The Student Room Group

Squats

I see guys posting all the time that girls should squat to get a nice bum.. But what does that entail really? As in... How many? Should I just do them all in one go? How often etc... And does it really make a difference?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also... Should I use weight and how much?
Reply 2
You shouldn't squat only to get a nice bum. You should squat because it's a briliiant exercise that builds strength, explosivity, stability and good posture. A "nice bum" is a side-effect.

You should start with the empty bar (normally 20kg, but you can find lighter fixed-weight barbells). You should work up from there.

For tips on technique and learning to squat see the FAQ thread.
i do 50 squats a day just because i feel like i should do something as i spend most of my life revising etc - i have one of those bodies where as soon as you start doing something , you see a difference in about a week , and i have noticed my bum is rounder (bubble butt :} ) but for the majority of my friends i don't think they see much difference

i also do a minute plank and various other exercises like sit ups or cycling crunches (probably not the technical name but i can't remember what they're called)

basically , my boyfriend approves :P
Original post by hotliketea
i do 50 squats a day just because i feel like i should do something as i spend most of my life revising etc - i have one of those bodies where as soon as you start doing something , you see a difference in about a week , and i have noticed my bum is rounder (bubble butt :} ) but for the majority of my friends i don't think they see much difference

i also do a minute plank and various other exercises like sit ups or cycling crunches (probably not the technical name but i can't remember what they're called)

basically , my boyfriend approves :P

50 squats a day with no weight will make absolutely no difference. Especially within a week.
Reply 5
Squat till you drop.....

Like Piggsil suggested, you should start with just the bar and then work your way up from there. There's plenty of workouts on google you can try. Good luck !! :tongue:
Yeah I would suggest weighted squats. Start off light and then work your way up when you have mastered the form. Try doing them in sets instead of all at once. :smile:
Reply 7
I'm always hesitant about doing squats because of the strain on the knees - I do a couple now and then.
Reply 8
Original post by fionnnaaa
I'm always hesitant about doing squats because of the strain on the knees - I do a couple now and then.

Strain on the knees occurs due to bad form - bad leverages while you do it in the short term and flexor/extensor imbalace in the long term (plus cartilage wear and other things, which you probably won't get).

But when you do them properly, with lots of weight, they strengthen the knee.

The moral of the story is... do more and learn your form.
Original post by macromicro
Your bum will be exactly the same as it was a week ago. It's impossible to build noticeable muscle in a week (naturally) and I doubt you are adding weight to your squats and eating a high protein diet. Either there has been no change or it's an increase in fat not muscle.

If you want to build a muscular bum then you will have to put on weight across your whole body - most girls want to lose weight and do cardio, hence nice bums will usually just be a genetic gift.

#rekt
50 body weight squats a day, no thx jeff.
Glutes = muscle. To see growth you will need to use weights on that particular muscle, put it under tension and increase the weight as you increase in strength.
4 sets 6 - 10 reps should do. Glute bridges are also good.

Note don't neglect other muscles when training for strength/size. Muscle imbalances sucks.
Reply 11
Is there much benefit to doing 100 squats with no weights?
Original post by raaachek
Is there much benefit to doing 100 squats with no weights?

Improve form before jumping onto weights.

Reply 13
What do I use if I have no weights?!?!
Original post by Throwaway221
Also... Should I use weight and how much?

As much as you can handle whilst holding good form. 4 sets 6-10 reps.
Remember, weights - tension - muscle micro tear - sleep - replenish [caloric surplus, bulk] - growth - repeat. Don't brake the chain by lifting like a girl :colone:, if you're lifting 40kg and you know you can do the same with 60kg, then use 60kg.
Original post by Reeeeyah
What do I use if I have no weights?!?!

Calisthenics is the next best thing.
Reply 16
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD

That is so mesmerising.

On topic: I do squats and bridges every day. I don't use weights, mainly because I don't have any. I do 50 squats, 50 full bridges and 50 short/quick bridges. You can add lunges
to go all the way. You can have a look at thirty day fitness challenges to get you started. They have a squat challenge I think.
Reply 17
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD

So until I start using weights, am I reaping any benefits from 100 squats?

Yes, as you are lifting your body-weight.
In my Army basic training, we did only bodyweight exercises and I among others gained muscle weight and strength. Calisthenics are used mainly to improve muscular endurance while weights are used for brute strength.

It can be a good form of cardio. Your endurance will improve, and also strength when you increase the exercise difficulty.

As I said before Calisthenics is pretty decent. There are variations of exercise you could use for each muscle group. But such a form of workout can't replace weights when you seek to increase mass, so I would advice you to join a gym.

Introduction to calisthenics.

A good way of increasing tension on your legs/glutes without using weights, would be to increase the difficulty of squatting. For example in Calisthenics, the single leg squat is used by many.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest