The Student Room Group

Should he have been murdered?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/27/japanese-man-freed-death-row-retrial

Supporters of the death penalty, you would have killed him. How can you justify that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you think they would have sentenced him in modern times? he was sentenced in 1966 the advancement in forensics is what saved him.Mistakes happen and innocent people are convicted all the time but I'm sure it happens a lot less than it used to.
Reply 2
Original post by pjm600
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/27/japanese-man-freed-death-row-retrial

Supporters of the death penalty, you would have killed him. How can you justify that?

I'm sure he will enjoy missing his entire life and now being 78 years old.... how can you claim that to be moral?
I think it's important to realize he was convicted at a time when forensic evidence was ridiculously hard to come by
This is basically why I don't support the death penalty. Though obviously technology has improved, even one false conviction is too many.
Reply 5
Original post by Viva Emptiness
This is basically why I don't support the death penalty. Though obviously technology has improved, even one false conviction is too many.

Completely and utterly agree.
if there is overwhelming evidence to prove that someone has murdered someone with an malicious intent, they should be given a death penalty, but that's my opinion, I have absolutely no regard nor any time for people who think they have the right to murder. they ruin our world, they ruin our entire society.
Reply 7
Hakamada initially admitted carrying out the murders

well that was silly
Reply 8
I like the concept of the death penalty, but this is just one example of why it wouldn't work in practice.

I do, however, think human life is drastically over valued, thus the cost of keeping someone on death row is what puts me off most.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Opts
well that was silly

Often ppl plead guilty at the advice of their lawyer to get a less harsh sentence
Original post by keromedic
Often ppl plead guilty at the advice of their lawyer to get a less harsh sentence

Original post by Opts
well that was silly

I believe the man in question confessed after being beaten and tortured.
Original post by pane123
I like the concept of the death penalty, but this is just one example of why it wouldn't work in practice.

I do, however, think human life is drastically over valued, thus the cost of keeping someone on death row is what puts me off most.

Especially in some countries where disagreeing or arguing with a judge or government official is an offence. Say guilty? You're charged. Say not guilty? You're charged. Twice.
Original post by EndTheFed
Do you think they would have sentenced him in modern times? he was sentenced in 1966 the advancement in forensics is what saved him.Mistakes happen and innocent people are convicted all the time but I'm sure it happens a lot less than it used to.

One is too many.
Original post by crayz
I'm sure he will enjoy missing his entire life and now being 78 years old.... how can you claim that to be moral?

It's moral to kill an innocent person? :confused:

Disregarding the fact that he could still live decades beyond 78, and that he could have still done a lot of things (degrees, work, family, perhaps even sex) in prison during all those years?
Original post by pane123

It costs more to kill someone than placing them in prison for life.

That is, of course, assuming that you don't also destroy the entire legal system to make it super easy to just execute people.
Original post by clh_hilary
It costs more to kill someone than placing them in prison for life.

I know and that's why I don't support the death penalty.
Original post by pane123
I know and that's why I don't support the death penalty.

Oh I misread your comment.
Original post by pane123

That's not your choice to make over lives that aren't yours
Original post by Ripper-Roo
That's not your choice to make over lives that aren't yours

The bit you highlighted isn't a choice, is it?
Original post by pane123
The bit you highlighted isn't a choice, is it?

Why do you think you can set a value on someone else's life? All human life is valuable and nobody should be killed

Quick Reply

Latest