The Student Room Group

How do UMS work? (for A* at A2)

I've just seen (here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF) the UMS boundaries.
In Physics, for example, we have 2 exams and an ISA at AS and each one out of 80 UMS, 80 UMS and 40 UMS respectively . So full marks on all would yield 200 UMS.

Also, Psychology, we have 2 exams. Each one out of 100 UMS, so a total of 200 UMS at AS.

However, I've read online that AS makes up 300 UMS and A2 makes up a further 300 UMS, which seems a little bizarre seeing as I can only get a maximum of 200 in three of my subjects and 160 in my last one (RS).

How does this work? And how many UMS is generally required for an A or A* at A2, is there any online tool to do this?
Reply 1
Raw mark to UMS on papers are different, to compensate for difficulty. For example You could get 70/100 in one paper, and 60/100 in another, but they could both translate to 72 UMS due to the latter being more difficult.

Always 80% overall UMS over AS and A2 to achieve an A
You need at least 80% UMS at AS, (A), and then at least 90% UMS at A2 to achieve an A*.
It works exactly like this. 80 AS 90 A2. If you were to get 100% UMS at AS, but 89% at A2, that would translate to an A, simply, you need an A at AS to qualify for the A*, and then 90% at A2 to actually get it.

Different exam boards use different UMS totals. OCR/AQA tend to use 600 Total (300 AS, 300 A2), whereas edexcel for example tend to use 400 Total (200 AS, 200 A2)
Reply 2
Nevermind, I've just seen the sticky on UMS.
Reply 3
If you're still looking, this is a neat tool that will tell you how far you are away from each UMS grade boundary at A-level.
Reply 4
Original post by BWCW
If you're still looking, this is a neat tool that will tell you how far you are away from each UMS grade boundary at A-level.

wheres that
Reply 5
Original post by zed963
wheres that

Click the link! (The 'this' :smile:)
Reply 6
Original post by BWCW
Click the link! (The 'this' :smile:)

I was looking for an AQA one.
Reply 7
Original post by zed963
I was looking for an AQA one.

Oh, whoops. It works if your A levels are out of 400 or 600 overall (if your AS levels are out of 200 or 300), but if AQA is different then I don't know. :redface:
Reply 8
I could have claimed expenses on this site before GCSE results day, it was like my second home: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

Quick Reply

Latest