The Student Room Group

How I keep on top of my Eczema

Hello I have had Eczema all my life and tried everything under the sun. Below is how I am managing to keep on top of things

Eating lots of wholegrains, fruit, vegetables, pulses, nuts & seeds, lean protein

Cut down on dairy & sugar

Use pure chimps super combo

Take a daily probiotic tablet, use honey too sweeten things (both boost your immune system)

Take a multivitamin every day

Hope this can help people like it did me. Took me a while to figure it out (it all starts from within).
maybe try drinking regulary to sort of clean out any "stuff" that keeps in peoples skin. erm, try steroid creams from your doctors? also, my brother had bad eczema but it got significantly better with age, work outs and a healthy lifestyle (which you seem to have) :smile: hope that helps a little
Thanks, this is helpful as my little nephew has got this.

Regarding dairy products - Do you have normal tea? (With Sugar & Milk). I can't imagine he will like tea without them haha. Did you also have to cut down on chocolates too?
Reply 3
Cutting down on wheat and dairy made a big difference to my eczema, as well as using a really thick emollient cream to keep the skin hydrated (I used cetraben or Boots own dermacare range). But it did improve a lot with age, at 7 both my arms were completely covered, by 15 my face was affected but after 18 flare ups were less and less frequent.
Reply 4
Regarding moisturising creams to put on the eczema, I found Aqueous Cream B.P. quite good but recently my GP recommended a longer-lasting one called Doublebase Dayleve Gel, which is better. Thanks for the dietary tips. Nice one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Marco1
Regarding moisturising creams to put on the eczema, I found Aqueous Cream B.P. quite good

You can use this to wash with too. On that subject - I was told to avoid soap and shower gels. I use some E45 bodywash.
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
You can use this to wash with too. On that subject - I was told to avoid soap and shower gels. I use some E45 bodywash.

Thanks for that. Haven’t heard of E45. I use Simple Soap in the shower as it has no perfumes in it. Been using it for years and never had any problem with it. Several years ago, it saved me from irritable skin rashes under my armpits, and I never stopped using it. And I only use Boots sensitive unfragranced roll-on which does the job nicely. Funny ole game innit!
Reply 7
Original post by Sfink
Hello I have had Eczema all my life and tried everything under the sun. Below is how I am managing to keep on top of things

Eating lots of wholegrains, fruit, vegetables, pulses, nuts & seeds, lean protein

Cut down on dairy & sugar

Use pure chimps super combo

Take a daily probiotic tablet, use honey too sweeten things (both boost your immune system)

Take a multivitamin every day

Hope this can help people like it did me. Took me a while to figure it out (it all starts from within).

Different people react differently to ezcema. Consider avoiding the following:
citric fruits
fish
dairy
nuts
honey
chocolate
egg yolk
tomatoes

Although it all starts from witihin. I definitely recommend the following:

Moisturing regularly and liberally. I use Oilatum Lotion most often but also use other ones.
Taking antihistamines to reduce allergic reactions. I use loritadine.
Changing washing powder to non-bio variety
Changing bedsheets as often as possible
Considering having a steroid cream for flare-ups. Betnovate is the one I use for weeping skin. And Elocon for very dry almost psoriasis like skin. I use Betnovate a lot more than Elocon.
Avoid using soaps from highstreet as most contain chemicals that irritate the skin, even the 'Simple' range can do this. I use a Doublebase Wash Gel.
Avoid perfume on the skin.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by L'Etudiant
Thanks, this is helpful as my little nephew has got this.

Regarding dairy products - Do you have normal tea? (With Sugar & Milk). I can't imagine he will like tea without them haha. Did you also have to cut down on chocolates too?

Have a look at the post I made just above this one about possible allergies.
I think a dash of milk in tea would be ok. It's when you have quite a bit that you may notice some irritation. For example if I have cereal then I do notice some drying....but when I have cheese then my skin reacts much worse.
Original post by Luxray
Have a look at the post I made just above this one about possible allergies.
I think a dash of milk in tea would be ok. It's when you have quite a bit that you may notice some irritation. For example if I have cereal then I do notice some drying....but when I have cheese then my skin reacts much worse.

Thank you very much for your helpful post, I'll make sure to forward it to his parents. He'll struggle to stop having dairy products as he LOVES Chocolate and cheese on toast! But I guess to get better sacrifices have to be made :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by L'Etudiant
Thank you very much for your helpful post, I'll make sure to forward it to his parents. He'll struggle to stop having dairy products as he LOVES Chocolate and cheese on toast! But I guess to get better sacrifices have to be made :smile:

Yes it's tough. I love pizza but because I'm allergic to both tomatoes and cheese it means pizza is a big no-no. But I still have it from time to time :tongue: A little bit in moderation doesn't cause me many problems.

Quick Reply

Latest