The Student Room Group

Is averaging at 50-60 marks per essay bad for 1st year student?

Just curious to know because those are the grades I've been averaging in, with the exception of seminars where I usually get 62-64.

I didn't pass one essay for a wild module, but overall, I'm just curious to know where this will land me in terms of moving on to stage 2 and whether it's good for a first-year student.
Very bad

I prescribe to you a 6 pack of Budweiser
Reply 2
Original post by Bill_Gates
Very bad

I prescribe to you a 6 pack of Budweiser

.... very helpful
Reply 3
Original post by mebemaurice
.... very helpful
Why are you being sarcastic? That's very rude.
Reply 4
If you have to ask this question, you need to get out more.
Reply 5
Get the beer, if that's not an excuse to drink I don't know what is.
It's fine for first year - but you will need to step up your game for second and third year, as you really need to be averaging 60%+ if you want a decent job at the end of it.
Reply 7
I got a C1 today which equates to 57-59 and I mentioned I knew the essay wasn't very good to which my tutor said it was in the top 15% of general first year works.

I told him that was worrying!
Reply 8
It's not particularly good, no. Getting in the 50s is fine for the first couple of essays at university but you should be using that to realise they and your approach are lacking. First year is where you can really push the boat out and see what needs to be done to get better marks. Mirroring the tone of the secondary literature is one way of learning how to write well academically.
Reply 9
I disagree with most here. It's decent, and marks usually rise as opposed to fall in the 2nd and 3rd years. A lot of people get 2:2/3rd in the 1st year and come out with 1sts.

Just keep trying your best and don't worry about it. Uni is about development, not instant success.
Reply 10
Original post by Ronove
It's not particularly good, no. Getting in the 50s is fine for the first couple of essays at university but you should be using that to realise they and your approach are lacking. First year is where you can really push the boat out and see what needs to be done to get better marks. Mirroring the tone of the secondary literature is one way of learning how to write well academically.

Standard academic writing is helluva boring, and has no soul. My sister even does it :sad: You can write well and get good marks without mirroring tone and sounding completely dull. It's all about the content and construction!
Depends, if you have been struggling to get those marks, then it isn't going to get any easier. If you've jut been wasting time time and drinking like a first year should, then you'll be fine.
Reply 12
Original post by samba
Standard academic writing is helluva boring, and has no soul. My sister even does it :sad: You can write well and get good marks without mirroring tone and sounding completely dull. It's all about the content and construction!

Obviously you read enough secondary literature that it influences your tone, not takes away your voice completely. Oh and you don't try to mirror secondary lit that was written more than fifteen years ago or so. :tongue:
Reply 13
Its bang on average for a first year I'd say, so probably nothing to worry about now, but you've got to step it up and work harder in the 2nd and 3rd years.
Reply 14
First year doesnt really count for much, but its main purpose is to train you on how much you should be studying in private.

50-60 it depends, if you have been working flat out its bad, but if you have been doing 10-15 hours a week then its fine. Just need to up your game in 2nd year.

If your doing 40 hour a week and still getting 50s, time to rethink your degree
if your first yr doesnt count then yes its fine but u probably need to get 60+ in 2nd and third yr in all ur mdules and try to get higher for coursework
Not bad not not good either - average. You really have to work harder if you stand any chance of finishing with a good 2.1 or even a 1st.
Original post by mebemaurice
Just curious to know because those are the grades I've been averaging in, with the exception of seminars where I usually get 62-64.

I didn't pass one essay for a wild module, but overall, I'm just curious to know where this will land me in terms of moving on to stage 2 and whether it's good for a first-year student.

Personally I would say that's not bad for the first semester but by second semester you would expect to be able to get better marks. Go and see your tutors for help on how to push your work up to a 2:1 so that when it counts next year you know what to do.
Reply 18
At least it's a pass
Do you know what you need to do to get better marks? If not, then this is a bit worrying. Many people start off getting 2.2s and thirds at the start of first year, but if you haven't improved through the year, and you don't know how to improve, then that is a bit of a problem. A "good" degree is considered a 2.1 or above- so next year you really need to be aiming for as many pieces of coursework as possible over 60%, otherwise you will cut down your post-grad options a lot.

Do you have exams, and how do you think you'll do in these? Are they asking for similar skills to the coursework you haven't done so well on?

In order to improve, you need to identify where the problem is. Read your feedback carefully, and ask lecturers for more detail if you're still unsure where you went wrong. It may be that you have problems with a specific skill, e.g. essay writing. There is often help available for problems like this- so have a look around and see what is available. Many universities have essay writing workshops in the library and so on.

It may be that you don't know the content well enough. In which case, you need to go back over it and indentify areas you don't understand. Lecturers will often be willing to go over a specific area if you ask them to, or you could try and do some extra reading to try and help your understanding.

Contrary to the trend, I got a lot of 70%+ plus grades in first year. My grades dropped a bit at the start of second year as the marking was a bit harsher, but have gone back up to firsts in third year. You really need to make sure you get a 60%+ average in second year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending