Burma’s Muslims Are Facing Incredibly Harsh Curbs on Marriage, Childbirth and Religio

Watch
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://time.com/38249/burma-anti-muslim-laws/

Proposed discriminatory laws are the latest escalation in persecution of Muslims and a political ploy to secure Buddhist votes ahead of polls in 2015

Adding to this already fraught picture, new legislation threatens to isolate the Muslims further. Proposed regulations will restrict religious conversions, make it illegal for Buddhist women to marry Muslim men, place limits on the number of children Muslims can have, and outlaw polygamy, which is permitted in Islam.

More than 1.3 million signatures have reportedly been gathered in support of this plan, which is spearheaded by a group of extremist Buddhist monks and their lay supporters. The proposals were forwarded by reformist President Thein Sein to Lower House Speaker Shwe Mann late last month, and have now been submitted to relevant ministries to be drafted as bills. They have been dubbed an “intolerance package” by Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director for Human Rights Watch, who says they would be a “recipe for disaster for a multicultural, multi-religious country like Burma.”

As part of the marriage proposal, those of other religions must convert to Buddhism before marrying a Buddhist, and seek written consent of the bride’s parents. (The consent of the groom’s parents is not required, for it is assumed the non-Buddhist party is always the groom.) Any non-Buddhist who ignores the regulations will be hit with a 10-year prison sentence and confiscation of property.
Buddhism has traditionally been seen as a peaceful, tolerant religion. This latest proposed law suggest that many Buddhists, living in Burma at least, are anything but. The Muslim minority has faced severe violence the past year or so, and now there are laws that threaten to restrict and persecute these Muslims even further. Unfortunately, it seems like the laws are popular with the Burmese, and that things are going to get bad for Burmese Muslims.
Radicalathiest
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For them it's a fight back

Unfortunately to be expected as people will only take so much before retaliating

But telling isn't it not even the Buddhists a group know for tolerance and peace (not islamic 'peace' but the real kind) are unable to tolerate their muslim minority

but then we see this where ever they go.

But one point I see it that theri women will not be able to marry muslim men. It would be hypocritical of Muslims to complain about this given the restrictions they have on who can marry who.
Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Buddhism has been heavily misunderstood by the West as some airy fairy thing that people only think about.

Well, think again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Religious minorities in Burma are in rather precarious position. Those of the Christian minorities such as the Kachin and those in the Muslim minority such as the Rohingya are the subjects of much discrimination and acts of violence that largely goes unnoticed outside of Burma.

That said, I think Bangladesh is also a culprit in regards to the persecution of the Rohingya. Many of the Rohingya are descended from Bangladeshi ancestors who moved to Burma when both countries were united under British colonial rule. However, despite the fact that they have this connection with Bangladesh, Bangladesh continues to turn away refugees trying to escape persecution and the Rohingya who have made it to Bangladesh have been kept in squalid camps and deprived of access to basic amenities and human rights. The Bangladeshi government have prevented humanitarian organisations such as Medecins Sans Frontieres from providing much needed relief to the Rohingya people.
username945663
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Radicalathiest)
For them it's a fight back

Unfortunately to be expected as people will only take so much before retaliating

But telling isn't it not even the Buddhists a group know for tolerance and peace (not islamic 'peace' but the real kind) are unable to tolerate their muslim minority

but then we see this where ever they go.

But one point I see it that theri women will not be able to marry muslim men. It would be hypocritical of Muslims to complain about this given the restrictions they have on who can marry who.
Fight back lol?

How you rush to condemn violence by Muslims but not violence against Muslims...
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IdeasForLife)
Fight back lol?

No one is condoning it, merely saying that they can understand that urge to push back against the highly aggressive, acquisitive religion known as Islam
navarre
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)
Buddhism has been heavily misunderstood by the West as some airy fairy thing that people only think about.

Well, think again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep. Those Westerners typically are completely ignorant of Buddhism, thinking it's just something cool and exotic with no more substance than yoga.

(Original post by The Epicurean)
Religious minorities in Burma are in rather precarious position. Those of the Christian minorities such as the Kachin and those in the Muslim minority such as the Rohingya are the subjects of much discrimination and acts of violence that largely goes unnoticed outside of Burma.

That said, I think Bangladesh is also a culprit in regards to the persecution of the Rohingya. Many of the Rohingya are descended from Bangladeshi ancestors who moved to Burma when both countries were united under British colonial rule. However, despite the fact that they have this connection with Bangladesh, Bangladesh continues to turn away refugees trying to escape persecution and the Rohingya who have made it to Bangladesh have been kept in squalid camps and deprived of access to basic amenities and human rights. The Bangladeshi government have prevented humanitarian organisations such as Medecins Sans Frontieres from providing much needed relief to the Rohingya people.
This is a fair point. The treatment of Christians in Burma is not really covered as much as the treatment of Muslims, although Muslims have had it far worse as of late.

The Bangladeshi government should indeed do more to help the Rohingya who come to Bangladesh to flee the violence. Unfortunately, Bangladesh is barely a country that can look after its own people, so it just can't cope with refugees from Burma. Still shows just how bad the Rohingya have it, however, when many would rather live in awful conditions in Bangladesh than stay in Burma.
username945663
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MostUncivilised)
No one is condoning it, merely saying that they can understand that urge to push back against the highly aggressive, acquisitive religion known as Islam
The urge to push back against what? I really doubt the Rohingya did anything aggressive towards Buddhism.

Just seems like a group of ******s have realised they're stronger and more numerous then another group of people who hold different beliefs. So they can basically do whatever they want.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Implicitly condoning it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by navarre)
This is a fair point. The treatment of Christians in Burma is not really covered as much as the treatment of Muslims, although Muslims have had it far worse as of late.

The Bangladeshi government should indeed do more to help the Rohingya who come to Bangladesh to flee the violence. Unfortunately, Bangladesh is barely a country that can look after its own people, so it just can't cope with refugees from Burma. Still shows just how bad the Rohingya have it, however, when many would rather live in awful conditions in Bangladesh than stay in Burma.
Sure Bangladesh isn't in a position financially to provide any assistance to the Rohingya. But that is where aid organisations come in. There is no rational reason as to why aid organisations have been turned away.
Radicalathiest
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IdeasForLife)
Fight back lol?

Did I condone it?

I can understand it though.
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As you can see further south in Malaysia, where the muslim majority has reduced the Christian and Buddhist Chinese to second class citizens with a literal racial-religious apartheid system, the choice is to rule or be ruled. For all their silly dogmas, Buddhists are still real people who live in the real world, and they're choosing the most obvious of the two options.
A Mysterious Lord
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We only ever hear the Muslim side of this.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:nopity:
MarxSatanicJew
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Couldn't they just leave and move to a more Muslim country?
nicestmember
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MarxSatanicJew)
Couldn't they just leave and move to a more Muslim country?
Why on Earth would they do that if they consider Burma their home? It's their home as much as these extremist Buddhists'. I'm sure they're disliked in certain circles, why don't they leave too? Because no arms are being taken up against them?
And what Muslim country is taking them in anyway? Oh wait, there is no 'Muslim' country today, just a load nationalistic Muslim-majority puppet-governed countries.
nicestmember
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
We only ever hear the Muslim side of this.
No, you hear of Buddhists accusing Muslim men of rape, and that accusation being portrayed as fact rather than a merely alleged fact. You obviously don't read the news much.
nicestmember
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Observatory)
As you can see further south in Malaysia, where the muslim majority has reduced the Christian and Buddhist Chinese to second class citizens with a literal racial-religious apartheid system, the choice is to rule or be ruled. For all their silly dogmas, Buddhists are still real people who live in the real world, and they're choosing the most obvious of the two options.
Right, basically what you're doing is this: you acknowledge, and even amplify, the many injustices bestowed upon all sorts of non-Muslim peoples, but ignore the unfairness imposed upon Muslims, heck, even justify it? Do you acknowledge that the Chinese government's injustices to the Chinese Muslim population? The Thai government's injustices to the Thai Muslim population? They've got their own version of GITMO installed there. I'll wager your education doesn't go much beyond 'Muslims dunnit'.
Oh wait, don't say it, I'll say it for you: 'Muslims must be repressed because they're evil violent creaturs from The Outside, I totally understand why Muslims are being persecuted and I feel it's justifiable though obviously I don't condone it.'
Observatory
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nicestmember)
Right, basically what you're doing is this: you acknowledge, and even amplify, the many injustices bestowed upon all sorts of non-Muslim peoples, but ignore the unfairness imposed upon Muslims, heck, even justify it? Do you acknowledge that the Chinese government's injustices to the Chinese Muslim population? The Thai government's injustices to the Thai Muslim population? They've got their own version of GITMO installed there. I'll wager your education doesn't go much beyond 'Muslims dunnit'.
Oh wait, don't say it, I'll say it for you: 'Muslims must be repressed because they're evil violent creaturs from The Outside, I totally understand why Muslims are being persecuted and I feel it's justifiable though obviously I don't condone it.'
I'm not making a moral argument. As an atheist, I think that morally these Muslims and Buddhists should all become atheists too. As an anarchist, I think they should abandon all their religious political aims. But since they will not, that is neither here nor there.

The actual choices they have are to adopt a Muslim theocracy or a Buddhist theocracy. Which it is to be is determined purely by the demographic balance. Morally, I see nothing to distinguish the two outcomes. As Buddhists are currently in power, they have nothing to gain from facilitating the Muslims.

Islam recognises no distinction between religion and the law. All of Islam's conflicts are simple battles for supremacy. Often the people they are battling are bad in their own way, and sometimes are worse. But I have no sympathy whatsoever for their position on its own merits.
PaulPaulPaul
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You do realise you are in fact saying it's okay to kill muslims because of their beliefs?
Lord help this white boy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (67)
27.24%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.98%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.57%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed