ReputationRep:
    I think the woman just on Sky is correct. Nobody will have changed their my mind after the debate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too keen on the Liberal Democrats, however Nick did come off as the wiser of the two (to me, at least). He seemed to provide good counter-arguements to the ones made by Nigel, and I like how he stressed the importance of fact checking.

ReputationRep:
    I think Farage's attitude to gay marriage is a big red flashing light. You can agree with a policy but agree with a principal but when I hear Farage talk of this issue it sounds suspiciously like he his hiding his disagreement with the principal behind the ECHR.

ReputationRep:
    Farage was trying too hard to be funny and looked much more flustered.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Clegg won. As I said earlier, he was struggling a little at the start but he grew into it and ended much stronger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I think the woman just on Sky is correct. Nobody will have changed their my mind after the debate.
    For any Lib Dem and Ukip voter, no. The prize here is any pro/anti-EU voters in Labour and the Tories.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.