The Student Room Group

Should all wealth and possessions be claimed by the state when you die?

I think this would be the best way to combat the costs of the population living longer. Anyone found to be abusing loop holes e.g. passing wealth on before they die should have the wealth they try to pass on confiscated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All it will lead to is people blowing all their cash before they die
Wow... what a brilliant idea. :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
All it will lead to is people blowing all their cash before they die

It isn't being blown though it is being invested into goods and services which creates jobs and more wealth. So if anything this would increase investment in the world's economy tenfold rather than let it stagnate.
Reply 4
Original post by crayz
It isn't being blown though it is being invested into goods and services which creates jobs and more wealth. So if anything this would increase investment in the world's economy tenfold rather than let it stagnate.

I can pretty much promise you that people blowing all their life savings won't be spending it down the local high street. It will be foreign holidays and sports cars. Not good for our own economy.
Reply 5
No. If I work hard all my life to earn my money I want to choose who it goes to myself. I will have earned that choice.
Reply 6
No it's the person's to pass onto whoever they included in their will
Reply 7
Better still lets send all the rich people to man the till at tesco mao style
Reply 8
Original post by Reue
I can pretty much promise you that people blowing all their life savings won't be spending it down the local high street. It will be foreign holidays and sports cars. Not good for our own economy.

Then set up foreign holiday and sports car taxes.

Original post by EllieC130
No. If I work hard all my life to earn my money I want to choose who it goes to myself. I will have earned that choice.

Original post by Ripper-Roo
No it's the person's to pass onto whoever they included in their will

Not if you are told by the government you haven't earned it.
Reply 9
Original post by crayz
Then set up foreign holiday and sports car taxes

It's called income tax. That money has already been taxed.
Reply 10
Original post by Reue
It's called income tax. That money has already been taxed.

Yeah but at a lower rate than it could have been because costs are going up and holes need to be filled. If you have the option of affecting hard working families with more taxes or affecting nobody because all you are doing is taxing a dead person the solution is obvious.
Original post by crayz

Well they shouldn't run my life. What's free will for other than to make our own choices? Following laws is one thing, but getting to decide if what you've earned should go to the people you love is another. It's about making sure they can live a bit more comfortably thanks to me.
No, people should be able to pass on their self-improvement work to their offspring. Giving it to the state (or I should say, having it taken by the state) would be equivalent to flushing it down the toilet, for all the good it would do.
No way, absolutely not. It's a person's right to leave their stuff to their loved ones if they so wish. If a law was passed saying that wealth and possessions should be claimed by the state when you die, I'd move abroad.
Reply 14
Inheritance tax is an affront to human decency. Curse the evil person who came up with the idea that the State should mug the family of a recently deceased person. Disgusting.
(edited 10 years ago)
so the government takes everything you ever owned away when you die?! are you ****ing kidding me?! so if I died and wanted to give what I legitimately worked my whole life for to my children, the government would steal it from me and give it to somebody else? we already get almost taxed to death already! why should anybody have to pay taxes for dying? NO! this would treat people as nothing but slaves and would afford them no dignity in death!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by EllieC130
Well they shouldn't run my life. What's free will for other than to make our own choices? Following laws is one thing, but getting to decide if what you've earned should go to the people you love is another. It's about making sure they can live a bit more comfortably thanks to me.

Original post by felamaslen
No, people should be able to pass on their self-improvement work to their offspring. Giving it to the state (or I should say, having it taken by the state) would be equivalent to flushing it down the toilet, for all the good it would do.

Original post by captain.sensible
so the government takes everything you ever owned away when you die?! are you ****ing kidding me?! so if I died and wanted to give what I legitimately worked my whole life for to my children, the government would steal it from me and give it to somebody else? we already get almost taxed to death already! why should anybody have to pay taxes for dying? NO!

Original post by Suetonius
Inheritance tax is an affront to human decency. Curse the evil person who came up with the idea that the State should mug the families of a recently deceased person. Disgusting.

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
No way, absolutely not. It's a person's right to leave their stuff to their loved ones if they so wish. If a law was passed saying that wealth and possessions should be claimed by the state when you die, I'd move abroad.

Your right to do what you want with your money is determined by the government, you have no innate rights as all rights derive from government legislation. If the government says you don't have the right to buy an automatic rifle then you don't have that right. If the government says you don't have the right to enrich uranium in your house then you don't have that right. If the government says you don't have the right to pass on wealth when you die then you don't have that right.
(edited 10 years ago)
No. People want to make sure they leave something behind for their children/grandchildren/other loved ones so that they may be comfortable. People also leave behind things that have sentimental value just in their family- engagement rings for example- and it's not fair for the government to get that.
Original post by crayz
Your right to do what you want with your money is determined by the government, you have no innate rights as all rights derive from government legislation. If the government says you don't have the right to buy an automatic rifle then you don't have that right. If the government says you don't have the right to enrich uranium in your house then you don't have that right. If the government says you don't have the right to pass on wealth when you die then you don't have that right.

This isn't about rights, this is about wants. Like I said the government shouldn't be able to control me. Once I've earned that money it's mine. Don't give me any legal crap; it's in my possession. It belongs to me until I give it away. The government shouldn't get to baby me and take that money just because they're the government. That's not fair. If you really want to put it in a basic form, it's theft.
Reply 19
Original post by crayz

Well I have and the government's words and opinions mean **** all to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending