The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Life at KCL

Hi there!

I've recently firmed my offer to study history at KCL in September and I wanted to be well prepared and get to grips with life in London before I go. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to answer these questions in as much detail as possible- most of them concerning finances.

1. I find Oyster Cards quite confusing. I get the whole pay as you go thing, but how much do you actually pay? The TFL website lists around three different prices. I would, i imagine, not be travelling anywhere outside of zone 3 and I do have a 16-25 national rail card. I imagine I'll be quite active and going around London quite a bit. Would it be cheaper to just pay as you go or to add a monthly travel card to the oyster card itself? How much on average do you spend per week on public transport?

2. How easy/difficult is it to cycle in London? Is it quite flat or at times hilly and are the roads quite busy (with cyclists)? Also, is it mostly cycle paths on the road?

3. Which is the best accommodation? I'm not the kind of person who goes on nights out, and I like quieter, prettier areas so I was going to apply to the Hampstead residence as my main choice. Is it a nice place?

4. What is the timetable like for a humanities subject? How many hours of the subject do you have per week for seminars and lectures and when do they usually occur? Are they usually late/early, packed together/sporadic?

Thanks for anyone who can help, I would appreciate any helpful answers superbly.
I'd imagine in hampstead the monthly student oyster is the way to go! Just get a zone 1-2 tube one for hat, I'm looking at more central accommodation so should only need a PAYG card!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
1. Zone 1-2. Grab a student 18+ oyster and get that. Buses are included in all travelcards btw!

2.Not really cycle lanes per se, but all bus lanes are cycle lanes - which is both good, and bad ( I do actually, for once, recommend watching last,last,last week's Top Gear to get some factual view of this). Road's busy at peak times, and central roads are always busy, but you'll be fine. Loads of other cyclists to keep you from fearing for your life alone.

3. All of them are pretty much alright. Hampstead is indeed in a more quieter spot than most of the other halls (intercollegiates included). It's a safe choice.

4. Not one myself, but I do remember hallmates having something crazy from 3 hours a week to my current flatmate having about 6 hours a week. I believe they're relatively fixed once you get your modules.

Original post by callummj6747
I'd imagine in hampstead the monthly student oyster is the way to go! Just get a zone 1-2 tube one for hat, I'm looking at more central accommodation so should only need a PAYG card!

Weren't you a medic applicant/offer holder? Unless you get GDSA or Wolfson, get a travelcard. None of the other halls are close enough to waste time walking. Or get a bus pass if you're really tight on money, but you'll need one either way.
Original post by hslakaal
1. Zone 1-2. Grab a student 18+ oyster and get that. Buses are included in all travelcards btw!

2.Not really cycle lanes per se, but all bus lanes are cycle lanes - which is both good, and bad ( I do actually, for once, recommend watching last,last,last week's Top Gear to get some factual view of this). Road's busy at peak times, and central roads are always busy, but you'll be fine. Loads of other cyclists to keep you from fearing for your life alone.

3. All of them are pretty much alright. Hampstead is indeed in a more quieter spot than most of the other halls (intercollegiates included). It's a safe choice.

4. Not one myself, but I do remember hallmates having something crazy from 3 hours a week to my current flatmate having about 6 hours a week. I believe they're relatively fixed once you get your modules.

Weren't you a medic applicant/offer holder? Unless you get GDSA or Wolfson, get a travelcard. None of the other halls are close enough to waste time walking. Or get a bus pass if you're really tight on money, but you'll need one either way.

Yeah medic offer holder, I cycle loads anyway but atm I'm thinking if I get GDS, Wolfson, Julian Markham, Moonraker of SSA I'll just get a PAYG card for when I'm too hungover to bother using my own energy to get to lectures! I don't mind walking 20-30mins tbh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MichelleKinsley
Hi there!

I've recently firmed my offer to study history at KCL in September and I wanted to be well prepared and get to grips with life in London before I go. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to answer these questions in as much detail as possible- most of them concerning finances.

1. I find Oyster Cards quite confusing. I get the whole pay as you go thing, but how much do you actually pay? The TFL website lists around three different prices. I would, i imagine, not be travelling anywhere outside of zone 3 and I do have a 16-25 national rail card. I imagine I'll be quite active and going around London quite a bit. Would it be cheaper to just pay as you go or to add a monthly travel card to the oyster card itself? How much on average do you spend per week on public transport?

It would probably be cheaper to pay as you go, depending on where you live. I live close enough that I can walk into uni, so I don't take public transport daily. I would advise however that you get the bus rather than the tube, its much much cheaper, and usually more convenient. The tube is only for long journies that you need to do relatively quickly.

2. How easy/difficult is it to cycle in London? Is it quite flat or at times hilly and are the roads quite busy (with cyclists)? Also, is it mostly cycle paths on the road?

Its pretty scary if you're not used to it, and at rush hour there are more cyclists than cars. But its certainly possible. There aren't many cycle paths in the very centre, but there are some.

3. Which is the best accommodation? I'm not the kind of person who goes on nights out, and I like quieter, prettier areas so I was going to apply to the Hampstead residence as my main choice. Is it a nice place?

I thought they were closing it down? Maybe that's next year. Yes, its quite nice, although don't expect any halls of residence to be totally quiet, there are plenty of freshers there.

4. What is the timetable like for a humanities subject? How many hours of the subject do you have per week for seminars and lectures and when do they usually occur? Are they usually late/early, packed together/sporadic?

History has about 6 hours of contact per week, you'll barely be in uni at all :P. But its quite a lot of work also, essays and whatnot. They're reasonably sporadic and unpredictable.
Reply 5
Original post by callummj6747
Yeah medic offer holder, I cycle loads anyway but atm I'm thinking if I get GDS, Wolfson, Julian Markham, Moonraker of SSA I'll just get a PAYG card for when I'm too hungover to bother using my own energy to get to lectures! I don't mind walking 20-30mins tbh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's fine. Just remember all the other halls are further than 30 mins walking! :tongue:
Thanks for all the advice! Will probably do pay as you go on the Oyster Card depending on where the residence is (Hampstead is a 2 hr walk away!). London is all so confusing!

Quick Reply

Latest