The Student Room Group

The 'triple' equals

No doubt it has a proper name but the equals (=) with 3 lines instead of 2 is what I am curious about. What does it mean? and when do I use it? :confused:
Reply 1
It's an identity symbol, and means that both sides of the equation are always true. For example a/2 = 0.5 x a, and this is true for any possible value of a.

Hope this helps :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Substitution
No doubt it has a proper name but the equals (=) with 3 lines instead of 2 is what I am curious about. What does it mean? and when do I use it? :confused:

Congruent to.

Or identical to for ALL values.

Eg: Sin^2(x) + Cos^2(x) = 1 for ALL values of x.
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17
Congruent to.

Or identical to for ALL values.

Eg: Sin^2(x) + Cos^2(x) = 1 for ALL values of x.

When simplifying eqns would I be able to use it? e.g. (2/x)-(1/x)==(1/x)?
As others have said it's the identity symbol

e.g.

1 + 1 = 2

a + b b + a (where a and b are real numbers)

Yes, if you are algebraically rearranging you can, but this 'identity' would not be true for x=0 so you cannot use it here.

I believe it's known as the equivalence symbol (at least in LaTeX) and the congruence symbol when referring to shapes.

You normally use the implies sign     \implies or the regular equals sign when rearranging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

I suppose so, but you wouldn't really do that. It's best just to stick to a normal equals sign.

It's like how people write "don't" instead of "do not" - you could write it either way, but one way is more common.

Edit: As someone says above, it's not true for x=0. I thought there was a value it didn't work at, but I couldn't put my finger on it! (It's been a long 3 month term...)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7

It's also used in modular arithmetic, by the way, although IIRC it's not covered at A-level.
Reply 8
Triple equals denotes identity, i.e., that two sides of the operand are not only equal, but their meaning is identical. As noted in the post above me, it's used in modular arithmetic, e.g. 0 5 mod 5, since 5 mod 5 is identical to 0. In programming languages it also indicates identity where equality can be ambiguous. For example, in PHP, 0 == false. However, it is not the case that 0 === false, because although they are considered to be equal, their data types are not the same and thusly are not identical.
Reply 9

I've seen it used as 'is defined as'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by natninja
I've seen it used as 'is defined as'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where have you seen this?

I've seen colon-equals (:=) used for 'defined as', but never the 3-line identity symbol.
Reply 11
Original post by davros

I've seen colon-equals (:=) used for 'defined as', but never the 3-line identity symbol.

All my lecturers use it as 'defined as' but then again, I do physics and we define the inner product slightly differently as well...
Reply 12
Original post by davros

I've seen both - I much prefer the := but I've seen def\stackrel{\text{def}}{\equiv} or =def\stackrel{\text{def}}{=} or just plain \equiv too.

Quick Reply

Latest