The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Entry grade lee-way

Hi guys,
I am planning to insure Manchester and I would like to know the stance on Manchester's attitude towards grade requirements. My offer is AAB for economics and finance, but I would like to know if dropping a grade down to ABB would still most likely guarantee a spot for me.
I know it is hard to say as it depends on the amount of people that achieve their grade, but just a general idea would help.
I have heard that Manchester is known for dropping their grades from AAB to ABC for some courses where they haven't met their required number of students.
IF YOU DID GET INTO MANCHESTER, HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED THIS SITUATION?
sorry for caps lock, I just wanted to make it easier for people to see my main point lol.

Thank youuuuu
Original post by aSunnyDay
Hi guys,
I am planning to insure Manchester and I would like to know the stance on Manchester's attitude towards grade requirements. My offer is AAB for economics and finance, but I would like to know if dropping a grade down to ABB would still most likely guarantee a spot for me.
I know it is hard to say as it depends on the amount of people that achieve their grade, but just a general idea would help.
I have heard that Manchester is known for dropping their grades from AAB to ABC for some courses where they haven't met their required number of students.
IF YOU DID GET INTO MANCHESTER, HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED THIS SITUATION?
sorry for caps lock, I just wanted to make it easier for people to see my main point lol.

Thank youuuuu

We don't know if they'd take you or not, and at this stage in the year, neither do they. It depends on a number of things, which change year-by-year and course-by-course
- if they have already filled all the places with people who did meet their offer, or if they still have a few spaces left
- if they think they can fill up their remaining spaces with better quality candidates by going through clearing or by accepting people who just missed their offer
- whether the grades that you actually got were ABB / equivalent or above (universities can be fined for over-recruiting people with BBB or below; this is not the case for people with ABB+). For this reason, I would take stories about Manchester dropping requirements to ABC with a very large pinch of salt.
- how narrowly you missed your offer
- if there was anyone else who missed their offer by a narrower margin
- whether you are an international student (if you are, then you are more attractive because you pay higher fees, and the government can't fine the university for over-recruiting internationals)

I've seen people get lucky. I've also seen people miss their offers by very narrow margins (e.g. I missed my offer in 2010 by 2 UMS and ended up having a gap year after a remark; someone else last year missed their A*A*A offer and got A*AA instead) and then get rejected.

Ultimately, no one knows what 2014 will be like, and the only way to guarantee a place is to meet your offer.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Thank you for clearing it up for me!
Btw, the peopel who narrowly missed and were rejected..were they applying to Manchester also? :smile:
Original post by aSunnyDay
Thank you for clearing it up for me!
Btw, the peopel who narrowly missed and were rejected..were they applying to Manchester also? :smile:

:sadnod:

But as I say, it changes from year to year and course to course, so it doesn't mean much for you personally.
Reply 4
Oh dear... Economics and Finance is quite a popular subject aswell...
Just out of curiosity, what are you studying atm and what year are you in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending