jendra9311
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Accommodation in Kent

I'm currently towards the end of my third year at the University of Wolverhampton studying Biomedical science. I have an offer to study Biomedical science part time as a Masters here next year, but I'd rather do a course a bit more directed towards embryology as that's where I want to go career wise. The University of Kent, Canterbury campus, has a good course (Reproductive Medicinecience & Ethics) but I need to know what sort of accommodation is available.

Wherever I go I need to study part time, so I can work and fund my course. I'm fairly sure I can work in Wolverhampton, but I need some seriously cheaper accommodation than I've seen to make it work in Kent. Any advice?

I was thinking of initially moving into a hall for the first of my course, then into a house once I actually know anyone in Kent, but money is the major deciding factor.
lynstaylor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jendra9311)
Accommodation in Kent

I'm currently towards the end of my third year at the University of Wolverhampton studying Biomedical science. I have an offer to study Biomedical science part time as a Masters here next year, but I'd rather do a course a bit more directed towards embryology as that's where I want to go career wise. The University of Kent, Canterbury campus, has a good course (Reproductive Medicinecience & Ethics) but I need to know what sort of accommodation is available.

Wherever I go I need to study part time, so I can work and fund my course. I'm fairly sure I can work in Wolverhampton, but I need some seriously cheaper accommodation than I've seen to make it work in Kent. Any advice?

I was thinking of initially moving into a hall for the first of my course, then into a house once I actually know anyone in Kent, but money is the major deciding factor.

Im unsure about whether you are able to live on campus part time if you are doing a masters - but look into accommodation prices for Woolf as that is where all the postgrads live.

You can also get cheap student houses around here - there will be people advertising for flatmates around the summer time and you can get anywhere ranging from 80-110 a week.
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jendra9311)
Accommodation in Kent

I'm currently doing a full-time Masters here and I had the option of staying in two places (that were affordable, other options were studio flats) - Woolf College and Darwin Houses. Nothing wrong with either, Woolf probably has the advantage as you get an en-suite. Obviously the disadvantage is the cost, you'll need to be looking at earning at least £300-400 a month just to pay rent (let alone living costs). As a part-time student, I'm sure if you find a job you can find enough hours to cover that - I have a job with casual shifts and work in my spare time and make nearly that each month - but obviously, it's a matter of finding a job. I'm unsure if you can apply for on campus accommodation as a part-time postgrad, but if that info isn't on the website, phone the accommodation office.

I also did my undergrad here and as for moving off-campus, naturally it's going to depend on location - there's plenty of student housing in Canterbury and contrary to popular belief, it can be picked up all year around, even in the summer before the year starts. If you're lucky, you'll find places as low as £200-250pppm not including bills but the average is around £300-350pppm and some will and some won't include basic bills in that. It's a rip-off for some of the houses you can get, but hey it's an easy to manipulate market. Naturally, you'll need to find housemates, Kent has an official forum for you to do this and I'm certain there must be a couple of Facebook groups to help you find housemates.

Not much in advice in there, but do ask any other questions you may have
Eleen
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Champagne Supernova)
I'm currently doing a full-time Masters here and I had the option of staying in two places (that were affordable, other options were studio flats) - Woolf College and Darwin Houses. Nothing wrong with either, Woolf probably has the advantage as you get an en-suite. Obviously the disadvantage is the cost, you'll need to be looking at earning at least £300-400 a month just to pay rent (let alone living costs). As a part-time student, I'm sure if you find a job you can find enough hours to cover that - I have a job with casual shifts and work in my spare time and make nearly that each month - but obviously, it's a matter of finding a job. I'm unsure if you can apply for on campus accommodation as a part-time postgrad, but if that info isn't on the website, phone the accommodation office.

I also did my undergrad here and as for moving off-campus, naturally it's going to depend on location - there's plenty of student housing in Canterbury and contrary to popular belief, it can be picked up all year around, even in the summer before the year starts. If you're lucky, you'll find places as low as £200-250pppm not including bills but the average is around £300-350pppm and some will and some won't include basic bills in that. It's a rip-off for some of the houses you can get, but hey it's an easy to manipulate market. Naturally, you'll need to find housemates, Kent has an official forum for you to do this and I'm certain there must be a couple of Facebook groups to help you find housemates.

Not much in advice in there, but do ask any other questions you may have
Hi Champagne!

I'd love to have your impression on Woolf... Beside what you've already said, is it okay? What are the other disadvantages? I've heard of some problem with the phone signal? Did you have to take O2 or did you have another operator? Is the lack of Wi-Fi not too annoying?
Thank you for your advice!
Champagne Supernova
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Eleen)
Hi Champagne!

I'd love to have your impression on Woolf... Beside what you've already said, is it okay? What are the other disadvantages? I've heard of some problem with the phone signal? Did you have to take O2 or did you have another operator? Is the lack of Wi-Fi not too annoying?
Thank you for your advice!
Heya,

I don't actually live in Woolf, but I've been there a few times now and will do my best to answer some questions!

If you can afford it, then living in Woolf is great It's close enough to campus to get to everything quickly but also far enough removed to feel like a little postgrad community, which I think is great. Sometimes, the hustle and bustle of freshers on campus gets a bit much, so having an accomm. block away from other accomm. blocks is nice (unlike say, Eliot and Rutherford). But yeah, having an en suite is always useful and the kitchens are certainly ample sized and feel nice to cook in I don't really think you can go wrong living there.

Phone signal - I know it used to be a problem, but I've only ever been with T-Mobile (now EE) in my 4 years at Kent and had few problems. I think the only provider which is a bit dodgy down here is Vodafone, but they do have a shop on the high street so can't be all that bad

I have no idea about the Wi-Fi thing, but I've never heard someone over in Woolf complain about internet or anything :yy:

Feel free to ask more questions
joelkibs34556
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello Champagne,

I am coming to Canterbury in September to study full time Msc international business management. As the uni accommodation prices are high for me i am looking at living off campus. Well can you help me provide any links or forums where i can find post grad housemates at Kent. And i am looking getting some part time work, i am currently a marketing assistant in London, what kind of jobs am i likely of get down in Canterbury?

Thanks in advance.
Champagne Supernova
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by joelkibs34556)
Hello Champagne,

I am coming to Canterbury in September to study full time Msc international business management. As the uni accommodation prices are high for me i am looking at living off campus. Well can you help me provide any links or forums where i can find post grad housemates at Kent. And i am looking getting some part time work, i am currently a marketing assistant in London, what kind of jobs am i likely of get down in Canterbury?

Thanks in advance.
Hi there,

I have to say that I'm not a particular expert on either of your two questions. Advice from the university itself can be found here http://www.kent.ac.uk/accommodation/...ing/index.html and if you find that you can't access their 'message board,' then phone the accommodation office and I'm sure they will be able to you.

As someone who is a marketing assistant already, I'm sure you have a CV with a lot of experience and qualifications. I can only assume there are jobs down here that will interest you and will be part-time, but I can only suggest searching the internet for companies. I'm really sorry that I can't be more help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads