The Student Room Group

What is the best way to get rid of a toxic family?

My girlfriend's friend recently called and broke down on the phone. She said that her parents will remove her car, support payments and everything else if she doesn't leave her current job, return home and accept a job in her town.

Her parents handed in a CV to some place, made her go to the interview for which she had no idea what it was about. None of her relatives are on her side and are as small minded as each other. My girlfriend was the only person she could turn do :/

All her parents do is scream at her and she never does anything wrong, I feel terrible for her because she just feel in a complete and utter mess and none of it is her fault

She's suggested taking the job for a short while to save up some money, then leave without a word's warning.

Would this be the best way? Has anyone got any other suggestions?
Reply 1
What job is it?
Holy hell, they sound crazy. Sorry to hear that :eek:

Does she owe them/anyone else any money? Also, is she capable of supporting herself via her current job? If it's financially viable for her to do so (she should type up a document and work out her budget to make sure this is the case first) I'd cut them off or at least distance myself from them. Life's too short to spend with people who hate you.
Reply 3
I'd personally tell them to **** right off, and shove the 'support' they are offering up their anal cavity.
Reply 4
Original post by Arabella Zee
Holy hell, they sound crazy. Sorry to hear that :eek:

Does she owe them/anyone else any money? Also, is she capable of supporting herself via her current job? If it's financially viable for her to do so (she should type up a document and work out her budget to make sure this is the case first) I'd cut them off or at least distance myself from them. Life's too short to spend with people who hate you.

I don't think she owes money, but she's working in London for the BBC, I can't remember if she's got her own place which is being paid for by her father or if she's living at home. But I have a feeling she wouldn't be able to support herself where she currently is :s-smilie:
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I don't think she owes money, but she's working in London for the BBC, I can't remember if she's got her own place which is being paid for by her father or if she's living at home. But I have a feeling she wouldn't be able to support herself where she currently is :s-smilie:

That's good, if she owed them money it would be harder to get out.

Does she have any friends she could stay with for a bit?

How much exactly does she earn? AFAIK (you may want to ask this separately in the appropriate forum, or suggest that she make an account to, I'm not exactly :smile:) if you earn under a certain amount you are entitled to benefits on top of that. Is it somewhere she wants to continue working, could she apply for a higher paid job?
My girlfriend's friend recently called and broke down on the phone. She said that her parents will remove her car, support payments and everything else if she doesn't leave her current job, return home and accept a job in her town.

Her parents handed in a CV to some place, made her go to the interview for which she had no idea what it was about. None of her relatives are on her side and are as small minded as each other. My girlfriend was the only person she could turn do :/

All her parents do is scream at her and she never does anything wrong, I feel terrible for her because she just feel in a complete and utter mess and none of it is her fault

She's suggested taking the job for a short while to save up some money, then leave without a word's warning.

Would this be the best way? Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Why are they doing this to her?

Could she support herself with her current job?

Couldn't she share a flat in London with a few people? I understand it may not be ideal but she could still consider it.
Original post by samba
I'd personally tell them to **** right off, and shove the 'support' they are offering up their anal cavity.

This. I'd pick being poor and living on a friends couch over being treated in the way described everyday of the week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending