The Student Room Group

why are rich kids so selfish?

I have seen SO many threads started by rich kids complaining about how students from lower incomes are entitled to more money than they are 'just because' their parents earn above the threshold... They seem to think that because their parents apparantly 'can't' contribute to their University expenses, it means that the government should step up and make the contributions. Sorry but no.

On paper their parents could help them financially through their time at University, it is not the Governments job to do so when their parents could help them. It is fair enough to feel a bit annoyed that you will need to get a part time job to help fund your days at Uni, but the thing is, many many students have to get a part time job, its not uncommon.

The things that annoys me the most is that these kids then ATTACK the working class by saying that they are going to Uni for the wrong reasons ie: for free money they won't pay back, and that they are 'undeserving'. Without those loands and grants, we would not be able to even dream of attending University, my mum would not be able to fund my time at Uni as she in a single parent working class on a very very low income, that is why we get loans. But why is it that certain people who's parents earn above the threshhold believe they are more entitled to money than people like me?
Kids with rich parents won't give a toss how much they get in Student Finance, most would have mummy and daddy giving them more than enough to survive most probably on amounts that are beyond the usual £9000 per annum one could get. Many would most likely have a trust fund giving them more than enough to do whatever they want.

Those who do attack most likely come from borderlines or those who are just at the threshold.
Original post by Alfissti
Kids with rich parents won't give a toss how much they get in Student Finance, most would have mummy and daddy giving them more than enough to survive most probably on amounts that are beyond the usual £9000 per annum one could get. Many would most likely have a trust fund giving them more than enough to do whatever they want.

Those who do attack most likely come from borderlines or those who are just at the threshold.

This
Original post by Jennywbu
I have seen SO many threads started by rich kids complaining about how students from lower incomes are entitled to more money than they are 'just because' their parents earn above the threshold... They seem to think that because their parents apparantly 'can't' contribute to their University expenses, it means that the government should step up and make the contributions. Sorry but no.

On paper their parents could help them financially through their time at University, it is not the Governments job to do so when their parents could help them. It is fair enough to feel a bit annoyed that you will need to get a part time job to help fund your days at Uni, but the thing is, many many students have to get a part time job, its not uncommon.

The things that annoys me the most is that these kids then ATTACK the working class by saying that they are going to Uni for the wrong reasons ie: for free money they won't pay back, and that they are 'undeserving'. Without those loands and grants, we would not be able to even dream of attending University, my mum would not be able to fund my time at Uni as she in a single parent working class on a very very low income, that is why we get loans. But why is it that certain people who's parents earn above the threshhold believe they are more entitled to money than people like me?

Here's another perspective - my father earns a very high salary. But we also have extremely high expenses - and these are necessities, not luxuries.

But as a result of the household income, I've been denied financing after my university transfer, and so I'm trying to hold down several jobs at the same time to fund my course, but I'm steadily building up debt.

Financing and grants don't always work the way they're meant to.

Quick Reply

Latest