The Student Room Group

Kings or UEA?

Hi there:smile:

I'm very grateful to hold offers for medicine but I need some help...

UEA medicine 5 year course or Kings( KCL) foundation medicine 6 year course

I'm leaning towards UEA medical school but which one do I pick ?

The only positive thing I can think of Kings is the course structure-traditional (not pbl) and the hospitals are the best in the country,...

I don't like the look of PBL at UEA but I'm hoping I can adjust! Also I like UEA campus, student satisfaction is much higher, (parents keep saying kings is better coz of prestige and is in london :s-smilie:) and also I prefer a smaller year group than a large one, >300 at kings :s-smilie: and UEA have patient contact in first year.

i want to choose UEA but everyone (family, friends) are telling me to choose kings.

Don't want to make the wrong choice...
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why is it 6 years at Kings? How have you been offered 5 year at UEA but foundation at kings?
Reply 2
Original post by KA125
Why is it 6 years at Kings? How have you been offered 5 year at UEA but foundation at kings?

Because I applied for the foundation medicine which is 6 years at kings.

I didn't apply for the 5 year.
Reply 3
Any particular reason? IMO yes kings does have more prestige however, I know a few people who don't like it as much as they thought they would.

Yes it uses some great hospitals but I would be more concerned where I was doing my f1! Doing f1 at tommys and kings would be even better than learning there.

Uea is a lovely campus and a year shorter. Up to you though if you hate pbl!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by KA125
Any particular reason? IMO yes kings does have more prestige however, I know a few people who don't like it as much as they thought they would.

Yes it uses some great hospitals but I would be more concerned where I was doing my f1! Doing f1 at tommys and kings would be even better than learning there.

Uea is a lovely campus and a year shorter. Up to you though if you hate pbl!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't hate pbl, I'm just not too keen on it but by clinicals, pbl will be very useful...
Thanks for your contribution
Reply 5
In that case I would go for uea, purely to be done sooner. If you're happy to do the extra year then go for kings! Yes it probably is more prestigious but how good a doctor you become is down to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by KA125
In that case I would go for uea, purely to be done sooner. If you're happy to do the extra year then go for kings! Yes it probably is more prestigious but how good a doctor you become is down to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I don't feel like doing the extra year plus I'm already on a gap year.

UEA :colone:
Dr Watson in Sherlock went to KCL to study medicine if that makes it any cooler :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

Haha what's the face for? Sounds bias....if you could please explain why UEA, I'd be happy to hear! :smile:
Original post by Incredimazing
Dr Watson in Sherlock went to KCL to study medicine if that makes it any cooler :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know who that is so it doesn't help :tongue:
Original post by OnionRing
Haha what's the face for? Sounds bias....if you could please explain why UEA, I'd be happy to hear! :smile:

Mainly for the reasons you've said. Early (and decent/proper) patient contact, lovely area, friendly hospitals. I like the course structure and the fact that we don't spend the first two years just doing science.

But at the end of the day, it's your decision. You've got to decide what you want in your ideal medicine course and work out which uni fits better. Prestige is irrelevant when it comes to medicine - a doctor is a doctor, no matter where they did their degree :smile:
Reply 11
Mainly for the reasons you've said. Early (and decent/proper) patient contact, lovely area, friendly hospitals. I like the course structure and the fact that we don't spend the first two years just doing science.

But at the end of the day, it's your decision. You've got to decide what you want in your ideal medicine course and work out which uni fits better. Prestige is irrelevant when it comes to medicine - a doctor is a doctor, no matter where they did their degree :smile:

Thank you very much! I didn't go to the offer day so I couldn't ask questions :frown:

If you don't mind?

1) I have no experience of PBL....is it easy to adapt to it ? Do I really have to depend on team mates for knowledge?

2) how many people drop out/fail exams? Are they really hard?

3) best accommodation for medical students ?

4) there are loads of med societies like GP soc, cardiology soc? Are they any good and is it worthwhile joining every med related soc?

5) As a mecic, how many free time do we have as first year? Can we join loads of clubs and socs?

Sorry for the questions, hopefully you can answer it:biggrin:
Thank you very much! I didn't go to the offer day so I couldn't ask questions :frown:

If you don't mind?

1) I have no experience of PBL....is it easy to adapt to it ? Do I really have to depend on team mates for knowledge?

2) how many people drop out/fail exams? Are they really hard?

3) best accommodation for medical students ?

4) there are loads of med societies like GP soc, cardiology soc? Are they any good and is it worthwhile joining every med related soc?

5) As a mecic, how many free time do we have as first year? Can we join loads of clubs and socs?

