The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

SUNDERLAND UNIVERSITY: aka waste of time and effort.

I wish someone had given me this advice when choosing universities.
I saw bad reviews about Sunderland university and the lecturers but discarded them as Sunderland was the closest studying university. I studied History and I can honestly say it was the worst experience of my life. Incompetent lecturers. I wasted a year of my life. Luckily I was given an unconditional offer from Newcastle University so I have a second chance... But for those debating between Sunderland and another Uni...go to the other Uni I implore you.
I started there last year. It was absolutely abhorrent, avoid at all costs.
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Reply 2
Why on earth would you choose to go to Sunderland over Newcastle???
Reply 3
I think it varies from course to course. I study Engineering at Sunderland and it's been a great experience. The course is accredited by the Institute of Engineering and Technology and the class sizes are small enough that you can easily ask questions in lectures and get the support that you need.

In contrast one of my flatmates studied tourism and felt they would have been better off at another uni so it's not right for everyone.

I think when you start applying no one really explains the importance of doing research and visiting universities. For me, it's been a bit of a gamble that paid off, I'm sorry you've had to suffer a year before getting where you need to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ive had both good and bad experiences, the main reasons I went was I only had a merit in English which was not good enough to get an English place at Newcastle. Also it is one of the few if not only universities where you can do a combined subjects degree in English language and linguistics with TESOL.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
OMG guys I feel you so much !!!! Sunderland really is a waste of money and time! Not to mention that all the people who go there are party animals and you can't even have a decent group work without doing the whole work by yourself for them !!! As one of you mentioned that people were disatissfied by Tourism studies, they are right !!! I can talk so much about this **** uni, really don't go there. Drop me a private message if you want info from first hand I would be glad to answer and discourage you from going there.
I think it depends on whether it is graduate or postgraduate study. Imagine doing a research placement where you have to analyse data, create databases and conduct literature reviews. Yet your other friend reads two journals - literally! When it comes to marks guess who gets the highest grade? Oh yes, the person who read two journals.

The argument was that I had not met one of the learning criteria as well as the others. The assessment was a portfolio which included a poster, a reflection and a diary. I knew I was in trouble from the start because I had done all this work that I had submitted to my lecturer that was not getting marked. The comments were that my work was not reflected in the portfolio, well of course it wasn't. I felt like it was such a waste of time and an embarrassment.

Then we had a poster presentation. I put what I had found from the work I had done (i.e. lit review, data analysis). Then I found out I had done it wrong. Turns out that I should have put how I did everything (i.e. the process) as well. I changed it before submitting but the feedback given was exactly the same as at the presentation. I do agree with some of the feedback, however, the instructions should have been made more clear. I had mentioned this in a student representative meeting but again was too much hassle.

I found out a position opened up for a research assistant at the University. I did not apply as I thought it was morally corrupt to pay people for a job that I did for free as part of a course. Especially when you put in all the hard work and the supervisor benefits, not you. Oh and after all that you don't even get a reference because it is too much hassle on their part. P.s. this is specific to a module and the lecturers responsible, not everyone as some lecturers really go out of their way to help you.
Reply 7
Okay Ive changed my mind due to recent experiences, my new advice would be to avoid this University at all costs.
Original post by Davman
Okay Ive changed my mind due to recent experiences, my new advice would be to avoid this University at all costs.

what happened?
Its not bad for computing etc. Great lecturers, people should say why they dont like it.
Please be very careful. I would question the validity of every single grade classification from Sunderland . My young relative used me as a support mechanism- I'm a old school professional- after getting little support for his final paper (note not a dissertation but a short 6,000 word academic paper). His work was not only flawed but filled with words pasted from research with obvious changes in sentence competentce/ability throughout. As incoherently self-produced parts of sentences lead to paragraphs making not only no sense but grammatically poor diction, it made for very uncomfortable reading for me. This lead to it reading like a very confused piece of 'work' for any reader as clarity and purpose was lost.THIS YOUNG PERSON HAS A FIRST IN BUISINESS BUT CANNOT HOLD A CONVERSATION AND CLEARLY SUNDERLAND UNI ARE GETTING AWAY WITH DREADFUL QUALITY OVERSIGHTS or indeed shocking practices.
Choosing Masters of Science in Engineering Management in University of Sunderland was biggest mistake of my life. I regret joining it. Now I have guilty feelings because of them. I am going through depression because of them too. I wish I could turn the time and improve my mistake. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending