The Student Room Group

Should plastic surgey be banned if it's not needed?

I think that all plastic surgery that is done on people who don't need should be banned like breast enlargement, nose jobs and other nonessential operations, I think that plastic surgery should only be allowed for people who need them, like people who suffer from burns,
If they can afford the surgery, I see no reason why it should be banned.
On the NHS, I don't see any reason why the NHS should be funding nonessential operations.
Where would you draw the line? The point of plastic (or cosmetic) surgery is it's not needed. People can function perfectly well without it - although they may not be happy. Is it needed when a women's got one boob bigger than the other? When people are stared at in the street? When someone's mental health is affected?
An extremely simplistic argument. Cosmetic surgery is needed. What about people with serious facial burns? Or those with serious genetic conditions or illnesses that have left them facially deformed?
If someone has the money and wants to do it then I don't see why they shouldn't be able to
It raises even more questions that it answers. What would you class as 'needed'?

Someone who has severe burns and is physically deformed or someone who is just a bit on the ugly side and wants to look hotter?
Shouldn't be allowed on the NHS, but private should be allowed.
I'm no fan of (unnecessary/vanity - other kinds are obviously fine) plastic surgery, but banning it is too heavy-handed. I wouldn't be opposed to a tax though. Anything that can be done to slow society's degeneration into frivolous superficiality is fine by me.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's their choice. Just don't fund it with public money.
Reply 10
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Where would you draw the line? The point of plastic (or cosmetic) surgery is it's not needed. People can function perfectly well without it - although they may not be happy. Is it needed when a women's got one boob bigger than the other? When people are stared at in the street? When someone's mental health is affected?

This.

If someone's got a large benign growth on their nose, gets stared at in the street every day, and lives a miserable life as a result, if that non-essential?
Reply 11
Original post by AvatarMew
On the NHS, I don't see any reason why the NHS should be funding nonessential operations.

This already is the case. Barring the very very rare exceptional case that im sure you'll be able to find on google.

Original post by SmallTownGirl

I 100% disagree with you that plastic surgery isn't necessary, I don't think you can say this and actually understand what the role of a plastics surgeon is day to day in a normal hospital - what about when all the tendons in someone's hand are rupture, what about when they suffer a 50% full dermal burn, or post necrotising faciitis? What about the removal of a large basal cell carcinoma or malignant melanoma? More controversially, what about a model who has a mastectomy after getting breast ca?

Plastic surgery is not just boob jobs for anxious women - in fact, it is rarely boob jobs for anxious women.
The NHS doesn't fund plastic surgery, unless its for something such a breast implants for women who have had a mastectomy. I think this is ok, but I don't really understand why this is on the NHS and lazor eye surgery isn't.
it should not be funded.unless or untill its really a serious requirement.
Reply 14
It should never and will never be banned. Remember, this is a capitalist western society.

I'd actually go as far as legalising drugs and crime. Give people complete freedom and let people do what they want, that's what I say.
nope. it doesn't harm anybody, why would it need to be banned? to protect "inner beauty"? :rolleyes:
It should be banned on the NHS unless there is a proper reason/risk to why surgery is needed. However if a person is paying for the surgery then they can do what they want as is their body and money :^_^:
I don't like tennis. Therefore tennis should be banned.

I can't see any justification for banning plastic surgery. I'm happy for people to choose what they want to do to themselves. I'm very dubious about certain cosmetic surgeries on the NHS (repairing facial injuries following a car accident, great, bigger boobs because you feel sad, no), but apart from that, as long as it's safe and regulated I think it's fine.
Original post by AvatarMew
I think that all plastic surgery that is done on people who don't need should be banned like breast enlargement, nose jobs and other nonessential operations, I think that plastic surgery should only be allowed for people who need them, like people who suffer from burns,

Why should we ban it per se? I completely agree with banning cosmetic surgery on the NHS, but I really don't see why anyone has the right to ban it in principle. It's the client's choice - it's their money.
Reply 19
Original post by Genocidal
An extremely simplistic argument. Cosmetic surgery is needed. What about people with serious facial burns? Or those with serious genetic conditions or illnesses that have left them facially deformed?

We're talking about it being not needed and still being done, though. (i.e. breast augmentation).

Quick Reply

Latest