Sorry for the questions, hopefully you can answer it:biggrin:

1) Yeah I adapted to it pretty quickly and don't think it's as hard as people who have no experience of PBL make it out to be. UEA also has supplementary lectures/seminars every week that cover most of the learning outcomes and give you an idea of depth needed, so you're not totally left to your own devices. No you're not reliant on other people at all. It's your responsibility to ensure that you cover all the topics you need to - you don't need anybody else to be able to do that - there's nothing stopping you from picking up a textbook and doing your own reading :p:

2) I don't really know - we started off in year one as about 170, we're now at 150 although we about 10 or so people from the year above that have resat one of the years at some point, so we maybe lost about 30? But then a lot of them are now in the year below. Most people pass without any problems, and you get a chance to resit the exam, and then UEA are fairly lenient when it comes to letting people resit the year if need be, but like I said, most sail through with no problems.

3) Whatever accommodation you can afford. You're guaranteed to be placed in halls with at least one other medic, and there is no "best accommodation" for medics, so just go with what you like and what's in your price range

4) Yep loads. I haven't joined any of them, some people joined all of them. I'd recommend you only join the ones you're interested in and would go to events they put on, otherwise there's not much point, but it's up to you

5) A fair amount of free time - nothing stopping you from joining uni socs and clubs, but it might be harder to commit to them in later years (although the same can be said for any med school in this regard!)
KCL has more prestige, but I'm pretty sure in this country a medical degree is a medical degree...so why waste an extra year?
Reply 14
1) Yeah I adapted to it pretty quickly and don't think it's as hard as people who have no experience of PBL make it out to be. UEA also has supplementary lectures/seminars every week that cover most of the learning outcomes and give you an idea of depth needed, so you're not totally left to your own devices. No you're not reliant on other people at all. It's your responsibility to ensure that you cover all the topics you need to - you don't need anybody else to be able to do that - there's nothing stopping you from picking up a textbook and doing your own reading :p:

2) I don't really know - we started off in year one as about 170, we're now at 150 although we about 10 or so people from the year above that have resat one of the years at some point, so we maybe lost about 30? But then a lot of them are now in the year below. Most people pass without any problems, and you get a chance to resit the exam, and then UEA are fairly lenient when it comes to letting people resit the year if need be, but like I said, most sail through with no problems.

3) Whatever accommodation you can afford. You're guaranteed to be placed in halls with at least one other medic, and there is no "best accommodation" for medics, so just go with what you like and what's in your price range

4) Yep loads. I haven't joined any of them, some people joined all of them. I'd recommend you only join the ones you're interested in and would go to events they put on, otherwise there's not much point, but it's up to you

5) A fair amount of free time - nothing stopping you from joining uni socs and clubs, but it might be harder to commit to them in later years (although the same can be said for any med school in this regard!)

You've just made me choose UEA even more! Thank you very much baby boo:smile:

Original post by TheGuy117
KCL has more prestige, but I'm pretty sure in this country a medical degree is a medical degree...so why waste an extra year?

Exactly, cheers:smile:
Reply 15

One more thing! :biggrin:

Deciles? How hard is it to get to the top decile? I'm thinking way ahead because of foundation posts.
One more thing! :biggrin:

Deciles? How hard is it to get to the top decile? I'm thinking way ahead because of foundation posts.

That's an impossible question to answer, as it depends on your own personal aptitude and the performance of the rest of your cohort. If you are solidly in the 10th decile then it's going to be nigh on impossible to get top decile, conversely, if medicine comes naturally to you then you may be in top decile with minimal effort. Or you might be around 3rd decile, but with lots of hard work can just squeeze in. It's no easier/harder than getting into top decile at any other med school.
Reply 17
Original post by Incredimazing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. He went to Barts.

OP, pick UEA if it's what you want. Prestige is a load of rubbish where med schools are concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could be all biased here and suggest going to KCL - but seriously, go wherever it is you want to go. Do you want to be in London? If so, go to King's, if not, UEA. As has been said, prestige means completely nothing, and if I'm honest my best hospital experiences have usually been from the smaller, less 'prestigious' places. Saying this, I've had a great time at KCL and would of course recommend it, but it really is down to you and where you want to be. You'll be there for the next 5-6 years so don't base these decisions on arbitrary things such as names and prestige.
Reply 19
Prestigious hospitals mean absolutely naff all as a student, I wouldn't base anything on that. We have some of the country (/world) leading centres up here and the teaching isn't notably amazing because of it, and nobody really cares. I'd argue that teaching is probably worse in these kinds of centres because everybody there is so busy being all amazing they don't have time for lowly students. My best teaching has been at a "just" DGH. World leading centres are world leading for patient care, for research etc. not for teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending