The Student Room Group

Why should low income families get grants?

I don't understand why people with supposed low incomes should be given maintenance grants when repayment of loans is based upon income after graduation. It means that these people get thousands of pounds of free money, and the rich can basically pay for their children to go to university but what about everyone else in the middle? I'm going to receive absolutely no financial help from my parents at university, my parents are not divorced but only my dad works, and he earns above the threshold (I presume) so I will get minimum loans, no grants and will have to get a part time job to stay at university. How is this fair? If repayment is based upon your own income after university, then everyone should receive the same support and loans before. Grants in my opinion should only be given on academic merit.
Also, why should 'disabled' people receive bursaries? I have a friend who got a free computer and gets over 3k a year as a grant for having dyslexia. Why should having dyslexia enable her to be 9k better off than everyone else?
It just makes no sense to me. The whole system if flawed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is fair.

There are bursaries and scholarships available for academic merit.

Like you said, the tuition fees are only paid back when you earn over a certain threshold.

You said that everyone should be awarded the same bursaries, yet hypothetically rich people can afford to pay off their tuition comfortably whereas lower income students have to pay for books and other expenses.

Also higher income students tend to go better schools, private tutors etc. so don't lower income students deserve some support.

About your friend I don't know about that. Maybe it's severe, or they need assistance or something like that.

You are a higher income student, which IIRC means that your dad earns over 55/60 thousand pounds a year. Which suggests that you are in the upper threshold of household incomes in the UK.

So I would suggest you stop complaining rich kid and be grateful that you have the opportunity of an education.

From TSR threads about grades alone, generally everyone here would be entitled to academic scholarships and factor in international students and other high achievers that are not on TSR.

Seeing as you are rich, you really should have saved up for this in retrospect.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mojojojo
I don't understand why people with supposed low incomes should be given maintenance grants when repayment of loans is based upon income after graduation. It means that these people get thousands of pounds of free money, and the rich can basically pay for their children to go to university but what about everyone else in the middle? I'm going to receive absolutely no financial help from my parents at university, my parents are not divorced but only my dad works, and he earns above the threshold (I presume) so I will get minimum loans, no grants and will have to get a part time job to stay at university. How is this fair? If repayment is based upon your own income after university, then everyone should receive the same support and loans before. Grants in my opinion should only be given on academic merit.
Also, why should 'disabled' people receive bursaries? I have a friend who got a free computer and gets over 3k a year as a grant for having dyslexia. Why should having dyslexia enable her to be 9k better off than everyone else?

The Grants System is clearly designed so that the higher the income of your parents, the lower the grants you get/no grants above a threshold this should make it clear to parents that the Government are expecting parents to pay for their children.I have absolutely no problems with the Government's scheme because it would be ridiculous to ask the Government to pay student's grants, when their parents can afford to but there is a big problem with a lot of very greedy parents, who won't pay their children the money they are clearly entitled to.The difference between the income of parents in the lower income bracket that get the full grant and income of parents in the upper income that get no grants is larger than the grant payed out so any attempts by your parents to say they can't afford it is rubbish basically.
Reply 3

It doesn't. The grant for disabled students isn't in the form of money. It's for things like equipment and a non-medical helper.

The grant is to put disabled students on a level playing field.
No extra help means daddy earns over £60K a year
In the top 10% of earners
Stop whining rich kid
You are just low on his list of priorities
(edited 10 years ago)
Its vertically equitable. Ofcourse, it could be argued that it is unequal.. but I think most would acknowledge that its fair in terms of social mobility.
Reply 6
I agree. I have to pay a lot of money to go to university here in the UK. I am Lucky my father is a very wealthy pastor in Nigeria. It is not fair that the poor here get free education, they should be the ones having to work.
Reply 7
Original post by Dalek1099
The Grants System is clearly designed so that the higher the income of your parents, the lower the grants you get/no grants above a threshold this should make it clear to parents that the Government are expecting parents to pay for their children.I have absolutely no problems with the Government's scheme because it would be ridiculous to ask the Government to pay student's grants, when their parents can afford to but there is a big problem with a lot of very greedy parents, who won't pay their children the money they are clearly entitled to.The difference between the income of parents in the lower income bracket that get the full grant and income of parents in the upper income that get no grants is larger than the grant payed out so any attempts by your parents to say they can't afford it is rubbish basically.

Why should parents pay, and what do you mean 'the money their children are clearly entitled to'? What makes you think you are entitled to any of your parents money? The system benefits the super rich who pay the most tax so in a way their children are entitled to government paid education, and those on incomes classed as low. The people on middle-ground incomes are the worst off. They get no grants, low loans and their parents can't afford to throw money at them. What I don't understand is why we are paying 9k a year when in most other European countries it's near enough free for their residents.
Reply 8
Original post by balotelli12
No extra help means daddy earns over £60K a year
In the top 10% of earners
Stop whining rich kid
You are just low on his list of priorities

Actually no. It means he earns more than 42,620. I have one parent who works, he pays for 2 cars, a mortgage, food, etc for a family of 5. We don't go on family holidays, and are currently in debt. He worked his way up in a transport company, and I went to a secondary school with a 40% A-C pass rate. So no, don't you dare call me rich kid, I've worked for everything I've ever had. If I need clothes/phone etc, I buy then with money from my part time job. I hate handouts. I hate how people on these supposed low incomes are able to get thousands of pounds of free money for no reason, or are just families like mine with a divorced parent and they're working the system to get the extra money. It's flawed.
The system is stupid. Only "poor" adults appreciate it because it works to their advantage. My parents are financially comfortable but that doesn't mean I am. My Mum and Dad don't give me any money. Student Finance makes the idiotic assumption that just because they can help me they will. My parents don't believe in handouts. They had/have to work hard to earn what they earn and I haven't done anything that contributes to their efforts. Consequently, I have a part time job and pay for my own stuff. I don't understand why "poor" adults and I use the word "poor" very loosely have this financial upper hand. If you're so poor, go out and get a ****ing job like the rest of us. Why do you deserve a £1,000 grant? It's an extortionate amount which I can bet on average goes toward alcohol and dresses for nights out. Desolee, I've seen this first hand. All those in favour of these handouts are "poor" adults who feel sorry for themselves. "Oh, but I'm so "poor" I really need the money! I deseeeerve it! My life has been sooooo hard in this first world country! My mum and dad don't earn what yours do!" Tough ****. No, you do not "need" it. Get a job. Yes, there are jobs out there. You're just not looking hard enough.

Being "poor" should give you more drive to go out and make your own money. I do not understand why you need any extra support. Again, just because my parents can financially support me doesn't mean they will. I receive a very small amount from SF which barely covers my travel to and from uni. I see no need for adults of "poor" families to receive more money. Get off your ass and make your own God damn money. There's nothing stopping you. Your parent's inability to provide you with the financial support that you supposedly need has no bearing on your ability to work. You sure as hell do not need a bursary as a reward for being a child of supposed "poverty". /rant.
Actually no. It means he earns more than 42,620. I have one parent who works, he pays for 2 cars, a mortgage, food, etc for a family of 5. We don't go on family holidays, and are currently in debt. He worked his way up in a transport company, and I went to a secondary school with a 40% A-C pass rate. So no, don't you dare call me rich kid, I've worked for everything I've ever had. If I need clothes/phone etc, I buy then with money from my part time job. I hate handouts. I hate how people on these supposed low incomes are able to get thousands of pounds of free money for no reason, or are just families like mine with a divorced parent and they're working the system to get the extra money. It's flawed.

Completely agree with you :smile: Your dad is basically working to pay (through taxes) for someone else's child to go to University, whilst simultaneously not being able to pay for his own child to go. Which means that you have to get a job. And I know that finding work can be difficult especially if you do a course with placements or a course with lots of contact hours, as I did.:frown:

With the whole dyslexia issue; I used to get DSA, i didn't get money as such, i got a laptop, not a dell or apple, it was bog standard and very heavy! but it was the software that helped me. One program allowed me to scan in a page of text from a book, and then read it back to me, it also converted it into an audio file. Im not sure how useful that is to someone without dyslexia, but correct me if I'm wrong. DSA also paid for someone to come to my house and show me how to use the software. This helped me a lot but i mainly needed the extra time in exams that comes with being diagnosed with dyslexia.
Well first of all the bursary is neither a reward nor 'free' money.

I don't want to offend, but on an income of over 40k your parents could of saved small amounts for you over the 18 years of your life. Whereas on an income of let's say 18k that is practically impossible.
Original post by Deshawn
I agree. I have to pay a lot of money to go to university here in the UK. I am Lucky my father is a very wealthy pastor in Nigeria. It is not fair that the poor here get free education, they should be the ones having to work.

No-one in the UK gets free higher education. Why should you get free education if you / your parents haven't lived here, therefore, never paid taxes?
Reply 13

I'm in the exact same situation as you man. It literally makes no sense as I'm actually worse off than most (before university) and now I'm going to have to continue working after I get there as well...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
You don't seem to realise the vast majority of people on low income have to help support their family financially once they graduate, in effect lowering their wage.

Firstly, lol@name :P

I highly resent the notion that me and my famiy are gaming the system because we are lazy. I get the maintenance grant because otherwise I wouldn't be able to go to uni, it's that simple.

Is there an argument to change how the grant is handed out, probably, does it make me a lazy, good for nothing lay about for needing it, NO.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by OU Student
No-one in the UK gets free higher education. Why should you get free education if you / your parents haven't lived here, therefore, never paid taxes?

Oh do they not? I'm gonna assume you mean England.
Original post by EmmaBxoxo

There are bursaries and scholarships available for academic merit.

A lot of scholarships that I have seen for academic merit are only given to those from low-income households and those who live in the deprived areas.

Then you are spectacularly ignorant of how SFE works.
You will qualify for more maintenance loan than the minimum.
Try to research properly before sounding off on here.
You just end up looking silly.
Reply 19
There seems to be a magical line beyond which some people are "spoilt brats" and others "living in the gutter". So many generalisations in this thread and so little acknowledgement of the subtleties and complexities of individual situations
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending