The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Applied Medical Sciences 9n53

I've not found so much on this course as it is new. Made this forum for everyone who have got in or who are applying. I was accepted yesterday and i cannot wait to meet others on the course.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by thedefender
I've not found so much on this course as it is new. Made this forum for everyone who have got in or who are applying. I was accepted yesterday and i cannot wait to meet others on the course.

Hey there :smile: Just heard about this new course at UCL recently (too bad I hadn't seen it sooner!!!). It really seems interesting, especially since Year 1 covers topics taught in the first year of medicine. I called their admission office today to get more information about this course and they told me students will be taught at the same level as a MBBS degree (so it means that this new course is very challenging). They also told me they were still accepting applications... :smile: I've got an offer from Imperial for Biomedical Science so I don't know if I would take the risk to go through Extra to apply at UCL, although the course is very appealing!!!! I'm also starting thinking that having a Biomedical Science degree is too "generic" for graduate entry into medicine. :/ Oh, I don't know what to do... this is like the opportunity of a lifetime!
(edited 10 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Jenn.
Hey there :smile: Just heard about this new course at UCL recently (too bad I hadn't seen it sooner!!!). It really seems interesting, especially since Year 1 covers topics taught in the first year of medicine. I called their admission office today to get more information about this course and they told me students will be taught at the same level as a MBBS degree (so it means that this new course is very challenging). They also told me they were still accepting applications... :smile: I've got an offer from Imperial for Biomedical Science so I don't know if I would take the risk to go through Extra to apply at UCL, although the course is very appealing!!!! I'm also starting thinking that having a Biomedical Science degree is too "generic" for graduate entry into medicine. :/ Oh, I don't know what to do... this is like the opportunity of a lifetime!

I personnaly wouldn't take the risk... And you won't be doing any Biomedical Science course, Imperial is a really good university !!
Hey! I also got accepted into this course, seems really interesting. I also like how we are taught in tutorials, but apparently their intake for this years is only approximately 40. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicine/education/undergraduate/appliedmedicalsciences <---has detailed info on all the modules being taught too.

I'm still deciding between this and biochemistry (also at UCL) for my first choice. I think i'm leaning towards this course though..seems good.
Reply 4
Original post by FuzzyPanda101
Hey! I also got accepted into this course, seems really interesting. I also like how we are taught in tutorials, but apparently their intake for this years is only approximately 40. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicine/education/undergraduate/appliedmedicalsciences <---has detailed info on all the modules being taught too.

I'm still deciding between this and biochemistry (also at UCL) for my first choice. I think i'm leaning towards this course though..seems good.

Congrats on your offer! :smile:

Yeah, the course seems really interesting and challenging. The only drawback is that it is not an Honours degree! :sad: (I would have been in a big disadvantage for Graduate Medicine as most unis require a 2:1, with the exception of a very few ones requiring a 1st.)

Good luck with the course if you decide to firm it. I know you will enjoy it!

x

You might be right... It'd be wise to stay with Imperial. Plus, the wait for decisions will just add more stress and all with the revision for my exams. So, thanks! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jenn.

Yeah, the course seems really interesting and challenging. The only drawback is that it is not an Honours degree! :sad: (I would have been in a big disadvantage for Graduate Medicine as most unis require a 2:1, with the exception of a very few ones requiring a 1st.)

Thanks and good luck to you too in Imperial! :smile:

Hmm..I haven't completely lost the idea of graduate medicine..so can you explain to me what an honours degree is? And how do you know if the Applied Medical Science isn't a honours course? It would be helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by FuzzyPanda101
Thanks and good luck to you too in Imperial! :smile:

Hmm..I haven't completely lost the idea of graduate medicine..so can you explain to me what an honours degree is? And how do you know if the Applied Medical Science isn't a honours course? It would be helpful.

Thank you very much. :smile: I can't wait to go to Imperial.

Glad to know you are also thinking of doing medicine afterwards! I feel less alone. :biggrin:

I'd have LOVED to go to UCL (Really!! This course is so appealing!!! :tongue:) but I don't know what my chances of getting into Graduate Medicine/ or the 5/6-year Medicine course will be with an ordinary degree. :/ I don't know how things works for postgraduate studies, I've just heard that most universities were asking for a 2:1 upper second class honour and a sound knowledge of cells functions, cell interactions etc. That's why a great number of people go for a Biomedical Science degree, I guess? :dontknow: BUT I've seen some people doing medical science and being accepted into medicine as the course content was satisfying too!

