Where to choose? Sussex, Essex, Hull or Derby?

Watch
womell
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey,

I've received offers for straight law from Sussex and Essex & law + criminology from Hull and Derby.

I was just wondering what your opinions were of these uni's and where i will receive the best outcome?

I am unable to visit the uni's as i'm overseas and won't be back in the UK by the UCAS deadline.

Thanks for your help
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by womell)
Hey,

I've received offers for straight law from Sussex and Essex & law + criminology from Hull and Derby.

I was just wondering what your opinions were of these uni's and where i will receive the best outcome?

I am unable to visit the uni's as i'm overseas and won't be back in the UK by the UCAS deadline.

Thanks for your help
Do you want to study criminology?

If not, then Sussex. If you do, then Hull.
womell
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Do you want to study criminology?

If not, then Sussex. If you do, then Hull.
Thankyou for the reply. I am interested in criminology, but i am happy to compromise. Meaning that if I can go to a better uni that doesn't offer criminology then I am happy to do that.

What made you recommend Sussex and Hull over the other two universities?
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thankyou for the reply. I am interested in criminology, but i am happy to compromise. Meaning that if I can go to a better uni that doesn't offer criminology then I am happy to do that.

What made you recommend Sussex and Hull over the other two universities?
Hull has always been a very good law school (in fact it is all-round a very good university) in an unfashionable place. Derby is a new university. Although it punches above its weight in law, its weight is pretty light. It does no research to speak of and it has no strong academics.

The difference between Sussex and Essex is much closer. Sussex is the university that might have been. If you look at how Warwick and York are regarded on TSR, 30 years ago that was Sussex. It was going to be the modern Oxbridge and it never quite happened. Essex is incredibly strong, world class, in politics and barely visible in anything else. Certainly Sussex's law school seems to have more about it than Essex.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you look at how Warwick and York are regarded on TSR, 30 years ago that was Sussex.
Even that's 5 years old now. It's Warwick and Bath, or even Warwick and Exeter. That York won't realise the promise once claimed for it, or anyway not in terms of securing the perception, seems near as certain as that Sussex never will.
womell
Rep:
?
Hull has always been a very good law school (in fact it is all-round a very good university) in an unfashionable place. Derby is a new university. Although it punches above its weight in law, its weight is pretty light. It does no research to speak of and it has no strong academics.

The difference between Sussex and Essex is much closer. Sussex is the university that might have been. If you look at how Warwick and York are regarded on TSR, 30 years ago that was Sussex. It was going to be the modern Oxbridge and it never quite happened. Essex is incredibly strong, world class, in politics and barely visible in anything else. Certainly Sussex's law school seems to have more about it than Essex.
Thankyou for this information, it is very useful.

So out of Sussex and Hull, which would you say has the better law school?
womell
Rep:
?
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thankyou for this information, it is very useful.

So out of Sussex and Hull, which would you say has the better law school?
I would favour Sussex but I think that is because I would rather spend three years in Brighton than three years in Hull.
melissarose19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't comment on which university is better as I have not studied at Hull university - but Brighton University is one of the best locations for studying. The good vibes, great staff and friendly people I don't think can be found anywhere else. I have only heard great things about the Law with Business and Law with Crim courses - I am going to be a first year in September on Law with Business myself.
jl4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I go to Sussex and it is amazing. The law school is expanding and I really think everything is on the up. Besides that, I find Sussex Law Society very helpful; just go to their events and you will be fine!
EmiliaG24120911
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got an offer from Sussex and Essex tbh Sussex jeep going down in the tables and I've seen that now Essex is only 1 below Edinburgh where I've also applied. Personally given that Essex offered me BBB but CCC as firm I'm more likely to go there as Sussex's AAB seems unreasonable given their decline, although Sussex for politics has good connections
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.21%
I'm not sure (59)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (375)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (622)
48.82%

Watched Threads