The Student Room Group

Should I apply for medicine ?

I'm studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and FM for A-levels. It is that ok if i want to apply for medicine ?
I talked to one of the professor of medicine at Cambridge yesterday and he thinks that it's fine and lots of his students didn't study biology at A-levels but still get to Cambridge to study medicine
However, when i look up entry requirements of other universities, they all require biology :frown:
What should I do ????? :frown:
Reply 1
I did those a levels, and I now have an offer for medicine at Manchester.i had two other interviews, but it just to go to show that you can do medicine with fm and without bio
Reply 2
Original post by Nathalie Thái
I'm studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and FM for A-levels. It is that ok if i want to apply for medicine ?
I talked to one of the professor of medicine at Cambridge yesterday and he thinks that it's fine and lots of his students didn't study biology at A-levels but still get to Cambridge to study medicine
However, when i look up entry requirements of other universities, they all require biology :frown:

Some unis are much pickier than others. I wouldn't have thought the bio or lack would be a major problem at a good fee unis but watch out for fm as many unis won't accept it even as a 4th so check before applying to any which ask for an as grade :smile:
Just wondering why you want to do medicine if you don't like biology? Or that's the assumption id make from your a levels and probably the only reason some unis want you to have bio

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look at entry requirements for the Unis you fancy applying to and if in doubt send an email to their admissions team.

There is a greater importance on A Level Chemistry and since you have that you should be ok in most cases. Interesting that you didn't choose Biology though.
Original post by em.d_4
Some unis are much pickier than others. I wouldn't have thought the bio or lack would be a major problem at a good fee unis but watch out for fm as many unis won't accept it even as a 4th so check before applying to any which ask for an as grade :smile:
Just wondering why you want to do medicine if you don't like biology? Or that's the assumption id make from your a levels and probably the only reason some unis want you to have bio

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not that I don't like biology. It's just because when I chose my A-levels subjects, I didn't think of applying for medicine and for me, physics is easier. But now, I realise that I really want to study medicine. Sincerely hope that lack fo biology wouldn't be a disadvantage for me while applying for medicine :smile:
Original post by Lamptastic
Look at entry requirements for the Unis you fancy applying to and if in doubt send an email to their admissions team.

There is a greater importance on A Level Chemistry and since you have that you should be ok in most cases. Interesting that you didn't choose Biology though.

Thank you for your advice :smile:
friend of mine got into med at st georges without biology
Original post by PARTy
I did those a levels, and I now have an offer for medicine at Manchester.i had two other interviews, but it just to go to show that you can do medicine with fm and without bio

Really ? So, when you went to interviews, do you think that you need lot of knowledge about biology to be able to answer all the questions in the interview ? Should I read more books to gain knowledge about biology ?
Really ? So, when you went to interviews, do you think that you need lot of knowledge about biology to be able to answer all the questions in the interview ? Should I read more books to gain knowledge about biology ?

The interviews are designed to test your 'soft' skills, empathy and motivation to study medicine. Unless you plan on applying to study to a BMAT university, you do not really to study Biology.

You must be selective in your medical school choices, but there should be more who accept your combination than those who dont
Reply 10

Original post by Hydromancer
The interviews are designed to test your 'soft' skills, empathy and motivation to study medicine. Unless you plan on applying to study to a BMAT university, you do not really to study Biology.

Hydromancer is right. Even at my cambridge interview ( which is probably the only place they will ask about science) , they knew I didn't have biology and thus asked me chemistry qs/physics qs and some gcse biology questions.as Hydromancer said, unless you want to apply to bmat uni, which for you will be Oxbridge/leeds then you need not do any bio revision,however if you do want to go there, then you will need to revise bio gcse for the bmat, and an interview , if you get there.
Reply 11
Original post by Mike_123
You must be selective in your medical school choices, but there should be more who accept your combination than those who dont

There are about 8 I think, so the majority require biology to as.not a lot of choice, but still enough
Original post by PARTy
Hydromancer is right. Even at my cambridge interview ( which is probably the only place they will ask about science) , they knew I didn't have biology and thus asked me chemistry qs/physics qs and some gcse biology questions.as Hydromancer said, unless you want to apply to bmat uni, which for you will be Oxbridge/leeds then you need not do any bio revision,however if you do want to go there, then you will need to revise bio gcse for the bmat, and an interview , if you get there.

thank you so much for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest