The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Beautiful uni,people and the ethnicities

Hi guys,
I've applied to Surrey uni and I really loved the uni on open day.
I just wanted a bit of background information on the uni itself before I make any choices.
I just wanted to know what the uni atmosphere is like in general, are people friendly?
Does Surrey uni have a large east asian community and also are there societies? (I'm not being racist, I'm asian myself).
Also....WHAT IS THIS ABOUT NO WIFI AT SURREY?!?

Thanks for any comments!
Reply 1
Original post by aSunnyDay
Hi guys,
I've applied to Surrey uni and I really loved the uni on open day.
I just wanted a bit of background information on the uni itself before I make any choices.
I just wanted to know what the uni atmosphere is like in general, are people friendly?
Does Surrey uni have a large east asian community and also are there societies? (I'm not being racist, I'm asian myself).
Also....WHAT IS THIS ABOUT NO WIFI AT SURREY?!?

Thanks for any comments!

The university is generally very friendly, so there's no problems there, but uni is always what you make of it. The more you get involved with stuff, the more you'll find there is to do. But to be honest, whatever it is you want to spend your time doing, you'll be able to find some way to do that.

There's a LOT of Asians at Surrey, so you'll have no problem finding societies and events run with the Asian community in mind. From what I've seen, a lot of the Asian students are Chinese, but I've never really looked into the actual numbers as such, so I don't know what the actual proportions are.

Until a few years ago there wasn't Wi-Fi provided in the halls of residence, but that's changed now. It costs £10 when you move in to buy a router, but that's yours to keep from then on, so is well worth it, and you have the dedicated network for yourself. In all the main teaching buildings on campus, there's central Wi-Fi which students can log into and use.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
That's just the sort of reply I was hoping for! Thank you!
I take it that you go to Surrey uni aswell?
The accomodation prices are so expensive :frown: I was going to go for an en suite..but I may have to go for shared bathroom accomodation now...
Reply 3
Also, when you mention asians-do you mean majority are international or from here? Or mixed, sorry I'm just curious :smile:
Reply 4
That's just the sort of reply I was hoping for! Thank you!
I take it that you go to Surrey uni aswell?
The accomodation prices are so expensive :frown: I was going to go for an en suite..but I may have to go for shared bathroom accomodation now...

Yep I'm studying here.

That's a problem with being in Surrey, it's an expensive place sadly. The university do what they can to keep prices down, but it's just an expensive area.

Also, when you mention asians-do you mean majority are international or from here? Or mixed, sorry I'm just curious :smile:

The majority are English, which is to be expected. But there's a large number of international students, and I'd guess that a majority of the international students are Asian. Asian and Greek students make up a very large proportion of the international students here.
Reply 5
What type of accomodation are you living in at the moment? Would you recommend a shared bathroom because apparently those dorms have the best atmosphere :P
What are you studying?
Reply 6
What type of accomodation are you living in at the moment? Would you recommend a shared bathroom because apparently those dorms have the best atmosphere :P
What are you studying?

I'm in band D at the moment, but I've been in band C before, and actually applied for it again this year.

It's up to you really, personally I'm not bothered about sharing a bathroom. It's only a ten second walk down the corridor, and they're clean and tidy 99% of the time, so I'd rather save the extra £20 or £30 a week and take the shared bathroom.

The atmosphere isn't something you can really assume based on the band sadly. Some of the band C rooms have the most people to a floor, so generally are the more social, but it all depends who's in the rooms. Some of the band C rooms have 7 to a floor, others have 14, so it's just random which one you end up in. Even then, you may end up with 7 very social people in the small flat, and 14 very antisocial people in the larger flat, it's all a bit random.

However, it's not important, as if you want a more active social life, you'll not be short of friends with things to do, places to go. The more you want to get involved in, the more you'll be able to find and do.

I'm studying chemistry, but as a PhD student now. I did my undergraduate degree here, and got offered a scholarship to stay on, so happily accepted it :smile:.
Reply 7
Yeah, the shared bathroom thing makes sense.I worked out that I roughly save about £1000 if I was to opt for shared bathroom instead of ensuite. Hmm food for thought lol...

I am planning to join some of the clubs/scoieties..I think that's an aspect of uni which I'm looking forward to quite a bit.
Woaaah Chemistry..I'm doing it at A2 atm, and not going to lie...but all of this stuff is killing me slowly D:.I quite enjoyed Chemistry at GCSE, but then at A Level=intense

What would you say are the top aspects of Surrey uni and the worst aspects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending