The Student Room Group

Which degrees have the worst job prospects?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Accountancy is up there since you do not need a degree at all to become an accountant.

In fact, its probably a lot cheaper and easier to do the AAT (?) qualifications which certify you as an accountant (something you will very likely have to do with the degree in accounting) than to study the degree itself.
Original post by WanderingWorrier
Hm, yeah. They're obviously averaging London Met/Thames V. Uni with Cambridge/Oxford.

Not too bothered though, my chosen degree isn't on there (go Natural Science/Chemistry!)

:biggrin: Good choice! Stick with it, all the best with your GCSE's.
I'm sad because my subject is higher than I thought :frown:
Original post by czechmishaout
Oh wow, Geography is no 1? I was actually deciding between International Relations and Geography and thought Geo would be more desirable among employers. :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

IR is actually one of the most respected social sciences out there. This is based on a HESA document I came across. I've come across a few articles that say your probably better off studying IR than politics :/ This is especially the case if you pick desirable modules and modules related to the international economy.

LSE IR graduates for instance, after 6 months, on average, get paid 27k. That's on par with many economics graduates from slightly less prestigious universities.

Obviously my entire point stems from the fact that you study IR at a decent university.

But as I said, those are just articles :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
:biggrin: Good choice! Stick with it, all the best with your GCSE's.

I don't know why French is on that list. Aren't language grads desirable?
Well , the source isn't exactly reliable.
Surprised politics and philsophy aren't on the list haha.
Reply 28
Assuming that they've included conservatoires in their calculations, the prospects for a Music degree at an average university will be probably be a bit lower than they appear on that list. Still it's a bit weird to see subjects like History and Geography so low down though, thought they were generally regarded as degrees that gain you good transferable skills?
No law? Surprised, generally French part of my degeee seems more marketable.
Reply 30
They'll be measuring employment in the field of the degree, which is such a poor way of doing things that it's no wonder you get those results.
Original post by Jkizer
Accountancy is up there since you do not need a degree at all to become an accountant.

In fact, its probably a lot cheaper and easier to do the AAT (?) qualifications which certify you as an accountant (something you will very likely have to do with the degree in accounting) than to study the degree itself.

If you do an accountancy degree you become exempt from doing any AAT exams. Also if you did another degree such as Ancient History and then decided to go into accounting it would take another 2-3 years, unlike if you had already done accounting as a degree.
Original post by llamaspoon
I don't know why French is on that list. Aren't language grads desirable?

Why would they be?
I can confidently say that French being on that list is utter tripe. Employers go mad for language graduates, what is this thing on about? I mean, I don't even do a language degree, yet I know that.

That's what you would think, but believe me, I got a first class degree in two languages from a Russell Group and it is much less desirable than people think. A language is a fantastic employability enhancement in combination with another skill - Law + French is a great degree for example; same for French + Accounting or French + Management. But the only roles open to graduates offering French alone, if you don't want to go abroad, teach, or do a grad scheme which accepts any degree and it's therefore irrelevant that you did French, are call centre jobs or customer service jobs, and you command about 50p extra an hour on top of an English language call centre agent for your language skills - big wow.

Luckily I have managed to find a decent graduate job but that was only once I ditched any hope of working with languages and built up some experience in a business-related skill area. My tip to anybody interested in doing a language degree would be to do a combined major with something which is already employable.
I would have thought:

David Beckham Studies
Film studies
History of Art
Classics
Possibly English (literature or language)
Music
(edited 10 years ago)
Why would they be?

Increased globalisation, I'd have thought that fluency in another language would certainly be desirable in the eyes of any employer.
Reply 36
From that website: 'These results were compiled from a number of sources and it does also depend where you study the degree course.'

it does also depend where you study the degree course.

Ffs, it's not even grammatically correct. How can you take that seriously?

Som1 mad cuz their degree is worthless :biggrin:? Go on Neg me, Oh wait? :colone:
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Increased globalisation, I'd have thought that fluency in another language would certainly be desirable in the eyes of any employer.

Many people are bi-lingual, without degrees. Probably know french at a higher level, especially if they were brought up with it. I know English, Swahili & Arabic and I've never did any academic subjects in any of those languages. I don't see how it's particularly relevant in terms of doing a particular job as you don't need a degree to do the actual job.
Many people are bi-lingual, without degrees. Probably know french at a higher level, especially if they were brought up with it. I know English, Swahili & Arabic and I've never did any academic subjects in any of those languages. I don't see how it's particularly relevant in terms of doing a particular job as you don't need a degree to do the actual job.

Hm fair enough but a lot of people can't be arsed to learn the language themselves and so would employ a translator, who'd probably have a degree in the language.

Someone above me said a language is better in conjunction with another skill e.g. law with french, I agree with this.

Habari yako mzee?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending