The Student Room Group

Junk foods and fat people! Are you disgusted?

Poll

Whats your opinion on "Junk" foods?

I recently met a friend and we got talking, he mentioned how he hated Junk food with a passion and was completely repulsed by anyone who ate it to the extent that he didn't call a girl back after she thought it was OK to "grab a bite from mcdonalds" during an afternoon movie date.

I'm a pretty healthy guy myself and very rarely indulge myself with junk food but I found his behaviour a little far fetched because I've seen the girl he went out with and she is a great catch. His argument doesn't stop there because he thinks certain junk food that provide almost no nutrition at all should be banned and children should be taught more about healthy risk and lifestyles from a young age as it would results in lower healthy bills for the NHS and a more productive economy.

I think its a valid point but the result of banning any type of food would be negative, one because it leave it to the government to decide what people can and can't eat. Another concern is the price inflation of healthier food which is already expensive and high in demand. My own selfish opinion is let the masses eat what they want and smoke what they want and face the consequences.

I'm interested in what others have to say?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As long as people don't end up being a burden on the NHS due to their obesity (due to eating junk food) then yeah I agree with you that people should be allowed to eat whatever they want whenever they want
the junk food industry employs many students and graduates, so we shouldn't be too harsh.
I don't eat it, but it shouldn't be banned. Freedom and all that.
Reply 4
You don't eat junk food...next joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't eat junk food that much but I think a ban would be unfair on those who eat junk food in moderation :smile:
Original post by qr95
You don't eat junk food...next joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know where you're are from but where I'm from many people don't eat junk food.
Original post by MidnightDream
I don't eat junk food that much but I think a ban would be unfair on those who eat junk food in moderation :smile:

I sort of agree but my mates view was you can't have a bad thing in moderation and he started talking about msg and their addictive nature etc etc and then mentioned how you can have cocaine in moderation...........

I'm pretty sure its not the same thing LOL
Reply 8
What's the definition of junk food, anyway? A pizza can be just as unhealthy as a burger from McDonalds, after all... Which foods/restaurants would such a ban be targeting?
I think it would be better to provide education about healthier alternatives rather than just banning it altogether, because to a lot of people it's an enjoyable treat and why should we be denied that. The problem comes with over-indulgence and lack of exercise.
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
I recently met a friend and we got talking, he mentioned how he hated Junk food with a passion and was completely repulsed by anyone who ate it to the extent that he didn't call a girl back after she thought it was OK to "grab a bite from mcdonalds" during an afternoon movie date.

I'm a pretty healthy guy myself and very rarely indulge myself with junk food but I found his behaviour a little far fetched because I've seen the girl he went out with and she is a great catch. His argument doesn't stop there because he thinks certain junk food that provide almost no nutrition at all should be banned and children should be taught more about healthy risk and lifestyles from a young age as it would results in lower healthy bills for the NHS and a more productive economy.

I think its a valid point but the result of banning any type of food would be negative, one because it leave it to the government to decide what people can and can't eat. Another concern is the price inflation of healthier food which is already expensive and high in demand. My own selfish opinion is let the masses eat what they want and smoke what they want and face the consequences.

Your friend sounds like an A-list A-hole, to be completely honest. If you're going to not call a girl back over something food-related, at least let it be something important like she doesn't like bacon (I've done this).

I don't eat junk food very often. When I do, it's either because I'm skint, starving, and walking past such an establishment, or because I'm with friends who happen to be going there.

I generally eat rubbish anyway though, just not deep-fried reconstituted WTF kind of rubbish. And I'm as fit as a flea.
Problem with many junk foods is that they are so quick and easy to make and eat, which means all those cheap crappy 2 minute microwave meals that people eat result in fat and health problems.

The ideal solutions is to have a proper food education classes from a young age and make food, not just write practicals about it.
Then have cheaper healthy food such as fruit and veg.
And promote the healthy fast food stalls, because their are so many that can be made so easily and quickly.

Ultimately responsibility lies with the eater since they put the food in their mouth, and its shocking to know how many of them are oblivious to how the body works and digests food as well.

One boy asked me if eating a banana would counter act him eating a pizza.
The answer is no for all those wondering.
And all of this is the harsh reality of ignorance and lack of good healthy food for them since bad habits are enforced from a young age and continued into adult hood.

Some exceptions include depressed people who eat to not be depressed, but then are more depressed when they become fat from it. However their is yoga for that, so once again it comes down to education and health again.

One more exception is that being fat doesn't equate to unhealthy, as skinny people have visceral fat or internal fat, which is far worse and can result in a stroke, so skinny people who eat lots of junk food should be weary as well.
(edited 9 years ago)

Your friend needs to be taught about a proper diet and calories/macros.
Original post by King Leonidas
Your friend needs to be taught about a proper diet and calories/macros.

LOL I think he's doing OK on his own. he doesn't believe in nutritional waste and something about micro-nutritional perfection. I couldn't possibly argue on his behalf... LOL so I'll just say he's in amazing shape and probably knows what is going on.
Interestingly, most rly fat people I know got so from general unhealthy habits. Particularly high calorie sugar packed snacks.

I'd say the average casual fast food partaker is just chubby.
I eat it sometimes and I'm certainly not obese. Not calling a girl back for grabbing some food from McDonalds is daft. Glad I wasn't on a date with him! But I do see the point about banning it. Obesity's becoming a massive problem and it's making a lot of people very ill, so I think anything to discourage that is positive. But I doubt banning it will discourage that.

But it's not just about telling people "eat more fruit and vegetables". I know that, and I still eat unhealthy things at times. If you're pushing that at children, you need to make it a more attractive option than chocolate. Which is hard to do. Also half the time the fruit in schools is nasty, soft apples and tasteless oranges. And bananas, which I don't like. I love melon and I used to eat that for snacks sometimes but I think I'm very mildly allergic to it, so it made actually eating it kind of unpleasant. :lol: Same with kiwis.

More houmous and vegetables wouldn't have gone amiss though.
(edited 9 years ago)
People should be able to eat what they want, but there is a real gap in the market for nutritious, cheap takeaway meals. It's so easy to make a tub of hot rice and vegetable curry, or soup, ready to eat, with minimal additives - it would cost far less than £2 to make, and I would so choose that over a cardboard flat brown thing in some rancid bread for £5.

McDonalds isn't even nice - people only think that because they remember Happy Meals. Kebab vans and fish and chip shops I can understand, but even so it's completely false that healthy food has to be lettuce, and nice food has to be un-nutritious.

I know there are already people selling soup / curry etc, but it's usually expensive, unhealthy, and less accessible than McDonalds.
Original post by Tootles
Your friend sounds like an A-list A-hole, to be completely honest. If you're going to not call a girl back over something food-related, at least let it be something important like she doesn't like bacon (I've done this).

I don't eat junk food very often. When I do, it's either because I'm skint, starving, and walking past such an establishment, or because I'm with friends who happen to be going there.

I generally eat rubbish anyway though, just not deep-fried reconstituted WTF kind of rubbish. And I'm as fit as a flea.

He is a dick but in fairness he knows it and tries to play up even more. He's fukin shredded on another level and girls think hes a bad boy type even though he's a med student so they aren't surprised when he basically tells them to piss off.
Your friends sounds like a self entitled ******** who doesn't really know what he's talking about tbh. Being repulsed by someone who eats junk food on occasion probably doesn't know that much about health. You can easily have fast food every now and then and be perfectly healthy, or not eat it and be unhealthy. He doesn't like the food, fine. But to ban it? seriously? It's very easy to support a ban on junk food if you don't eat it. A ban wouldn't effect your friends life in anyway whatsoever. He's already "banned" it from his personal diet leave other people alone.
(edited 9 years ago)
LOL I think he's doing OK on his own. he doesn't believe in nutritional waste and something about micro-nutritional perfection. I couldn't possibly argue on his behalf... LOL so I'll just say he's in amazing shape and probably knows what is going on.

I acknowledge that he may be in good shape but anyone who knows anything about dieting etc will know that junk food is not the Devil.

Latest