In an ordinary degree, you just pass or fail. Whereas in an honours degree, you get awarded a certain grade, if I can call it like that. If you get above 70%, it's a 1st class, between 60-69% it's a 2.i, between 50-59% it's a 2.ii and below 50% it's a 3rd class. It enables employers to compare you with other candidates.

Generally, you know if a degree is an Honours degree when it's written "Hons" beside its name: the 4-year Applied Medical Sciences course at UCL is an Honours degree, but not the 3-year course. :smile:
UCL.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
So does that mean if I do the 3 year bachelor degree I won't be able to apply for medicine??
Reply 8
Original post by Ambar
So does that mean if I do the 3 year bachelor degree I won't be able to apply for medicine??

No. :smile: I think it just means that it will be hard for universities to compare your application with other applicants since your degree won't be an Honours degree (there'll be no way for them to see where you stand academically, apart from your past A-level grades.)

I think that GAMSAT universities don't require a 2:1 upper class honour. I'm not sure, though. You will have to check or ask someone who's more knowledgeable than me in that field. :smile:

OR you could still take a gap year and re-apply for medicine next year. :biggrin: I genuinely do think it'd be the best option for you.

(I personally don't want to do this because as an EU student, I'd like first and foremost to become fluent in English by studying another science subject at uni. As well as being an international language, English is a very beautiful language, and I feel like I must speak it fluently. I also know that I can return to my hometown to do medicine if ever things don't work out in the UK).
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank goodness I'm not the only one thinking of it. I just saw it as i was browsing through the biomedical course modules(which seemed a little boring to me) and i was just blown away. It looks sooooooo amazing i hope enough people apply and the course is able to take it off. Do you guys reckon i will be able to swap my biomed offer for this one?? Also why will getting into med be harder after this cos i sure as hell still want to do med? OP, was it conditional or unconditional? and are you thinking of doing med later?
Reply 10
Original post by Jenn.

You might be right... It'd be wise to stay with Imperial. Plus, the wait for decisions will just add more stress and all with the revision for my exams. So, thanks! :smile:

Hey! So I firmed this course and am very excited but a bit nervous because of how it is a very new course. But are you saying its not an honours degree because of what it says on UCAS? Because I read that and then called UCL and they told me that it is just a typo of UCAS and it is actually an honours degree, and they have been trying to get UCAS to change it for a while now. You might wanna double check though :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by SM74
Hey! So I firmed this course and am very excited but a bit nervous because of how it is a very new course. But are you saying its not an honours degree because of what it says on UCAS? Because I read that and then called UCL and they told me that it is just a typo of UCAS and it is actually an honours degree, and they have been trying to get UCAS to change it for a while now. You might wanna double check though :smile:

I should've called UCL again... Guess it's a bit late to apply now (I've already firmed Imperial and am about to apply for accommodation and student finance very soon!). I knew the course was too challenging to not be an Honours degree!! :smile: I'm sure you'll love the course! It seems very interesting, especially the topics covered in Year 1 + the integrated one-month work experience in Year 3 (I know the curriculum by heart :wink:). Good luck with it!
(edited 10 years ago)
the 4-year Applied Medical Sciences course at UCL is an Honours degree, but not the 3-year course. :smile:
UCL.png
I contacted the university personally and they said as far as they were concerned, both were honours degrees.....
Reply 13
Original post by mayamiller
the 4-year Applied Medical Sciences course at UCL is an Honours degree, but not the 3-year course. :smile:
UCL.png
I contacted the university personally and they said as far as they were concerned, both were honours degrees.....

Yeah, I know now. :smile: The information on UCAS is just misleading... :s-smilie: They need to update it so that other applicants see it!
(edited 10 years ago)
Did anyone here get accepted??
Reply 15
Anyone applying for this course for september 2015?
hi guys , is anyone knows the differences between biomedical science and applied medical science ? and can you tell me more about applied medical science please ?
Original post by thedefender

Ive just got an offer from UCL for this course I'm so excited, I just don't know what really to expect!
Original post by AishaR
Anyone applying for this course for september 2015?

I and! And I just got an offer!
Reply 19
Original post by RhiannonRose
I and! And I just got an offer!

Congratulations! :smile:, you sent of your UCAS application early, did you attend the open day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending