The Student Room Group

No longer want to move out, help!

Hi, sorry to the mods if this is in the wrong section~

Basically.
I'm a first year Uni student was due to move out with 6 other people into our house for 2nd year.
However, since agreeing and signing I no longer get on with my "friends" they have shown their true colours and are rude, disrespectful and messy. Often keeping me up until 4 in the morning and shouting at me and stealing my belongings. We have already seen the house and I have signed my agreeors form and paid my £185 deposit.
Am I able to contact my landlord and get a refund and remove myself from the contract and how does the process work? because this must happen all the time with students, I just know that I don't want to do it because I am so depressed and the lack of sleep and stress is beginning to affect my workload and attendance! :frown: Thankyou!
-Also how is a civil way to tell the other people without it causing an even bigger rift between us?
The "civil way" question is a really difficult one, only the most charming of people can manufacture a situation where they say they no longer want to live with someone else, purely because they do not consider it to be a good idea, and leave whatever fragment of friendship that remains in tact.

The first question is quite simple - it is definitely possible for you to do this, but it probably means not getting your deposit back (at the worst). You should definitely do it as soon as possible though, because they will have to find someone else to take your spot. Get in contact with the landlord, but on the same day, be prepared to speak to you "friends" about the change in circumstances - you only want them to hear it from you!

Back to the "bigger rift" issue - you may have to accept that not living with them will cause a bigger rift, but I think it's really good that you're making the decision to do this now, God only knows the rifts and arguments that you might have if you ACTUALLY go ahead with living with them (it's a catalyst for all sorts of ugly disagreements), so you will most likely be doing yourself a big favour by not living with them.

I would advise you to tell a softened version of the truth: "I don't think it's such a good idea for us to live together, our personality types might clash and I would rather remain good friends with you than have problems in our living situation next year" - don't let them reason you out of this, which they might try to do. Also you will have to deal and calmly absorb their reaction (anger, upset, aloofness etc) and just hope they will come around. Make sure you emphasise that you have not put them in a situation that would compromise their living situation and you intend to make sure that only you have to worry about filling the house or sorting all the legal stuff out, and definitely apologise about it.

Just be honest and act quickly and efficiently, and don't put them in any compromising situations, so they're not thinking "what about me" - I made this mistake once and I really really regret it. Still. Good luck!
Wow thankyou, that is really good advice.
I've got to get the number of the landlord off one of the girls but it should be okay, and I'll phone the landlord as soon as I get the number.
Even though I dislike halls, I think its best to be able to at least have the chance to walk out of my room and go anywhere than be trapped in a house with people I disagree with, and have no refuge to escape.

Thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending