The Student Room Group

Canadian student thinking of studying in the UK, need help???

I am currently 16, and in the 11th grade in Toronto, Canada. I have always wanted to work and live in the UK, as well as study there, ever since I took a trip to london a year ago for two weeks. I want to apply to schools in the UK, doesn't matter where. I've been on several websites, and have read things such as "you must take the A-levels or the GSCE" and I have no idea what that means or what those tests are. I wish to pursue a career in kinesiology. If I can't study undergrad in the UK, I wish to get my masters in the UK. Can someone explain what I need to do to qualify to apply and get in? I don't have my sights set on any major universities like Oxford or Cambridge, but I was looking at the University of Glascow and thinking that it was a good option. Any advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. As well, if you don't thin studying abroad for undergrad is a good idea, any suggestions on grad school studying in the UK?
I don't know how to apply to do undergrad in the UK, and it seems like very few people do that. Not saying it's a bad idea, just that I don't know anyone that did it. From what I gathered, A-levels are essentially equivalent to grade 11 and grade 12 courses in Canada, but I'm not too sure.

Going to the UK for masters is reasonably common, though, and you don't really need to do any special preparation (no standardized tests, etc). Just need good grades, and 2 references (basically 2 professors that you have worked with and can recommend you for graduate studies).

I did my undergrad at UBC, and will be doing masters at Imperial College in a few months.
you need to get in touch with the universities you want to apply to and ask them brah. Best do it now so you can plan ahead.
Original post by maria_p
I am currently 16, and in the 11th grade in Toronto, Canada. I have always wanted to work and live in the UK, as well as study there, ever since I took a trip to london a year ago for two weeks. I want to apply to schools in the UK, doesn't matter where. I've been on several websites, and have read things such as "you must take the A-levels or the GSCE" and I have no idea what that means or what those tests are. I wish to pursue a career in kinesiology. If I can't study undergrad in the UK, I wish to get my masters in the UK. Can someone explain what I need to do to qualify to apply and get in? I don't have my sights set on any major universities like Oxford or Cambridge, but I was looking at the University of Glascow and thinking that it was a good option. Any advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. As well, if you don't thin studying abroad for undergrad is a good idea, any suggestions on grad school studying in the UK?

Hey, I am Canadian and I applied to the UK for my undergrad - currently doing BSc Psychology in Bristol. PM me and we can talk more :smile:

Are you doing the OSSD (i.e. normal high school)? If so, that's fine as they should be able to roughly approximate the grades. However, it may not translate as well as if you are instead doing IB for instance.

You need to apply through 'UCAS' and now is a good time to start looking. Anyway PM me :smile:
Reply 4
Hi I currently live and study in Glasgow at University of Glasgow and am a native Scot so I would be very happy to answer any location based question on Glasgow/Scottish culture in general. Hint: It is actually noticeably different from English culture. (not in a bad way, but it is different) :smile: I'm also studying abroad at the University of Calgary this September so maybe we can help each other out? :smile:
You may be able to do a Canadian degree with a Year Abroad at a UK University. This is a far better/cheaper way of getting 'UK experience' than trying to do your entire degree here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending