The Student Room Group

Pre-FY1 Shadowing

Hey all.
So our medical school have mentioned a number of times about a 2 week period before Fy1 begins where you essentially shadow the poor bugger you're taking over from. From any experience, does anyone know when this usually is, if indeed it exists?
Thanks guys.
Josh
Reply 1
Original post by jsidles
Hey all.
So our medical school have mentioned a number of times about a 2 week period before Fy1 begins where you essentially shadow the poor bugger you're taking over from. From any experience, does anyone know when this usually is, if indeed it exists?
Thanks guys.
Josh

My understanding is that the GMC insist on 4 days immediately before you start which must be paid.

Some deaneries insist on more, the north west apparently insist on two weeks of which only the last four days are paid.
Original post by 345rty
My understanding is that the GMC insist on 4 days immediately before you start which must be paid.

Some deaneries insist on more, the north west apparently insist on two weeks of which only the last four days are paid.

How are they pulling that off? Surely they can't insist on something they're not paying for?
I heard that it starts on the 29th of July
Reply 4
Original post by Becca-Sarah
How are they pulling that off? Surely they can't insist on something they're not paying for?

No idea, I asked one of the F1s there who reckoned you could have not turned up, but it would have looked horrendous and all the admin and systems stuff was covered in the free time so you would have missed all the whatnot required to actually start work.

As much as I don't like the idea of doing work time for free, I also profoundly dislike the idea of starting work without any introduction to a new trust etc… At least post F1 when everyone rotates at the same time there is no opportunity to repeat the fiasco.
Reply 5
North-West deanary do 2 weeks immediately prior to starting first jobs, have no idea about the pay though.
Reply 6
Don't think it's a particularly new idea... In 2009 I did shadowing as part of my final year (limited helpfulness as most of my team were on leave but partially shadowed the FY1 on nighshifts) then there was a Trust induction with some shadowing immediately before starting.

I can't remember how long it was - a few days of induction & about 4 of shadowing sounds about right... we were given full pay for the shadowing, although not for the induction but accommodation + free lunch :eek: was provided. I suspect these sorts of things will all be determined locally though. Our induction was pretty comprehensive and far more than your usual rotating doctor changeover day induction*** but covered clinical things too with reference to local policies & all the systems used/tours etc.

You could try and find out in advance once you're allocated or just avoid making plans for the fortnight before in case. We got a letter with details fairly promptly. Although you could play hardball about unpaid activities I did find them pretty essential & there wasn't much wasted time at ours - if you've worked in that specific hospital before it may seem more tedious.

Remember on the grand changeover day the 'team' may consist of you - as your SHO/Reg are in induction all day after having moved across deanery/country the day before (& may not have a clue how anything works) & chances of your Consultant being on summer holiday to avoid the chaos may be higher than you might think - so handy to try to hit the ground running! :tongue:

***Which is usually just the mandatory things e.g. HR/OccHealth/logins/ID badge, fire safety, BLS/infection control + a pep talk from some VIP. It may start at sociable hours like 7.30am :rolleyes: to facilitate people who haven't done things in advance that they were asked to - that everyone else used up their zero days/annual leave in advance on. It then may culminate in being told that you're unexpectedly on a long-day/nightshift etc...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I remember the fear when I realised we (me and my fellow f1) were running cdu as everyone else was in induction. We accepted everyone, and when a consultant walked past the ward I grabbed her and didn't let her leave!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending