rafiaah_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've just decided i want to study engineering at degree level. I do maths, biology, chemistry and english lit/lang. Can i still do so with these subjects?
EveryNameIsTaken
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on the university and the specific course really. For mechanical engineering or aeronautical engineering, generally speaking you need physics. For chemical engineering for most universities you need maths and chemistry OR physics - and chemical engineering is awesome
But look on a few university websites and see what they ask for to study a particular engineering course
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What sort of engineering? There are a good dozen fields which deal with different problems and require different skills. Maths will be important, the rest will depend on the field. You'd be very well set up for a chemical/bio engineering role but at a disadvantage for mechanically based courses (mechanical, automotive, aerospace, civil, etc). For those, having physics would be ideal.

As mentioned, it really depends on the university and their entry requirements. For some they only care that you have maths. Others may want maths + physics, or maths + a science (which you would have). I did maths, product design technology, electronics and physics before going into mechanical engineering - I use skills from each of those subjects on pretty much a daily basis. I even use a tiny bit of chemistry knowledge when it comes to calculating gas compositions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (114)
15.53%
Uncertainty around my education (120)
16.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (70)
9.54%
Isolating with family (50)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (28)
3.81%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (64)
8.72%
Loneliness (78)
10.63%
Financial worries (29)
3.95%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (65)
8.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (47)
6.4%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (69)
9.4%

Watched Threads