US to UK Student Visa Cost - Scholarships

Watch
hhannakayee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Does anyone know about how much a visa costs if I am a US citizen applying to study in Scotland in the fall?

Also does anyone know of any scholarship websites or funds to look at?
HeatedHeavy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why would anyone want to study in Scotland especially from the US

Posted from TSR Mobile
Limoncello
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hhannakayee)
Does anyone know about how much a visa costs if I am a US citizen applying to study in Scotland in the fall?

You can find the information in the website of the UK embassy in the US. Or else here :
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ultTableAnchor

I suppose you're likely to need the Tier 4 (General) therefore £298 (you'll have to pay the equivalent in usd)
cbredear
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hhannakayee)

Re visas -- you might want to check out this thread on TSR (Americans applying to universities in UK): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...76912&page=208 (you can scroll forward or backward for tons of info on applying for visas etc.).

Also https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/study-visas will outline costs, timeline etc. for applying for a visa (I wasn't sure if you were going for a semester or for your full 4-year degree). Assuming the latter, a Tier 4 visa runs about $500 (but that covers all 4 years).

My son is in his second year at a uni in Scotland. He loves it -- the global perspective of his studies, the people, travelling, etc. Feel free to message me.

Re scholarships -- some of the unis have scholarships for international students but they are very competitive. Your best bet might be to look at scholarships offered by local organizations in your community (ask your high school counselor). For us, the cost of attendance in the UK was about the same as our premier in-state uni, and a far cry less than some of the US schools he was accepted to (even with merit scholarships).

Good luck!
hhannakayee
Rep:
?
Oh alright, I guess I'll find out more from the school about it, but that's not as expensive as I thought it would be. Thanks!
hhannakayee
Rep:
?
(Original post by cbredear)
Re visas -- you might want to check out this thread on TSR (Americans applying to universities in UK): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...76912&page=208 (you can scroll forward or backward for tons of info on applying for visas etc.).

Also https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/study-visas will outline costs, timeline etc. for applying for a visa (I wasn't sure if you were going for a semester or for your full 4-year degree). Assuming the latter, a Tier 4 visa runs about $500 (but that covers all 4 years).

My son is in his second year at a uni in Scotland. He loves it -- the global perspective of his studies, the people, travelling, etc. Feel free to message me.

Re scholarships -- some of the unis have scholarships for international students but they are very competitive. Your best bet might be to look at scholarships offered by local organizations in your community (ask your high school counselor). For us, the cost of attendance in the UK was about the same as our premier in-state uni, and a far cry less than some of the US schools he was accepted to (even with merit scholarships).

Good luck!
Oh thank you for posting that thread!! I'll have to check it out!

I actually am transferring from an American unit so I only need it two years but I was worried it was going to be over $1000.

I'll have to message you and find out about traveling, I want to do a lot of it while I'm there! Gotta start saving up now!

I've been trying to look, but I am not in high school anymore and my study abroad office at my school only really helps find scholarships for outside programs (like two-month summer exhibitions traveling around) and I don't want to do those. And my school doesn't offer any scholarships for my course. I'm still looking online but it's hard to know which scholarships are real or a scam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise