Does anyone else still need their parents to support them financially?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So im 18 and nearly 19, I've been in college for three years now since high school and im going to Uni in September hopefully.

Im just feeling a bit **** at the moment, I feel pathetic because I have no source of income other than my parents and the £10 bursary I get from college per week which I often dont get anyway. Most people would say get a job, its understandable, but im an athlete and I need to train three times a week and im at college four days a week, and it is A-levels so I need to do coursework constantly. Im always up to my eyeballs with commitments, college then coursework, then training then something else, and the cycle repeats. My life is so scheduled I barely get an hour or two a day to relax. Atleast once or twice a week I pull all-nighters to get work done.

I see people younger than me, with girlfriends, with cars, going out and buying nice things and im here still struggling. Asking my mum and dad for money to go out with my mates one in a blue moon, for lunch, for other random necessities. My mate I've not seen for months, who has borrowed me roughly £80 since I have known him, bought me Xmas presents etc, has asked me to come out with him on the weekend, I have no money at all and will need to ask my parents again. I just feel so pathetic, when I go to Uni I will get a job but for now I cant do much, are there any others?
MocchiatoBreak
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My parents used to cover most of my financial need until I got a job, but since I'm going to university later this year I will end up needing their financial help. I would say don't feel bad since its not easy being financially independent for anyone and most students will depend on their parents as student finance won't be enough to cover all cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
dreadpiraterach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm the same age as you, at uni and although I have a part time job now I wouldn't be able to manage at uni without my parents' help. My student loan doesn't even cover the cost of my accommodation so it's my parents that make up the extra. Don't feel guilty about it because there will be so many people in full time education who need their parents to help out with money.
Jacklyn93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im 20, starting uni in september but have not been able to find a job anywhere/or they just dont hire me so i have been financially dependant on my parents for 20 years, nearly 21 and I cant see it ending soon :/

Dont feel so bad cause ull be surprised at how many people are in the same boat as you!!
kat19892012
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jacklyn93)
Im 20, starting uni in september but have not been able to find a job anywhere/or they just dont hire me so i have been financially dependant on my parents for 20 years, nearly 21 and I cant see it ending soon :/

Dont feel so bad cause ull be surprised at how many people are in the same boat as you!!
Have you considered joining a temp agency?,its normally easier to get temp work than permanent, plus work is flexible, so can fit around uni/college.
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey don't feel bad! I'm 25 and STILL relying on my mum for a lot of my financial support. I've done two degrees and for the last 2 years I've been doing full time practice placements as part of my course so there's no way I could have got a proper job during term time . I work during the summer months but this is only ever enough to cover one rent payment. It sucks but I'm just so thankful she is in a position where she can help me, as without the support I wouldn't have been able to do this degree. I am going to pay her back once I start earning proper money.
Jacklyn93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kat19892012)
Have you considered joining a temp agency?,its normally easier to get temp work than permanent, plus work is flexible, so can fit around uni/college.
Well once I go to uni in Derry it will be hopefully easier to find part time work through people I know but for now I live in Dublin. I've looked up some agencies but all I've seen so far are the ones they want u to have a car:/
Conzy210
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't agree with the people saying don't feel bad, because you should, you're at the age now where you could support yourself to an extent and the fact you can't is something you should feel guilty about. However at the same time, I think my the sheer fact you feel bad means you shouldn't be too harsh on yourself, you understand that what your parents do for you is above and beyond what is expected and that's a commendable realisation, too many people on this forum and whom I know in real life feel that their parents owe them a right to pay their way through life, when in fact once you're over 16 I don't believe that's the case.

Essentially what I'm saying is feel bad but because you feel bad don't feel bad, get me?

I'd advise to try and get a small part-time job, whatever you could fit into your routine, whether this is now or at university. If you do what you can do to support yourself I'm sure you'll feel a million miles better and even if it's only £60 a week your parents will appreciate that and appreciate that you couldn't work anymore.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I'm still living at home so yes.
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I still depend on my mum and grandparents sometimes. Me and my bf have our own money but sometimes the bills can be a bit much or we need money for things like cat food and I have to go to them for a lend of £20 or something. I offer to pay them it back but they never take it. The most they have gave (outside of gifts/bday/xmas etc) to help me out was £100 a few months ago to cover a council tax bill. We paid them it back a few weeks later and my papa only took £30 and gave me £70 back. He said he just wanted to see if I would keep my side of the bargain by paying them back in the first place.
phunky_fresh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need a job regardless of your other commitments. 2 days a week won't kill you. You are an adult, it's time to start taking care of your own.
Ranagazoo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in a similar position to you although I have worked full time for 5 years previously to going back to retrain at college. I am 23. I'm sure your parents understand and part of the reason they have jobs etc is to provide for their kids. That's what my parents say to me. I helped them out when I was working when times were hard and I'm sure one day you will do the same for your parents. Talk to them about how you feel it helps trust me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads