Confused Over Extraction Of Metals Chapter? (unit 2 AQA)

Watch
Emperor Sheev
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello everybody. I need help on this chapter as it really seems to be bugging me. I understand the content and its easy if i am honest. BUT it seems like an overwhelming number of reactions to remember, so i was wandering how much of this chapter do you actually need to know and remember for the exam? and also what is the best way to remember chemistry reactions?

Again this is for AQA AS Unit 2 Chemistry: Extraction of metals chapter.

Thank you all in advance
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You dont need to really remember balanced equations, if you can spot how to balance them quite easily then all you will have to do is learn the unbalanced equation then balance in the exam. Once you do past papers and keep balancing them, then they will eventually become second nature. It comes with practice as with everything else. This chapter isnt too theory heavy, a lot of the questions can be explained by the equations, excluding common sense questions such as - evolution of CO2 leads to global warming, SO2 leads to acid rain, electrolysis expensive due to high energy demand etc.

In short, remember the unbalanced equations then balance in the exam.
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Protoxylic)
You dont need to really remember balanced equations, if you can spot how to balance them quite easily then all you will have to do is learn the unbalanced equation then balance in the exam. Once you do past papers and keep balancing them, then they will eventually become second nature. It comes with practice as with everything else. This chapter isnt too theory heavy, a lot of the questions can be explained by the equations, excluding common sense questions such as - evolution of CO2 leads to global warming, SO2 leads to acid rain, electrolysis expensive due to high energy demand etc.

In short, remember the unbalanced equations then balance in the exam.
Thank you for your reply. So i am guessing your just saying that remember an equation like: TiCl4 + 4Na --------} Ti + 4NaCl as TiCl + Na ---------} Ti + NaCl and in the exam i will be able to figure out the correct balanced equation from the values we are given?
YahyaFTW
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jatyization)
Thank you for your reply. So i am guessing your just saying that remember an equation like: TiCl4 + 4Na --------} Ti + 4NaCl as TiCl + Na ---------} Ti + NaCl and in the exam i will be able to figure out the correct balanced equation from the values we are given?

Yup that's what hes saying.
Chris654
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If im honest I think its much easier to memorize what is actually happening in the equations than to just remember them, like Titanium(IV) Chloride is reacted with sodium to produce just Titanium, then you can figure it out what you're left with and balance it like the above posters said
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chris654)
If im honest I think its much easier to memorize what is actually happening in the equations than to just remember them, like Titanium(IV) Chloride is reacted with sodium to produce just Titanium, then you can figure it out what you're left with and balance it like the above posters said
Okay thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (15)
14.85%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.92%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.94%
I need help with my personal statement (40)
39.6%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
24.75%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.98%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (5)
4.95%

Watched Threads