The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Stuck with decisions...

I have received an offer to study Modern Languages at Edinburgh and I would really love to hear what current students think of the university in terms of social life, the student union, the support from the university etc. I love the city, but the low student satisfaction rates scare me a bit :s-smilie: Also, if I do decide to firm Edinburgh, which is the best place to apply for accommodation? I am mainly looking for the place with the best sense of community and where I will meet the most people, catering/self-catering is a secondary point. So please if any Edinburgh student can tell me why I should choose Edinburgh over King's College London, I would be happy to hear!
Reply 1
Original post by Hollza
I have received an offer to study Modern Languages at Edinburgh and I would really love to hear what current students think of the university in terms of social life, the student union, the support from the university etc. I love the city, but the low student satisfaction rates scare me a bit :s-smilie: Also, if I do decide to firm Edinburgh, which is the best place to apply for accommodation? I am mainly looking for the place with the best sense of community and where I will meet the most people, catering/self-catering is a secondary point. So please if any Edinburgh student can tell me why I should choose Edinburgh over King's College London, I would be happy to hear!

I don't know much about Modern Languages, but I think Edinburgh and King's are broadly comparable as universities in terms of reputation, prestige and academics so you can't go wrong with either choice. However, I would say that Edinburgh has a slightly more solid and established reputation as an "ancient university". Also, there's a different atmosphere in both: I find Edinburgh to be rather conservative and, dare I say it, a tad stuffy at times (there's the odd moment I've been convinced that I'm back in the 18th century); whereas, Kings has a more relaxed, liberal feeling to it. Having said this, Edinburgh is very forward thinking and modern in lots of aspects. In terms of reputation and prestige, I'd say Edinburgh has the upper-hand slightly in the UK and certainly internationally - it has a more established reputation as a top university (not that King's is far behind!) The main difference is the location: Edinburgh is certainly very different to London for obvious reasons - size, night life, etc. Edinburgh is a safer city with some of the most breathtaking architecture you'll ever see - the Athens of the North. For me, Edinburgh would be my firm any day over King's but good luck with your decision. :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Hollza

I'm not a current student but I hold an offer to study French at Edinburgh. I hadn't really considered going to Edinburgh until Wednesday, when I attended the post-offer day. I spoke to a few French/Spanish current students while I was there - they genuinely seemed to love it there (in particular the social life and the fact it is such an "international" city). They also spoke highly about the Languages department - can't remember exactly what they said, think it was to do with the support you receive and that it is quite close knit! I also attended the Uni welcome talk and support for students seems to be of great importance to the Uni, after the post-offer visit day I can't wait to study at Edinburgh! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Hi!
I think low satisfaction rates are due to one thing- people's unrealistic expectations. Edinburgh is one of the top destinations for a lot of quite wealthy or international students, and many think it is like Oxbridge - that they will get tutorials every week and one on one teaching. When they realise that the tutorials at edinburgh are more like 10 people, and they realise it won't be the same kind of Oxbridge experience where everything is spoon fed in little tutorials then they get irritated.
The university, as a whole, has a significant reputation. It is considered one of the best in the world, especially for your humanities/social science subject area. Edinburgh is also a very cultural city that will not dwarf you like London will. I honestly think that Edinburgh's reputation, particularly on the international stage, is a bit better than KCL.
I think your money will also go further at Edinburgh than it will down in London. Living costs in Edinburgh can be quite high, but London is just insane.

Obviously KCL has a lot of strengths, and it does have a good reputation too. I think it is mainly a personal choice about where you want to spend the next few years of your life and what you want from your experience.

Personally, I received an offer from UCL and I don't see myself taking it over Edinburgh simply because I prefer Edinburgh as a university and as a city. It is difficult to choose between two great things but wherever you go, you will be happy.
Reply 4
I originally only applied to Edinburgh as a filler option, but I'm going to Edinburgh next year to do languages now as I've been so encouraged by what I've seen and heard of it.
I was originally put off by the stats like you - however, I've spoken to a fair few people who've gone there and are loving it. The social life is meant to be great and it's a large university in a cosmopolitan city which means you can really find your niche.
Also, I remember talking to a guy from the French department and he said how the support is incredible, particularly academically - they'll encourage you and help you to study what you want and people become really interesting and independent as a result.
From what I've gathered, you get at least as much out of it as you put in there, which tallies with the idea of people being disappointed because they expected to be spoon-fed. Hope this helps!

P.S. Also, when I was there I got a decent burger for £3 from a trailer right next to the train station and the nearby gallery/museum and park. Just for financial info if you're gonna compare by food prices haha
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending