The Student Room Group

Is 'lavatory' now a middle class word?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BeccaKloe
I say toilet or I am going to pee if I am with my group of mates.
May sound rude to say going to pee. But we have done it for 4yrs now kind of a thing now for our group

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read a book which said in recent years people are using more child-like words.
Bathroom, toilet, loo, lavatory, latrine, water closet...who ****ing cares?
Reply 22
Original post by clh_hilary
Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge uses 'lavatory'.

I like that, it's a very specific example. But so does Blackburn central library!

I think they're all more or less interchangeable these days. The only term I find unacceptable is "washroom" because it sounds stupid. :p:
Reply 23
Original post by Aivicore
I like that, it's a very specific example. But so does Blackburn central library!

I think they're all more or less interchangeable these days. The only term I find unacceptable is "washroom" because it sounds stupid. :p:

They are interchangeable, but as with many other words, they have their connotations.
Reply 24
Original post by TheGuy117
Bathroom, toilet, loo, lavatory, latrine, water closet...who ****ing cares?

Linguists. Anthropologists. English teachers. Parents. People who are curious and want to know more about the world.
Reply 25
I don't really talk about it at all. I just ask to be excused and then I ask where I can freshen up.
(edited 10 years ago)
The only people I've heard say "lavatory" are flight attendants.
Reply 27
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
The only people I've heard say "lavatory" are flight attendants.

Oh that too. They do say 'lavatory' on the doors as well.
I sometimes say lavatorium, kind of as a parody of people who'd say lavatory, although I can't remember the last time I heard it used seriously.
I always say toilet or washroom, never heard anyone say lavatory
Reply 30
Bathroom when you're trying to be polite. All manner of words when you don't have to be polite, such as pisser, drain the lizard, bog, curl one out, etc, etc.
Reply 31
It has always been said that the upper class says 'lavatory' whilst the middle and lower classes say 'toilet'.

All the books and papers I can find agree with this. But my boyfriend insists that based on his experience 'posh' and the working class say 'toilet' whilst the middle class says 'lavatory'.

I have no doubt that aspiring middle class would want to use 'lavatory' here and there, but I find it quite difficult to believe that the word has been abandoned by the upper class.

What's your view on this?
I've heard upper classes say 'toilet.' I normally say 'bog' or 'da lav' (people who've listened to Derek and Clive: Live will get that) or 'powder room.' Or 'yon pissery' when I'm being funny; or else 'water closet' when I'm in a formal situation - I used to be involved with some formal occasions.
Reply 32
Original post by Tootles
I've heard upper classes say 'toilet.' I normally say 'bog' or 'da lav' (people who've listened to Derek and Clive: Live will get that) or 'powder room.' Or 'yon pissery' when I'm being funny; or else 'water closet' when I'm in a formal situation - I used to be involved with some formal occasions.

Who are the 'upper classes' you speak of?
I prefer garderobe.
I've actually never heard anyone use the word 'lavatory'. 'Toilet', 'bathroom' and 'loo' are what I hear being used. But maybe it's because I'm a northerner, and we're all common up here. :tongue:
Reply 35
pisser
Sometimes I say 'lav'. I'm posh like that.
Reply 37
It has been my experience that the use of the word "lavatory" is extremely rare. Perhaps i move in the wrong circles? Of course the derivation and origin of the word itself has little or nothing to do with bodily function and more to do the the act of cleansing or washing. I think if i heard it used i would prick up my ears and cast an inquisitive eye over the speaker. It sounds very school headmistress'ish. Thats probably the last time i heard it!
Reply 38
Original post by Maid Marian
Sowwy bear :frown:

that's OK hun

just one little spanky poo and we will be fine

:spank:

maybe another just to be sure

:spank:

there
Reply 39
Who are the 'upper classes' you speak of?
The same upper classes to which the thread is referring.

Quick Reply

Latest