Recovering from major nutritional deficiencies growing up - What to do? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What should I do?
Are there any extensive therapies to recover vitamin levels that were missing
during my formative years. Nobody really advised me on nutrition and I started
caring recently when I became worried with my energy levels.
I am 20 (so not too old) and really want to still reach my 'genetic potential'.

Going to the gym every 2 days, swimming at times daily and cycling everywhere.
I just don't feel that it is enough though and there is something more
that I could be doing. Maybe high dose supplementation, certain exercises and other therapies?

I am a vegetarian/vegan so this is why I am more concerned.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm pretty sure vitamins aren't the kind of thing that remain in your system for your whole life. If you're getting enough vitamins in your diet *now*, that's all you can do. Do you actually have any symptoms that are worrying you which you think are due to nutritional deficiencies?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Watch Key Phone)
I'm pretty sure vitamins aren't the kind of thing that remain in your system for your whole life. If you're getting enough vitamins in your diet *now*, that's all you can do. Do you actually have any symptoms that are worrying you which you think are due to nutritional deficiencies?
I understand that, it's just that I am worried about the growth spurts that I may have missed on due to these nutritional deficiencies. I am just wondering if I can take something right now (I am 20, so approaching the final stage of growth) that can help me to reach my genetic growth potential. This is really important for me to fix right now.
Watch Key Phone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Genetic potential' doesn't really make sense. Your height/health/weight/etc are all a product of the combination of your genes and your environment. Your genes aren't going to change, and the environment you've had in the past isn't going to change. All that can change is your environment (nutrition, healthcare, lifestyle) from now onwards. So if you try to get those things right now, you will be as healthy as you can be taking into account the now unchangeable factors.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Watch Key Phone)
'Genetic potential' doesn't really make sense. Your height/health/weight/etc are all a product of the combination of your genes and your environment. Your genes aren't going to change, and the environment you've had in the past isn't going to change. All that can change is your environment (nutrition, healthcare, lifestyle) from now onwards. So if you try to get those things right now, you will be as healthy as you can be taking into account the now unchangeable factors.
Are there any nutritional and lifestyle changes that I can make to 'reverse' or heal as much as possible what has happened in the past?
Watch Key Phone
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Are there any nutritional and lifestyle changes that I can make to 'reverse' or heal as much as possible what has happened in the past?
As far as I'm aware, there's nothing specific that would be different to generally having a healthy lifestyle (regardless of your past). Aim to stay at a healthy weight, eat a good variety of nutritional foods, get decent exercise. It sounds like it's all things you're doing already, anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads