The Student Room Group

swear filter

Why is **** filtered out but slut isn't? Calling someone a slut is far more offensive than using the f bomb. Given recent relevations about the levels of misogyny and sexual harrassment in UK society as shown by things like the everyday sexism project, perhaps TSR could lead the way in combatting the culture of casual sexism by thinking more carefully about the words it censors.

By censoring the n word but not censoring slut, it is suggesting that misogyny is more acceptable than racist. Is this TSR's official policy?
Reply 1
I would assume because slut isn't seen as a swear word and also has uses in conversation other than to insult someone.

I cant think of any sites I use that have a swear filter that has slut in it.
Reply 2
Original post by Idle
I would assume because slut isn't seen as a swear word and also has uses in conversation other than to insult someone.

I cant think of any sites I use that have a swear filter that has slut in it.

This is why as a socially responsible website, TSR should take the lead in combatting misogyny.

If you don't want to filter it, using misogynistic language should carry an automatic blue card offence.

Community guidelines state:
Do not express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views. You know the kind of thing there’s no place for racism, religious hatred, sexism or homophobia here

Well the words "slut" or "slag" are quite clearly discriminatory, offensive and sexist. Anyone who uses it is breaking the community guidelines and this should not be tolerated anymore than someone using words like ******, paki, faggot etc.
Reply 3
Original post by cole-slaw
This is why as a socially responsible website, TSR should take the lead in combatting misogyny.

If you don't want to filter it, using misogynistic language should carry an automatic blue card offence.

Community guidelines state:

Well the words "slut" or "slag" are quite clearly discriminatory, offensive and sexist. Anyone who uses it is breaking the community guidelines and this should not be tolerated anymore than someone using words like ******, paki, faggot etc.

If someone is calling another user a slut or a slag you can report it to us via the report button.
Patriarchy gonna patriarchy, I guess.
Reply 5
Original post by Idle
If someone is calling another user a slut or a slag you can report it to us via the report button.

It shouldn't have to be a direct insult to another user, just using the word without quotation marks is offensive.

Saying "I was walking down the street and I passed a bunch of sluts" is no less discriminatory than "I was walking down the street and I passed a bunch of pakis".
Reply 6
Original post by cole-slaw
"slag" [is] quite clearly discriminatory, offensive and sexist.

Context is key.

A slag is a pile of stoney waste when melting ore. You can quite easily say someone was slagging another off. Neither of those two uses of the word are in any way discriminatory, derogatory, offensive or sexist.
Quite a variety of words that would be deemed as swearing or offensive aren't covered up, like bastard, slut, pussy, ****, prick etc.

But I still thnk if you actually reffered to someone using these words it would be a card-able offence.

Edit: Ok, so maybe **** is blocked...
(edited 10 years ago)
Slut and slag are such meaningless stupid, gutter words.

I much prefer the phrase cray ass hoe.
Reply 9
Original post by Silver Arrows
Quite a variety of words that would be deemed as swearing or offensive aren't covered up, like bastard, slut, pussy, ****, prick etc.

But I still thnk if you actually reffered to someone using these words it would be a card-able offence.

Edit: Ok, so maybe **** is blocked...

But then some words which contain other words deemed bad can be held back. I, believe it or not, actually use the word s n i g g e r in everyday conversation, just as I'd use chuckle, but it's blanked out by the swear filter.

However, Scunthorpe?
Original post by Drewski
But then some words which contain other words deemed bad can be held back. I, believe it or not, actually use the word s n i g g e r in everyday conversation, just as I'd use chuckle, but it's blanked out by the swear filter.

However, Scunthorpe?

I snigger in Scunthorpe.

Works for me :dontknow:
Reply 11
Original post by Silver Arrows
I snigger in Scunthorpe.

Works for me :dontknow:

Oh. The former never used to for me.
Original post by Drewski
Oh. The former never used to for me.

This depends on how the word is entered into the list of filtered words - this can be done in a way that ignores the text string if it's used as part of a larger word - as with snigger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending