Should islanders in Shetland, Orkney, Western Isles get their desired referenda?

Watch
Poll: Should islanders in Shetland, Orkney, Western Isles get their desired referenda?
Yes (30)
83.33%
No (6)
16.67%
Gordon Seagull
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Residents of Shetland, Orkney and the Western Isles - three beautiful island groups off the coast of the northern Scottish mainland - want referenda to be held on their islands one week after the Scottish independence referendum. (See for example here, here, here and here)

For each island group, the options would be

1) become an independent country

2) stay in Scotland

And if the Scottish result was "yes" (to Scottish independence), there will also be a third option:

3) leave Scotland and stay in the UK.

The islanders have made their request by petitioning the Scottish Parliament. They invite signatures from everyone who supports them, regardless of where in the world you live. If you do support them, please sign the petition here. (It will be open until 28 April.)

The point of this poll I'm posting on the Student Room is to ask whether people do actually support the islanders getting these referenda that we want.

Please note that supporting the referenda does NOT mean supporting independence. It doesn't mean supporting the status quo either. It just means agreing with the holding of the three islands referenda.

In my opinion, islanders are unlikely to choose independence. The most likely change to the status quo brought about by an islands referendum will be if Scotland votes "yes" to independence, in which case I think Shetland will vote to leave Scotland and stay in the UK. Orkney may or may not follow (I hope we do!), and the Western Isles probably wouldn't. But that's all hypothetical anyway, because Scotland is unlikely to go independent. In that case, the vote in the islands would be independence versus status quo. Personally I think the status quo would win. But I am very strongly in favour of islanders being able to decide. And the way we can do that is in a separate referendum in each island group.

OK, so do you support the islanders being allowed to get their desired referenda on the islands?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
there should be a 4th option

join Norway

(which originally owned these islands anyway)
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You have internet up there? :confused:

I thought you burnt such technological heathens in a giant wicker man
A Mysterious Lord
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Defect to Norway.
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
Defect to Norway.
Why would Norway want them?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
Don't knwo but I would want Norway.
TheBugle
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yup, they should be able to hold one if they choose. I didn't think there was much of a movement though.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3201771

Why you'd asked to re-join the UK is pretty bizarre though if Scotland chooses indy.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
They can easily make a tonne of money off the North Sea revenue split between so few people.
Welsh_insomniac
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
When all little islands have been given to some foreign nations you'll hear an outcry from the middle classes how we should give away England away because it technically doesn't belong to them.
fabstrawberry
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
How could they possibly leave Scotland and become independent? I don't know why they'd want to anyway, they get so many benefits staying with us. They are Scottish, so why leave the country?..
Quady
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
Sheltland - Oil
Orkney - Whisky

Western Isles I doubt, but theres an argument for 'why not have them'.
Quady
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fabstrawberry)
How could they possibly leave Scotland and become independent? I don't know why they'd want to anyway, they get so many benefits staying with us. They are Scottish, so why leave the country?..
They've never considered themselves Scottish...
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
They don't share any of Scotland's cultural heritage, and the islanders have never considered themselves particularly Scottish. It doesn't seem fair to let the rest of Scotland force the islands into an independence that they don't necessarily want.

Anyway, most of the arguments against the islands separating from Scotland can be equally well used against Scotland separating from the UK. Scots are British, so why leave Britain?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheBugle)
Yup, they should be able to hold one if they choose. I didn't think there was much of a movement though.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3201771

Why you'd asked to re-join the UK is pretty bizarre though if Scotland chooses indy.
Why?

You seem to be under this impression that YeSNP supporters have a broad degree of support. There's huge swathes of Scotland that don't align themselves with the SNPs fantasy.

Maybe your average islander understands the arguments being put forward and is dismissing the SNPs fantasy wish list of a white paper.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
What benefit? The SNP seem to have earmarked their oil several times over.
fabstrawberry
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I don't know why they don't consider themselves Scottish, I would if I lived on one of those islands. They're closest to Scotland and too weak to survive on their own, so isn't it for the best that they're considered part of Scotland? The Isle of Man and the Isle of Wight are still a part of England..
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I don't know why they don't consider themselves Scottish, I would if I lived on one of those islands. They're closest to Scotland and too weak to survive on their own, so isn't it for the best that they're considered part of Scotland? The Isle of Man and the Isle of Wight are still a part of England..
You can equally well say that about Scotland in relation to the rest of the UK.
Cryptographic
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
How could they possibly leave the UK and become independent? I don't know why they'd want to anyway, they get so many benefits staying with the UK. They are British so why leave the country?..

Using the argument above, the logic for a Scottish referendum is shaky.
TheBugle
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Why?

You seem to be under this impression that YeSNP supporters have a broad degree of support. There's huge swathes of Scotland that don't align themselves with the SNPs fantasy.

Maybe your average islander understands the arguments being put forward and is dismissing the SNPs fantasy wish list of a white paper.
Why what?

YeSNP? Jesus Christ, you're an embarrassment.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheBugle)
Why what?

YeSNP? Jesus Christ, you're an embarrassment.
Am I?

Have I hit a nerve?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.67%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.9%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (146)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (46)
7.96%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (278)
48.1%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.11%

Watched Threads