Is 'lavatory' now a middle class word?

Watch
Poll: Is 'lavatory' a middle or upper class word?
Middle class. (5)
16.67%
Upper class. (25)
83.33%
El Salvador
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
It has always been said that the upper class says 'lavatory' whilst the middle and lower classes say 'toilet'.

All the books and papers I can find agree with this. But my boyfriend insists that based on his experience 'posh' and the working class say 'toilet' whilst the middle class says 'lavatory'.

I have no doubt that aspiring middle class would want to use 'lavatory' here and there, but I find it quite difficult to believe that the word has been abandoned by the upper class.

What's your view on this?
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I've never heard anyone say 'lavatory'. It's always the 'toilet' or the 'bathroom'.
the bear
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
I've never heard anyone say 'lavatory'. It's always the 'toilet' or the 'bathroom'.
noooooo

:creep:

i thought you were my class MM :cry2:

it's over
Bill_Gates
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Wash room
Maid Marian
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
noooooo

it's over
Sowwy bear
Aivicore
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I don't think I've heard anybody say "lavatory" seriously... My mother (distinctly working class) says it, half-jokingly.

Everyone else I've encountered just says "toilet", "loo" or "bathroom".
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I've heard plenty of working class people use it.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I have always called it the loo ever since I can remember.

Is that U or non U? I have no idea.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lavatory? How vile. One urinates in a water closet.
EarthlingyThingy
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I call it house of the rising floater.

What class does that make me???

Class-less? Literally? OHHHHHH YYYYYYYEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Gents, bathroom or ****ter, depending on who I'm with.
MidnightDream
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I've never said lavatory only toilet or bathroom
russellsteapot
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It's not a word I've really come across a great deal. It's one of those words which makes the user sound like they're trying incredibly hard, but it always sounds false.

I think it belongs to the self-conscious middle classes who spend half of their time trying to convince everyone else that they're middle class.
BeccaKloe
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I say toilet or I am going to pee if I am with my group of mates.
May sound rude to say going to pee. But we have done it for 4yrs now kind of a thing now for our group

Posted from TSR Mobile
El Salvador
(Original post by Maid Marian)
Which would show that it is upper.
El Salvador
(Original post by the bear)
noooooo

it's over
Well she is of the homo sapien not bears.
El Salvador
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Wash room
Well Bill you're American so of course.
El Salvador
(Original post by Aivicore)
I don't think I've heard anybody say "lavatory" seriously... My mother (distinctly working class) says it, half-jokingly.

Everyone else I've encountered just says "toilet", "loo" or "bathroom".
Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge uses 'lavatory'.
El Salvador
(Original post by alow)
I've heard plenty of working class people use it.
Which would be interesting because the working class and the upper class tend to use the same words.
El Salvador
(Original post by cole-slaw)
I have always called it the loo ever since I can remember.

Is that U or non U? I have no idea.
I think everybody uses 'loo'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.62%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.72%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.81%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.22%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (252)
48.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.44%

Watched Threads