The Student Room Group

Feminists and their obsession with female body hair

Can someone explain to me why feminists are so desperate to fight for a woman's right to be unshaven? They want it to be socially acceptable for women to walk around with unshaven legs and armpits, because "it's natural".

Why don't I see them fighting for a woman's (or anyone's) right to walk around with fingernails that haven't been trimmed? After all, it's natural that they grow freely, right? Or how about the right for people to be unwashed? After all, sweat is natural, right?

Why are feminists so determined for women to keep their body hair? Why?

Scroll to see replies

They don't need to be campaigning for the right to be unwashed. Jeremy Kyle supports the unwashed.
maybe some people just don't want to shave and don't give a **** what you think about it...

It's not unhygienic in any way, so I don't know why you'd compare it to things that are.
Reply 3
Because the patriarchy has decided that women are more attractive when they don't look like Bigfoot. They don't like men to dictate to them what the female beauty standards should be. Same issue as the fat shaming, pretty much. Men have been socially conditioned to dislike fat, hairy women.
I'm pretty sure not all feminists are vehemently campaigning for women to stay unshaven. It's a personal choice, anyway. Why should anyone care?
Reply 5
Radical feminists don't argue about relevant issues anymore :/ there are plenty of cases of women around the world that are actually being oppressed, but they are ignored in favour for petty issues like this.

If someone asked me if I was a feminist, I would say 'yes (a very liberal one)' but I still shave. Partly because when I go swimming I don't want to look down and see what appears to be a taranchula crawling out of my bikini.
Original post by snowyowl
Can someone explain to me why feminists are so desperate to fight for a woman's right to be unshaven? They want it to be socially acceptable for women to walk around with unshaven legs and armpits, because "it's natural".

Why don't I see them fighting for a woman's (or anyone's) right to walk around with fingernails that haven't been trimmed? After all, it's natural that they grow freely, right? Or how about the right for people to be unwashed? After all, sweat is natural, right?

May you first provide some sort of evidence that feminists hold these views?
Maybe they just can't be bothered to shave? People already go around with long fingernails, and it's not the same as not washing.
Reply 8
They're lazy and they don't want to groom themselves so they want to make it acceptable to be a hairy mess.
Reply 9
Original post by snowyowl

Seriously , body hair on women is gross.

I guess because males don't have to remove their body hair and they want things to be equal.
It's the idea that women have to standardise themselves to the way society views them, and for some women, they feel pressurised to shave when they don't want to because body hair on women is seen as 'disgusting'. Honestly, it's a personal choice, and it isn't a big deal, really. There's certainly bigger issues to deal with, so I think we should just agree that sometimes women don't shave and that's okay.
Never heard anyone fighting for this before.

Don't generalise. I'm a feminist and personally hate body hair.
Reply 13
Most extreme feminists look like Justin Bieber with a hangover and twenty extra Y chromasones.
it's to do with gender, and the way those norms are intended to polarise the differences (both real and imagined) that exist between men and women. women's bodyhair is no more disgusting than mens, and whilst i agree that there are more important things to worry about the time and money women spend trying to conform to standards of beauty laid down by patriarchal society has a very real impact on both their financial and social status
Reply 15
Original post by AmyAintDead
It's the idea that women have to standardise themselves to the way society views them, and for some women, they feel pressurised to shave when they don't want to because body hair on women is seen as 'disgusting'. Honestly, it's a personal choice, and it isn't a big deal, really. There's certainly bigger issues to deal with, so I think we should just agree that sometimes women don't shave and that's okay.

I'm just saying tho, i remember once some girl made a post on facebook because someone dyed their armpit hair pink, and i just remember her flaming that girl because she didn't like pinki armpit hair.

IMO if you're going to do something, then you oughta be prepared for criticism. even moreso if the status quo dislikes a certain aesthetic on someone.
It's the same thing with men in skirts/kilts. if they're walking around the place in a frilly skirt, then they're going to get mocked like hell (actually i once saw a picture of a man wearing high heels and tight trousers and the comments were nothing more than insults). you don't see anyone complaining there
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm sure there are more pressing issues in the middle east regarding girls education & safety compared to societies view on body hair on a girl (which I don't mind, but people have preferences)

Some Feminists haven't got their priorities straight, clearly.
As a feminist I've never particularly cared about body hair. Don't make such generalisations.

But the reason some care about it is because it's seen as okay for men to be hairy but not women. If it was "dirty", why aren't men expected to shave?

Personally I think hair is gross on anyone but whatever
I've never seen body hair on a woman ever, I don't know what these people are talking about when they say 'unshaven'.
Would save us women a lot more time and money for sure if it was socially accepted but honestly I don't think I'd be comfortable walking round with unshaven body hair just weird

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending