Texts and Genres-Elements of the Gothic Watch

scjman
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello. This is a forum set up for all those doing Elements of the Gothic. Feel free to discuss any of the texts, though just so you know, I am doing Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber and Dr Faustus, so if you have any questions about these texts, I will do my best to answer
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did Frankenstein, Dr Faustus and Dracula, was fab.
scjman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Add!ction)
I did Frankenstein, Dr Faustus and Dracula, was fab.
Although I didn't study Dracula as part of the course, I did write my wider reading coursework on it (specifically looking at how a feminist might view the way in which women were portrayed)
scjman
Rep:
?
Nobody needs any help with this?
pierreboobvier
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Desperately need help! Just CANNOT get this grade to go past a high C, and it's doing my head in.

Studying Macbeth, Frankenstein ( ) and The Bloody Chamber. Exam technique is the woe, here.
scjman
Rep:
?
(Original post by pierreboobvier)
Desperately need help! Just CANNOT get this grade to go past a high C, and it's doing my head in.

Studying Macbeth, Frankenstein ( ) and The Bloody Chamber. Exam technique is the woe, here.
Well i always structure my essays as Introduction, Argument For, Argument Against and then Conclusion. Any particular things I can help with on Frankenstein and/or The Bloody Chamber (maybe even Macbeth, as I did that at GCSE)? Also, try and remember some quotations, try to point out anything to do with how the language helps tell the story and think about context (what social ideas influenced the text and how the text was received at the time in which it was written)
pierreboobvier
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scjman)
Well i always structure my essays as Introduction, Argument For, Argument Against and then Conclusion. Any particular things I can help with on Frankenstein and/or The Bloody Chamber (maybe even Macbeth, as I did that at GCSE)? Also, try and remember some quotations, try to point out anything to do with how the language helps tell the story and think about context (what social ideas influenced the text and how the text was received at the time in which it was written)
The quotations I'm pretty stellar with, particularly in regards to The Bloody Chamber and Macbeth. Frankenstein is taking a bit longer, which I put down to my utter hatred of the book. But yes, it's all the other parts I'm struggling with.
I mean, language, symbolism and metaphor is great. But the structure of the text - particularly in Frankenstein is where I seem to be slipping up. I assume referring to Macbeth and structure, you'd talk about staging?
scjman
Rep:
?
(Original post by pierreboobvier)
The quotations I'm pretty stellar with, particularly in regards to The Bloody Chamber and Macbeth. Frankenstein is taking a bit longer, which I put down to my utter hatred of the book. But yes, it's all the other parts I'm struggling with.
I mean, language, symbolism and metaphor is great. But the structure of the text - particularly in Frankenstein is where I seem to be slipping up. I assume referring to Macbeth and structure, you'd talk about staging?
Possibly. I have to say I don't feel I'm very good at the language side of things. Do you need help with themes, context, gothic concepts etc.?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.06%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.43%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
18.98%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (51)
15.36%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
12.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.12%

Watched Threads